U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 01:42 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,063,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post

Am I talking to brick walls? How many times must I repeat it? PEOPLE DON'T AND CAN"T ALWAYS COME DOWN TO DOWNTOWN FOR FUN. They do that on occasions. And fun touristy places aren't exactly a part of regular life even for people that live in the city.
So let me get this straight, because a city like Indianapolis has 830,000 people in the city and 1.8 million in the metro...it's a larger city than say Boston with 650,000 in the city and 4 million in the metro, or it's larger than St. Louis with 320,000 in the city and 2.4 million in the metro. Is that what you're suggesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,878,432 times
Quote:
No what's really retarded is to think most people in the suburbs to the city for work. Do most people in Indiana come to Indianapolis for work? Exactly. There are around 13 million people that live in the NY CSA outside of NYC. So that would mean only around 30% of those are coming to work in Manhattan. NYC is a special place so it's to be obviously expected it would higher than usual.

Still that still doesn't answer my other point about how they are actually exploring the city on a regular basis after a long tiring day at work. I mean if their house is really that far away it would obviously indicate that it would take a significant amount of time and money just to travel and pay for gas. Are you suggesting people in NJ and CT are traveling all the way to NYC anytime they are doing any regular things things like going grocery shopping, the mall, fast food places, bars, nightclubs, walking to the park, going to the movies etc? Work is not the only thing people do in their life.

Now as far as visiting to see attractions is concerned yes I said that much myself. But those places are always filled with tourists anyways and like I already said people don't and can't do that on a regular basis.
ur sayin all the way to nyc like it takes 5 hrs to get there, i can be in midtown manhattan in 20 min
and thats exactly what im suggesting
i actually went to nyc last night and didnt even do anyth special but walk around for fun

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM

669 posts, read 726,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So let me get this straight, because a city like Indianapolis has 830,000 people in the city and 1.8 million in the metro...it's a larger city than say Boston with 650,000 in the city and 4 million in the metro, or it's larger than St. Louis with 320,000 in the city and 2.4 million in the metro. Is that what you're suggesting?
What grade did you receive in your English classes? A metro is NOT a city.

Let me get something straight too then? Is this what you believe?

Quote:
Are you suggesting people in NJ and CT are traveling all the way to NYC anytime they are doing any regular things things like going grocery shopping, the mall, fast food places, bars, nightclubs, walking to the park, going to the movies etc?
Yes, Indianapolis as a CITY is larger in population than Boston and Seattle. But I'm also aware there are a larger variety of things to do in Boston and Seattle.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
ur sayin all the way to nyc like it takes 5 hrs to get there, i can be in midtown manhattan in 20 min
and thats exactly what im suggesting
i actually went to nyc last night and didnt even do anyth special but walk around for fun
Well unlike you not everybody is going to waste 63 mi of gas money to travel from Newak to Manhattan just to walk around for fun on a daily basis.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
No what's really retarded is to think most people in the suburbs to the city for work. Do most people in Indiana come to Indianapolis for work? Exactly. There are around 13 million people that live in the NY CSA outside of NYC. So that would mean only around 30% of those are coming to work in Manhattan. NYC is a special place so it's to be obviously expected it would higher than usual.

Still that still doesn't answer my other point about how they are actually exploring the city on a regular basis after a long tiring day at work. I mean if their house is really that far away it would obviously indicate that it would take a significant amount of time and money just to travel and pay for gas. Are you suggesting people in NJ and CT are traveling all the way to NYC anytime they are doing any regular things things like going grocery shopping, the mall, fast food places, bars, nightclubs, walking to the park, going to the movies etc? Work is not the only thing people do in their life.

