Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 02:46 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,357,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What exactly makes a city world class? Is Seattle world class? I would say so.

Is Boston world class? I would say so, yet rather expensive.

Is St. Louis world class, even though it doesn't have a proper coast line, just a river? I would say so.

Is New Orleans world class? What about Detroit? What are the requirements?
A combination of a lot of things. Economy, worldwide reputation, transportation, restaurants, shops, attractions, etc. etc. Chicago does really well on all this. It's a region pushing 10 million people, and with that comes all the amenities one would expect to find in a city that size, minus the huge price tag. Seattle and even Boston don't quite compare, yet they're more expensive on average.

Americity, $850 a month to live in one of the great urban environments in the United States is an absolute steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 AM

100 posts, read 147,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, but I said in there that there's studios in that area for under $700 a month....so..? And I have mentioned a lot of other areas, even ones like my friend living alone in Gold Coast for under $800/month, my ex girlfriend living alone for $800/month in Lincoln Park, and citing 1 bedrooms in Edgewater for under $850/month. I don't get what your point is. Yeah sure my girlfriend doesn't live alone, but I mentioned all these other places.

Want to see other affordable places?

1) Starts at $850/month for a 1 bedroom right on Halsted near 2 red line stations. The same place has studios starting at $700/month
425 Roscoe | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

2) Under $900/month for a 1 bedroom starting right near the lake in Lakeview
3030 Sheridan | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

3) Right near the food on Argyle in Uptown for $845/month starting for a 1 bedroom
West Argyle Apartments and Argyle Corridor Apartments | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

4) $700 for a studio right off of Broadway, Diversey, and Clark and near a Brown Line Station
2827 North Burling | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

5) $705/month for Belmont/Halsted studio
The Brennan | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

6) Lincoln Park starting at $785 for a studio right on the Park
2140 Lincoln Park West | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

There are TONS more...I just listed mostly ones in Lakeview (one in LP and one in Uptown).
I could easily show you stuff like 1 bedrooms in Edgewater starting at $650/month like this one, studios starting at $525.
- 5726 Winthrop | Chicago, IL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

You are also talking about one part. Yeah, I'm aware that people want to live alone sometimes. I have a 1 bedroom myself in the Gold Coast, but you have to realize that not everyone else is like you either. You can't just say, in the name of affordability, that affordability ONLY counts for 1 bedrooms and studios.

Also, yeah compared to the Midwest cities, sure Chicago is "expensive", but guess what? No other midwest city comes close to packing a punch like Chicago. You want to compare it to Indianapolis? Not even close. You compare it to its peers. Compare it to NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, DC, and San Francisco which offer similar living in places and it's a ****ing outright bargain. I can't even tell you how many times my NYC friends are amazed by how my apartment in the Gold Coast isn't $3500-$4000/month. Try getting a legit 1 bedroom apartment in NYC for under $1000/month in some areas that isn't even Manhattan. You can't.
I see your point...but I see my point as well. Sure it's cheaper than NYC and LA etc... but it's still expensive...I personally think it's too expensive...but that's me... I think I've just lived here too long at this point....lol

Honestly, did not have to put all those links for apts...I didn't click on one of them...I won't ever be looking for an apt here. I haven't looked for apts myself since 1995...I just hear about the prices from my friends that have been looking for apts...especially over the last two years...and it's shocking to me how much they are... That's why I didn't get how the hell your girfriend lived in a great location in Chicago for only $750 a month. But, I did see the areas that you listed for the links...I personally wouldn't live in Edgewater or Uptown...but that's besides the point.

Take care...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2112 View Post
I see your point...but I see my point as well. Sure it's cheaper than NYC and LA etc... but it's still expensive...I personally think it's too expensive...but that's me... I think I've just lived here too long at this point....lol

Honestly, did not have to put all those links for apts...I didn't click on one of them...I won't ever be looking for an apt here. I haven't looked for apts myself since 1995...I just hear about the prices from my friends that have been looking for apts...especially over the last two years...and it's shocking to me how much they are... That's why I didn't get how the hell your girfriend lived in a great location in Chicago for only $750 a month. But, I did see the areas that you listed for the links...I personally wouldn't live in Edgewater or Uptown...but that's besides the point.

Take care...
No offense, but out of the 8 links I posted, only two were either Edgewater or Uptown, and the areas they're in are decent areas. The rest were Lakeview and Lakeview East and one Lincoln Park. Not to mention all the mentions of my other friends who even live in Gold Coast paying under $775/month with a 10th floor view of the skyline or even other areas like Irving Park paying $500/month. So you prove you don't listen and like to be proven anything other than what you think you already know. Edgewater is also a pretty good neighborhood in many areas now, especially in Andersonville. Uptown is decent in areas, and some sketchy, sure but it's getting better in those sketch areas even (especially after a huge Target went up south of Wilson). You're just proving you don't know much about the city at this point. You might have almost 20 years ago, but this is not 20 years ago.

