U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Knob Hill
2,064 posts, read 3,257,310 times
Reputation: 2254

Advertisements

Say it ain't so!

Most dangerous U.S. cities - Detroit (1) - CNNMoney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,549 posts, read 2,268,294 times
Reputation: 1801
But But BUt crime is everywhere in the city of Houston. It's not safe anywhere in Houston *sarcastic tone btw* mocking all the people that complain Houston is such a dangerous city!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: 77380
56 posts, read 95,724 times
Reputation: 58
Been to every city on the list except Oakland and Baltimore. For the supposed benefits of living in Houston, the growing crime issues are a real deterrent from us personally wanting to stay here. Too many random incidents of burglaries, holdups, shootings (for changing a tire on the side of the road, really?) and carjackings all over town - I'm from Chicago and lived & worked in Miami for a year, and you people take the cake. Anyone who doesn't see how lethal Houston and its environs already are, or will be in 5-10 years, is kidding themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
496 posts, read 699,665 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by golondrina62 View Post
Been to every city on the list except Oakland and Baltimore. For the supposed benefits of living in Houston, the growing crime issues are a real deterrent from us personally wanting to stay here. Too many random incidents of burglaries, holdups, shootings (for changing a tire on the side of the road, really?) and carjackings all over town - I'm from Chicago and lived & worked in Miami for a year, and you people take the cake. Anyone who doesn't see how lethal Houston and its environs already are, or will be in 5-10 years, is kidding themselves.
The issue is not the frequency of the crime, but the true randomness of where it occurs, as you mention above. That's what makes crime prevention in this town so frustrating, compared to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM
 
15,065 posts, read 19,701,220 times
Reputation: 12234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
FYI, that's "Most dangerous city" not "Most dangerous metropolitan area"
You can always tell because St. Louis is in the Top 3 because "The City of St. Louis" is about 50% ghetto.


Quote:
One reason St. Louis's crime rate is so high is that the city has not grown beyond its very constricted borders, according to criminologist Richard Rosenfeld of the University of Missouri, St. Louis. Other cities have expanded outward by swallowing up safer nearby communities, which helps dilute the overall crime stats. Oklahoma City's reporting area, for example, is nearly 10 times the size of St. Louis'.
If the safer St. Louis suburbs were counted into its crime statistics, the overall crime rate for St. Louis would be much lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,549 posts, read 2,268,294 times
Reputation: 1801
Quote:
Originally Posted by golondrina62 View Post
Been to every city on the list except Oakland and Baltimore. For the supposed benefits of living in Houston, the growing crime issues are a real deterrent from us personally wanting to stay here. Too many random incidents of burglaries, holdups, shootings (for changing a tire on the side of the road, really?) and carjackings all over town - I'm from Chicago and lived & worked in Miami for a year, and you people take the cake. Anyone who doesn't see how lethal Houston and its environs already are, or will be in 5-10 years, is kidding themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmj View Post
The issue is not the frequency of the crime, but the true randomness of where it occurs, as you mention above. That's what makes crime prevention in this town so frustrating, compared to other cities.
Bull****, it's not any more random then any other major city in America. Houston is not some lawless city where you have to watch over you're back 24/7. Houston is safer then alot of big cities or metropolitan areas in the United States. And I grew up down the street from crackhouses, hookers,drug dealers,gang bangers you name it I witnessed it. I've seen a man die at the age of 13. Houston in it's "random" areas are as safe as a mouse kitten. You're more likely to get killed by a idiot driver then you are in getting stuck up/held up or shot at.

If you're not in certain parts of South West(where it can become dangerous) Acre's Home,5th Ward, certain parts of Southside or apartment complexes and surrounding areas in Greenspoint then crime will not affect you on a dramatic scale.

I swear man how soft are you people? You're telling me that it's high crime activity in the burbs of Houston metropolitan area? In the inner loop areas like Heights/Rice Village/TMC/Downtown/Midtown/Uptown??

I'll take you to some real areas of crime and you'll be screaming to come back to the safe areas of Kirby or wherever you reside at? Just let me know I give good Houston hood tours. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,549 posts, read 2,268,294 times
Reputation: 1801
And it's funny most people I know from those cities moved to Houston to get away from the crime and will tell you straight up it's crime in Houston but not on the level of those cities mentioned. Nowhere near it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,421,313 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bull****, it's not any more random then any other major city in America. Houston is not some lawless city where you have to watch over you're back 24/7. Houston is safer then alot of big cities or metropolitan areas in the United States. And I grew up down the street from crackhouses, hookers,drug dealers,gang bangers you name it I witnessed it. I've seen a man die at the age of 13. Houston in it's "random" areas are as safe as a mouse kitten. You're more likely to get killed by a idiot driver then you are in getting stuck up/held up or shot at.

If you're not in certain parts of South West(where it can become dangerous) Acre's Home,5th Ward, certain parts of Southside or apartment complexes and surrounding areas in Greenspoint then crime will not affect you on a dramatic scale.

I swear man how soft are you people? You're telling me that it's high crime activity in the burbs of Houston metropolitan area? In the inner loop areas like Heights/Rice Village/TMC/Downtown/Midtown/Uptown??