Now as far as visiting to see attractions is concerned yes I said that much myself. But those places are always filled with tourists anyways and like I already said people don't and can't do that on a regular basis.
Well, for NYC that's definitely true. They don't come in for stuff like grocery shopping (or going to malls which doesn't make much sense since malls generally work a lot better in suburbia and isn't usually what one looks for in a city), but definitely for shopping for clothes and tchotchkes, clubbing, bar-hopping, and events, NYC city proper gets a huge influx from the suburbs. The name generally given for them is the bridge-and-tunnel crowd. The crazy thing is that I've started seeing them appear in parts of Brooklyn from Jersey where the commute just to come out and get back must be absurdly long and sort of pricey. I don't understand why you think it's so crazy since that's the whole draw of having an urban and lively city.

I've also noticed the same for Philadelphia with Center City having an especially large draw for a lot of the Philly suburbs both in Pennsylvania and in southern New Jersey. The funny thing is that for both Philly and New York, there are oftentimes bars, clubs, and lounges that cater much more to the commuting crowd which seems somewhat absurd as you'd think it might make more sense to commute somewhere outside the central city but maybe it makes sense in being a more central meeting place if the crowd of people are people living in different parts of the metro.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Well unlike you not everybody is going to waste 63 mi of gas money to travel from Newak to Manhattan just to walk around for fun on a daily basis.
i thot u from another planet, but now i see u from FL, which is the same thing, no wonder

Old 04-28-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, for NYC that's definitely true. They don't come in for stuff like grocery shopping (or going to malls which doesn't make much sense since malls generally work a lot better in suburbia and isn't usually what one looks for in a city), but definitely for shopping for clothes and tchotchkes, clubbing, bar-hopping, and events, NYC city proper gets a huge influx from the suburbs. The name generally given for them is the bridge-and-tunnel crowd. The crazy thing is that I've started seeing them appear in parts of Brooklyn from Jersey where the commute just to come out and get back must be absurdly long and sort of pricey. I don't understand why you think it's so crazy since that's the whole draw of having an urban and lively city.

I've also noticed the same for Philadelphia with Center City having an especially large draw for a lot of the Philly suburbs both in Pennsylvania and in southern New Jersey. The funny thing is that for both Philly and New York, there are oftentimes bars, clubs, and lounges that cater much more to the commuting crowd which seems somewhat absurd as you'd think it might make more sense to commute somewhere outside the central city but maybe it makes sense in being a more central meeting place if the crowd of people are people living in different parts of the metro.
exactly, people often go the urban core for entertainment and amenities, this guy lives in a box and never goes out apparently, tryin to argue whats not arguable at all, like get outta here

Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I think it's crazy because most suburbs would offer those things. Yeah maybe not to the same extent a major city but I don't believe that most people are willing to waste the money and distance to come down a major city just to get a more variety of things. Plus like I said NYC is a special place so it's kind of unfair to compare it to most metro cities around the world. Like I lived in two different Orlando suburbs and we only went to the city for those rare things like to see attractions and things like that. From my experience of living in a suburb of a much more average metro I would say that most people here were satisfied with what they got in the suburbs and other suburbs around it. Not a lot of our suburbs felt much of need to go all the way down to Orlando for those things.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
i thot u from another planet, but now i see u from FL, which is the same thing, no wonder
Quote:
exactly, people often go the urban core for entertainment and amenities, this guy lives in a box and never goes out apparently, tryin to argue whats not arguable at all, like get outta here
Well grow some brians be more open-minded. Your average American place is a lot closer to FL than NYC

We don't all live in a NYC slum called Jersey that feel the need to go to NYC anytime we want something.

Last edited by yyuusr; 04-28-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I think it's crazy because most suburbs would offer those things. Yeah maybe not to the same extent a major city but I don't believe that most people are willing to waste the money and distance to come down a major city just to get a more variety of things. Plus like I said NYC is a special place so it's kind of unfair to compare it to most metro cities around the world. Like I lived in two different Orlando suburbs and we only went to the city for those rare things like to see attractions and things like that. From my experience of living in a suburb of a much more average metro I would say that most people here were satisfied with what they got in the suburbs and other suburbs around it. Not a lot of our suburbs felt much of need to go all the way down to Orlando for those things.
not all cities and suburbs are like orlando's city and suburbs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or