U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM

100 posts, read 126,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No offense, but out of the 8 links I posted, only two were either Edgewater or Uptown, and the areas they're in are decent areas. The rest were Lakeview and Lakeview East and one Lincoln Park. Not to mention all the mentions of my other friends who even live in Gold Coast paying under $775/month with a 10th floor view of the skyline or even other areas like Irving Park paying $500/month. So you prove you don't listen and like to be proven anything other than what you think you already know. Edgewater is also a pretty good neighborhood in many areas now, especially in Andersonville. Uptown is decent in areas, and some sketchy, sure but it's getting better in those sketch areas even (especially after a huge Target went up south of Wilson). You're just proving you don't know much about the city at this point. You might have almost 20 years ago, but this is not 20 years ago.

Aand also no offense, but your friends are looking in the wrong places if they're bitching about how much it is in Chicago. If all they're doing is looking at Lincoln Park, Streeterville, Gold Coast, and River North, then they should be branching out into other neighborhoods. I am rather well equipped with rental prices in Chicago and know there's plenty of stuff available for pretty cheap here. I help people find stuff on a budget almost every day. The city is not expensive especially for being a world class city. I have MANY MANY MANY friends living in areas like Lakeview and even Wicker Park for pretty cheap.

In fact, I was in Ukrainian Village last night at a 4 bedroom apartment in a complex that's no more than 5 years old with granite counter tops, really nice new wood cabinets with a full kitchen, a nice fireplace. Brand new appliances and everything. 2200 sq feet with a massive living room that could easily fit 50 people for a party and it was only $600/month per person. There are places that expensive in Iowa for that price. I would know because I lived in one like that in Iowa just a handful of years ago.
First of all...I never said how many links you posted were from Uptown or Edgewater...I just said that you had posted ones from there and I wouldn't live in either one of those places..and believe me...I know plenty about the city...I've lived in it since 1987...and I know all about Uptown, Rogers Park, Lincoln Park, etc...my kids went to Sacred Heart which is on Sheridan Road and Grandville...we were there every single year starting in 2000 and I was driving them everyday to and from school from school every single day for more than 10 years and just stopped last year...and I have friends who live all over the city. You need to remember that just because you think a neighborhood is decent and good...doesn't mean everyone does... tomato...tomato...

Actually the friends that I was talking about don't live and wouldn't live in either one of those neighborhoods you mentioned that they should stop looking at like Lincoln Park, Streeterville etc... a few of them live near Bell school...near Western and Addison...and the others that I was talking about live in Ukrainian Village...Sooo...you're wrong on that one...Some of them live in Wicker Park and some other parts of the city...and I hear all about it when they have been looking for apartments... and I could be mistaken...but I don't believe that I said my friends were bitching about what their rent...I'm the one who said they pay from $1500-2500 for a two bedroom and I think that's crazy... and so is $2400 a month for a 4 bedroom apt...if you're gonna spend money like that...buy something! But even my friends in their mid twenties wouldn't live in a place with 3 other roommates...no one wants to continue to live a dorm life after college...

Last edited by SMOKEY2112; 02-04-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Cool story bro, but if you really think you can't count 2+ bedrooms as part of a city's cost of living, then you have a lot to ****ing learn about this ****. It's not omitted from Cost of Living. When it is, call me up and I'll take you out to a $1000 dinner.

Let me reiterate it now for the third time. It's not that much more expensive in these areas for a one bedroom versus having roommates. You can get a one bedroom in my gf's area for only $100 more than she's paying ($750/month).

Hopefully 3rd or 4th time is the charm. There are studios for under $600-$650/month in Chicago in good or decent areas. There are one bedrooms in good areas for under $700-$800/month in good or decent areas. I posted 8 links out of numerous that APPARENTLY nobody reads **** anymore. Not sure what else you want me to say. You want 2000 sq feet now? Want 3 decks and a veranda?
Hey..now you're describing where I live!!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,016,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEY2112 View Post
but I don't believe that I said my friends were bitching about what their rent...I'm the one who said they pay from $1500-2500 for a two bedroom and I think that's crazy... and so is $2400 a month for a 4 bedroom apt...if you're gonna spend money like that...buy something! But even my friends in their mid twenties wouldn't live in a place with 3 other roommates...no one wants to continue to live a dorm life after college...
$2400/month is TOTAL not per person. $600/month per person is far from crazy. If you're talking about $1500-$2500/month for a 2 bedroom EACH PERSON in wicker park, then they're simply over paying for things and probably have one of those ultra modern ridiculous apartments. I've personally never seen anything in Wicker Park even remotely close to as high as $2500/person in a 2+ bedroom. I've seen a few 1 bedrooms for around $1500/month that were very, very nice and pretty spacious.

