U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,138,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
With decent economy and good nightlife
Dallas

Fort Worth

Houston

Austin

San Antonio

Also, Southern Louisiana cities are worth a look as well as Shreveport/Bossier City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM

6,976 posts, read 12,508,867 times
I find lower COL locales are lower cost for a reason. Enough said on that one.

Phoenix for one city/region that usually gets the lower COL rating for affordable living.

Personally I'm not seeing it and I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed. If they haven't then more power to them, but I don't see it or feel that lower COL here.

Yes housing and property taxes are lower here than many areas. I agree with that. However as far as I'm concerned there is a lot more to consider when figuring ones' total COL.

The utilities here are high and they are a year round bill. Not everyone has a house where they can live without heat, and it does get cold enough for heat here. Many houses seem to have been made to keep cooling cost down in summer. Yet in the winter these houses are cold even when its 60 and 70 outside. Add in all the summer cooling involved then its a year round big bill to deal with.

Vehicles. You can't live here without a well maintained vehicle. Add in all the gas and maintenance involved due to all the long distance driving here. The car insurance the high registration cost for that vehicle. You have to have some reserve income for these bills and if you have to suddenly replace that vehicle. Because you can't live here without that vehicle. Since the area was made so you would have to own one. Which is sad in itself for such a large Metro.

The high sales taxes. In some communities its over 10 percent, and its even on groceries at a lower percent. The income tax may not be extremely hi, but with such a high sales tax. What's the story with that?

So you have to add everything up because one size does not fit all. I'm thankful so many find Metro Phoenix so cheap but I don't. Unless one thinks the house and property tax are it on what they spend in life. Then again whats not being funded properly by the lower property taxes.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM

181 posts, read 273,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Chicago is actually A MAJOR CITY and it is very affordable their. A house on the northwest side is the same price as a house in the northeast side of cincy. No joke!
Isn't the north west ghetto? It seemed like that to me lol

Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM

573 posts, read 879,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Too bad Indy is not a "major US city"
Indianapolis is definitely a major city with nearly 2 million in the metro. That is just a stupid comment.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM

10,569 posts, read 13,146,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Too bad Indy is not a "major US city"
And it has no night life.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM

10,569 posts, read 13,146,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
Isn't the north west ghetto? It seemed like that to me lol
NWside of Chicago a ghetto? Edison Park, Edgebrook, Sauganash, Dunning, Jefferson Park? Nope

Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,080,193 times
I've heard people complain that Chicago or New York City have no nightlife...pure ignorance.

Indianapolis is a major city with almost 2 million in the metro, it DOES have a night life. Of course you can't compare it to Chicago's, but Chicago is a whole separate league of cities.

I lived in a city of barely 100,000 people for most of my life, IT has a night life, we had some big bands come through the clubs there. Depends on what your definition of nightlife is I guess.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM

21 posts, read 60,727 times
Columbus, Ohio is one of the affordable major cities.

Thanks to state government, education, finance, and insurance, Columbus has a good stable economy compared to most of the state.

The city itself is becoming more diverse with many new residents coming from other countries. It is rumored to have the 4th largest GLBT population in the Midwest after Chicago, Twin Cities, and St. Louis.

You can't beat having vibrant neighborhoods such as University District, Arena District, Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, and German Village.

There are constructions to improve Downtown Columbus so it is becoming better.

It has great nightlife and sport scenes (OSU Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, and only a few hours away from more pro teams in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Indy, and Detroit).

Columbus is within a day's drive from 52% of the U.S.

It is truly one of my favorite cities in the country!

Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,884,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I find lower COL locales are lower cost for a reason. Enough said on that one.

Phoenix for one city/region that usually gets the lower COL rating for affordable living.

Personally I'm not seeing it and I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed. If they haven't then more power to them, but I don't see it or feel that lower COL here.

Yes housing and property taxes are lower here than many areas. I agree with that. However as far as I'm concerned there is a lot more to consider when figuring ones' total COL.

The utilities here are high and they are a year round bill. Not everyone has a house where they can live without heat, and it does get cold enough for heat here. Many houses seem to have been made to keep cooling cost down in summer. Yet in the winter these houses are cold even when its 60 and 70 outside. Add in all the summer cooling involved then its a year round big bill to deal with.

Vehicles. You can't live here without a well maintained vehicle. Add in all the gas and maintenance involved due to all the long distance driving here. The car insurance the high registration cost for that vehicle. You have to have some reserve income for these bills and if you have to suddenly replace that vehicle. Because you can't live here without that vehicle. Since the area was made so you would have to own one. Which is sad in itself for such a large Metro.

The high sales taxes. In some communities its over 10 percent, and its even on groceries at a lower percent. The income tax may not be extremely hi, but with such a high sales tax. What's the story with that?

So you have to add everything up because one size does not fit all. I'm thankful so many find Metro Phoenix so cheap but I don't. Unless one thinks the house and property tax are it on what they spend in life. Then again whats not being funded properly by the lower property taxes.
dc, boston and seattle are more expensive than chi while chi is a higher tier city that offers more
thus desirability does not always correspond with col

Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,813,173 times
3 words: Rust Belt Cities
You have urban living and usually a good diversity of people and jobs while having low costs.

Also arent most southern cities cheap because they are sprawl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or