Aand also no offense, but your friends are looking in the wrong places if they're bitching about how much it is in Chicago. If all they're doing is looking at Lincoln Park, Streeterville, Gold Coast, and River North, then they should be branching out into other neighborhoods. I am rather well equipped with rental prices in Chicago and know there's plenty of stuff available for pretty cheap here. I help people find stuff on a budget almost every day. The city is not expensive especially for being a world class city. I have MANY MANY MANY friends living in areas like Lakeview and even Wicker Park for pretty cheap.

In fact, I was in Ukrainian Village last night at a 4 bedroom apartment in a complex that's no more than 5 years old with granite counter tops, really nice new wood cabinets with a full kitchen, a nice fireplace. Brand new appliances and everything. 2200 sq feet with a massive living room that could easily fit 50 people for a party and it was only $600/month per person. There are places that expensive in Iowa for that price. I would know because I lived in one like that in Iowa just a handful of years ago.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,614,604 times
chicago is def more affordable than other expensive cities like nyc, but like someone else mentioned u shudnt put prices per person or whatever as it confuses people, 95% of people dont want roommates and when wonderin bout rent assume prices for a whole place

Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
chicago is def more affordable than other expensive cities like nyc, but like someone else mentioned u shudnt put prices per person or whatever as it confuses people, 95% of people dont want roommates and when wonderin bout rent assume prices for a whole place
Every single link I posted was for a 1 bedroom and studio. Of course they were ignored. There's a lot more out there than those 8 places.

I'm not sure where you got your stats about "95% of people don't want roommates" anyway. Many people don't, but there's a lot of people who don't mind it. It's pretty easy to make up statistics for ****.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Every single link I posted was for a 1 bedroom and studio. Of course they were ignored. There's a lot more out there than those 8 places.

I'm not sure where you got your stats about "95% of people don't want roommates" anyway. Many people don't, but there's a lot of people who don't mind it. It's pretty easy to make up statistics for ****.
its jus my perspective, not a stat, for sure its a vast majority tho
and yea i saw yo other places, but u keep bringin per person pricing into this, which shudnt be mentioned cuz it becomes less clear, people can figure out themselves whats their share if they are in that situation

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-roommate.html
Let's see if its close to 95% lol

Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
its jus my perspective, not a stat, for sure its a vast majority tho
and yea i saw yo other places, but u keep bringin per person pricing into this, which shudnt be mentioned cuz it becomes less clear, people can figure out themselves whats their share if they are in that situation
Listen dude, I know you don't want to live with roommates, but you aren't everybody. Cost of living, especially in an urban setting calculates with everything. Sorry, but places with roommates aren't omitted magically from cost of living. Everything is counted. The difference between a 2 bedroom apartment and a 1 bedroom isn't drastic. You can get a 1 bedroom in the same area as my girlfriend lives for only $100/month extra. It's not like we're talking $500/month difference. if someone is moving somewhere, they have to consider all sides for COL. Your share IS what you're paying if you're in a roommate situation.

Sorry, but just because you don't want a roommate doesn't mean it shouldnt' count as overall COL. The difference is not amazingly great in most areas. Housing stock is housing stock.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM

its jus unnecesary cuz obviously its cheaper with a roommate, but people can figure it out if they want to do that, it jus becomes confusin cuz u cud say o well u kno u cud live in nyc with roommates and only pay $500 a month or wat not, which wud make it seem affordable

Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
its jus unnecesary cuz obviously its cheaper with a roommate, but people can figure it out if they want to do that, it jus becomes confusin cuz u cud say o well u kno u cud live in nyc with roommates and only pay $500 a month or wat not, which wud make it seem affordable
Cool story bro, but if you really think you can't count 2+ bedrooms as part of a city's cost of living, then you have a lot to ****ing learn about this ****. It's not omitted from Cost of Living. When it is, call me up and I'll take you out to a $1000 dinner.

Let me reiterate it now for the third time. It's not that much more expensive in these areas for a one bedroom versus having roommates. You can get a one bedroom in my gf's area for only $100 more than she's paying ($750/month).

Hopefully 3rd or 4th time is the charm. There are studios for under $600-$650/month in Chicago in good or decent areas. There are one bedrooms in good areas for under $700-$800/month in good or decent areas. I posted 8 links out of numerous that APPARENTLY nobody reads **** anymore. Not sure what else you want me to say. You want 2000 sq feet now? Want 3 decks and a veranda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.