Again, simply put, they're looking in the wrong places or their expectations are WAY too high. I know the prices here and trust me...if that's just for one person, your friends have no idea what they're doing. Sorry. If it's for 2 people, then $1500/month for a 2 bedroom total in Wicker Park is a great deal and your friends are cheap. I've been to plenty of great places there where the renters were paying no more than $900/month total per person for a very modern apartment with brand new everything and tons of room.

Per person, your friends numbers are almost virtually unheard of for those areas. If it's total, then $1500 total for a 2 bedroom is a great deal. Your friends probably don't belong there if they can't pay $750/month each.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-04-2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
$2400/month is TOTAL not per person. $600/month per person is far from crazy. If you're talking about $1500-$2500/month for a 2 bedroom EACH PERSON in wicker park, then they're simply over paying for things and probably have one of those ultra modern ridiculous apartments. I've personally never seen anything in Wicker Park even remotely close to as high as $2500/person in a 2+ bedroom. I've seen a few 1 bedrooms for around $1500/month that were very, very nice and pretty spacious.

Again, simply put, they're looking in the wrong places or their expectations are WAY too high. I know the prices here and trust me...if that's just for one person, your friends have no idea what they're doing. Sorry. If it's for 2 people, then $1500/month for a 2 bedroom total in Wicker Park is a great deal and your friends are cheap. I've been to plenty of great places there where the renters were paying no more than $900/month total per person for a very modern apartment with brand new everything and tons of room.

Per person, your friends numbers are almost virtually unheard of for those areas. If it's total, then $1500 total for a 2 bedroom is a great deal. Your friends probably don't belong there if they can't pay $750/month each.
No **** sherlock...For the ZILLIONTH time...when people talk about rents for an apartment...no one...except for you...quotes a price per person... Everyone else is talking about how much the rent is for the whole apartment....When you call a landlord to find out about a place for rent...do you ask that landlord how much the rent for the apartment is or do you ask that landlord how much the rent is per person? And you have to understand that just because someone is renting a two bedroom apt doesn't automatically mean that there are two people living there...Many people need more than 1 bd...you'll see when you get out of college... aaaand I don't recall me stating anything remotely close to meaning they couldn't afford something...and I also didn't say anything about them paying anything "each". When most normal people talk about apartments...they are talking about the rent for the WHOLE apartment... like I said...no one quotes apartments "per person"... AND like I said previously I'm the one stating that it's expensive...NOT THEM...obviously if they are living in a 2 bedroom apartment BY THEMSELVES....and they picked out to live in a 2bd apt BY THEMSELVES...and their rent is $1500-2500...they can afford it....duh. My p's have owned apt buildings and have been landlords since I've been 4 years old...I know what I'm talking about pal...

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM

14,798 posts, read 19,016,286 times
Actually, when you quote cost of living, the entire spectrum of housing is counted, not just studios and one bedrooms for rent, and not just houses or condos for purchase. Most things are counted. Studio/one bedroom is one of the categories, but it's not the only category when calculating it out. Not everyone who moves to the city does live alone and there are a lot, believe it or not..oddly enough, who don't want to live alone who can afford it (I have a lot of workers like this, even though they make close to 6 figures. They for whatever reason, want roommates still. I don't know why).

As far as everything else goes, I have quoted a handful of studios and one bedrooms that are very much affordable and that's your own problem if you don't want to read it. A 2 bedroom in Wicker Park for $1500 is in no way expensive or even close. The whole thing is about "affordability." A 2 bedroom for $1500/month is CHEAP, especially in a big time neighborhood in a city like Chicago.

Yes master, you're so unique because your parents own buildings. As if I don't have numerous friends who don't either. Give me a break.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Please remind me when I was quoting the cost of living...

Like I said...tomato...tomato...

I also said nothing about being unique...even though I am...

You have a great day now son...

Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 AM

2,665 posts, read 4,875,928 times
so wat bout detroit, is it really as bad as its portrayed?

Old 03-24-2013, 12:35 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,056,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
so wat bout detroit, is it really as bad as its portrayed?
Yes, I would stay away from Detroit at all costs. Suburban Detroit is okay, but the perk of living in the suburbs is you're close to a big city with stuff to do, not many fun and safe things to do in Detroit.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Yes, I would stay away from Detroit at all costs. Suburban Detroit is okay, but the perk of living in the suburbs is you're close to a big city with stuff to do, not many fun and safe things to do in Detroit.
yea, exactly, i prefer suburbs but wan be close enuff to enjoy city life

Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 AM

id like to hear more on st louis and cleveland
indy seems more country than those, is that fair to say? which one has more things to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or