Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
3 words: Rust Belt Cities
You have urban living and usually a good diversity of people and jobs while having low costs.

Also aren't most southern cities cheap because they are sprawl?
I agree regarding your first assertion. If one takes a look at many of the supposed "Rust Belt cities" you'll see many have unemployment rates lower than the national average, decent wages and lower housing costs. The second assertion, not so much. Many of the southern cities are evolving in terms of sprawl and consist mainly of service sector jobs and somewhat high unemployment rates coupled with disproportionately high living costs versus salary. Prime example: my current city of residence Orlando, Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:08 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
If you want inexpensive major cities with nearly everything their counterparts offer: Chicago, Philadelphia or Houston.

If you want inexpensive smaller cities with nice character: St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh or even Cincinnati.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
If you want inexpensive major cities with nearly everything their counterparts offer: Chicago, Philadelphia or Houston.

If you want inexpensive smaller cities with nice character: St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh or even Cincinnati.
I like how you egregiously glance over Cleveland in the second group.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Pittsburgh is very cheap, with an awesome creative and entrepreneurial spirit. Within a days drive of almost major North Eastern and midwestern City.

I could live in Cleveland. The Lake is a nice amenity

St. Louis and Cincy are cheap. That's all I'll say.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Pittsburgh is very cheap, with an awesome creative and entrepreneurial spirit. Within a days drive of almost major North Eastern and midwestern City.

I could live in Cleveland. The Lake is a nice amenity

St. Louis and Cincy are cheap. That's all I'll say.
I'd consider the lake an amenity if it has beaches. Does anyone actually swim in Lake Eerie?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,126,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd consider the lake an amenity if it has beaches. Does anyone actually swim in Lake Eerie?
Absolutely. Just google Lake Erie beaches. There are some really nice ones, including Mentor Headlands, Presque Isle, Cedar Point, and many others.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 01-26-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Tampa and Orlando down here in Florida are very affordable and offer some very good nightlife. You have to be able to stand year long heat though!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
wat bout atl

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
For major cities...you will get the most bang for your buck in Chicago without a doubt.

My girlfriend lives in one of the most desirable parts of the city. A 3 minute walk out her door opens up literally hundreds of restaurants, bars, shops, theaters, etc and continues that way in each direction (except towards the lake) for literally miles. She is right near 4 bus stops and a few blocks from a major train line. She is 500 feet from a huge lake that has a huge park right near her including even a golf course on it and of course walking paths. She is a 15 minute train ride from the "downtown" neighborhoods even though her neighborhood is teeming with people and nightlife on the weekend nights (and of course in the summer just in general). Her place though is quiet surprisingly.

Guess how much she pays for that? $750 a month. I have other friends in the area who pay less than $600/month in a big 4 bedroom place which includes a full kitchen and not one but two living rooms. Try finding this in NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington DC. You aren't going to find it in these cities or even close to it.

There are other big cities in the US, but they don't offer nearly as much as Chicago. As far as the "league of cities" go, Chicago is in the league with NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, DC, and San Fran. They're all in the same league, but Chicago is by far the cheapest out of all of them.

Houston? Big city, but it doesn't offer nearly as much. Phoenix? Same thing. Cleveland? Can be a cool city, but not even close. Indianapolis? No thanks. Atlanta? So so.

Chicago in many areas is a smaller, less dense version of New York City with DC and a tiny bit of Boston mixed in but it's incredibly cheaper in the areas you want to be in if you are the type to want to live in an area with tons of stuff. It all depends on what you want of course. Maybe you don't want a city of almost 3 million people and there are other much smaller cities like Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland (some of it), Pittsburgh, etc which are still cheap, great cities.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
The big problem with Chicago is the violent crime rate, especially homicides. I think Philly is almost as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.