I'll take you to some real areas of crime and you'll be screaming to come back to the safe areas of Kirby or wherever you reside at? Just let me know I give good Houston hood tours. LOL
I'll back you up on this. I swear if I hear another person say that "crime is so random" here. WTF. Of course crime is random! How is crime not random? Crime in Compton, CA is random. Crime on the south side of Chicago is Random. Crime in 8 mile in Detroit is random. Is crime suppose to happen on a schedule? I honestly am befuddled here. People keep saying down here, "oh crime can happen anytime". Bwahahahahaha. Yeah just like plane crashes and house fires. Come on people, get with it! If crime were not random, the police would be waiting there to stop it!!!!!! It's the general randomness of all crime that makes police have to "work for it". LOL. Next thing these guys are going to say is kidnappings are real random down here. What are you people afraid of? Your own shadow? On a much broader topic, most of life is pretty random. Some random things are good, like bumping into your future wife at a bookstore maybe. Or seeing an old friend at an airport. Other random things are bad, like heart attacks and cancer. Man, where are those big tough guys that I thought lived in TX? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Katy, Texas
496 posts, read 699,665 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bull****, it's not any more random then any other major city in America. Houston is not some lawless city where you have to watch over you're back 24/7. Houston is safer then alot of big cities or metropolitan areas in the United States. And I grew up down the street from crackhouses, hookers,drug dealers,gang bangers you name it I witnessed it. I've seen a man die at the age of 13. Houston in it's "random" areas are as safe as a mouse kitten. You're more likely to get killed by a idiot driver then you are in getting stuck up/held up or shot at.

If you're not in certain parts of South West(where it can become dangerous) Acre's Home,5th Ward, certain parts of Southside or apartment complexes and surrounding areas in Greenspoint then crime will not affect you on a dramatic scale.

I swear man how soft are you people? You're telling me that it's high crime activity in the burbs of Houston metropolitan area? In the inner loop areas like Heights/Rice Village/TMC/Downtown/Midtown/Uptown??

I'll take you to some real areas of crime and you'll be screaming to come back to the safe areas of Kirby or wherever you reside at? Just let me know I give good Houston hood tours. LOL


Crime is random here because unlike other cities we are far less segregated, less densely populated, more spread out, and almost exclusively dependent on the car for travel. This allows for crime patterns to appear more amorphous, thus the theory that crime more randomly occurs citywide here, than in other cities. Most cities have that one "bad part of town". Here, we have pockets scattered across the city. Five minutes from any hood in this town by car and you have a high probability of being in an affluent area.

The example to give is to take any of those cities you cited, plug their crime data into a mapping program and you'll see tighter concentrations of where crime occurs. Here, you will see the same concentrations, just not as tight, and with lots of "floater" crimes in those above mentioned affluent areas where in any other city, you would not expect to find crime.

The only true exception in Houston would be the area inside the southwest quadrant of the 610 loop. There, and along the Memorial drive corridor are the only places you see a true "low crime rate".

I might have spent five minutes in the hood too. We should trade notes sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM
 
Location: 77380
56 posts, read 95,724 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I'll back you up on this. I swear if I hear another person say that "crime is so random" here. WTF. Of course crime is random! How is crime not random? Crime in Compton, CA is random. Crime on the south side of Chicago is Random. Crime in 8 mile in Detroit is random. Is crime suppose to happen on a schedule? I honestly am befuddled here. People keep saying down here, "oh crime can happen anytime". Bwahahahahaha. Yeah just like plane crashes and house fires. Come on people, get with it! If crime were not random, the police would be waiting there to stop it!!!!!! It's the general randomness of all crime that makes police have to "work for it". LOL. Next thing these guys are going to say is kidnappings are real random down here. What are you people afraid of? Your own shadow? On a much broader topic, most of life is pretty random. Some random things are good, like bumping into your future wife at a bookstore maybe. Or seeing an old friend at an airport. Other random things are bad, like heart attacks and cancer. Man, where are those big tough guys that I thought lived in TX? LOL.
Blocks from where I live, a woman was shot in broad daylight and killed and her newborn abducted. You all know that story from last year I'm sure. Any number of cell phone stores, etc. are held up in the middle of the day in this neck of the woods. Where I worked, a carjacking happened one day and a shooting in the Wal-Mart parking lot the next. All in your supposed "safe" areas. As mentioned above everyone is dependent on cars since your public transit is so limited. That means the predators go to the biggest watering holes in nonthreatening areas and take advantage of the rich prey who are usually clueless. Seen it happen in Chicago, Florida and pretty much everywhere else I've lived. I guess the latest trend is following I-45 North to the Woodlands, or hitting up overpopulated sections of NW Harris Cty. since that's what I read in the paper every day. You can be all big & bad you want til someone kicks in your own door, or it happens to you. To me it seems there is very little active policing and what cops there are will shoot first & ask questions later. Only in FL are police more eager to do so.

I'm not afraid of anything, I grew up in inner city Chicago and worked in Little Havana in Miami. I've had guns pointed at me and had plenty of close calls in sketchy neighborhoods (how about the time a gas station clerk locked me in his empty store and threatened to hurt me if I didn't "give hiim some"?) so don't tell me how tough I am. What you have here in Houston is a blind adherence to some 20 year old idea about your town and how "safe" it is.

Last edited by golondrina62; 01-23-2013 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top