U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times

Advertisements

If you are talking about Portland OR, it is 79 miles to the nearest coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM

8,031 posts, read 7,642,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
I was going to say Seattle What about San Diego or one of the coastal towns between LA and San Diego?

I also really like Denver and Austin, although Denver's winters might be too cold and Austin has hot/humid summers. Smaller non-coastal cities: what about Chapel Hill or Asheville?

I have to mention Chicago, I know you don't want cold, but Lake Michigan is like an Inland Sea. Great Summers, lower cost of living than San Francisco or New York or the majority of the east coast.
Some of those could work. And if you're considering Austin but want closer to the coast you might as well look at Houston too, which (surprising to some) actually has a higher Walkscore and bike rating than Austin.
In Texas, it's more the specific neighborhoods than the specific cities that matter for this.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,123,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Portland is not coastal. San Diego has nice weather but is expensive and isn't as walkable as Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philly vs SF flame war has been started.. (goes and get popcorn)

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM

344 posts, read 868,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
I was going to say Seattle What about San Diego or one of the coastal towns between LA and San Diego?

I also really like Denver and Austin, although Denver's winters might be too cold and Austin has hot/humid summers. Smaller non-coastal cities: what about Chapel Hill or Asheville?

I have to mention Chicago, I know you don't want cold, but Lake Michigan is like an Inland Sea. Great Summers, lower cost of living than San Francisco or New York or the majority of the east coast.
Thanks for the response. I've heard San Diego has absolutely no downtown. like no areas to walk around, etc.

I've heard amazing stuff about chicago. There's only 1 factor stopping me from considering it: the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is Savannah GA or Charleston SC too small for you?
too small? probably not. too family oriented? maybe. I haven't been to either. I'd love to visit and check it out while keeping an open mind. But if I had to guess what I'd find, I'm guessing it's more family oriented, not as much of a singles or young professionals scene, etc. I live in Boston right now so I don't feel like an outcast if i want to be single rather than get married at 22, etc. Not trying to stereotype here, just talking about overall feel and culture of a city

Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Some of those could work. And if you're considering Austin but want closer to the coast you might as well look at Houston too, which (surprising to some) actually has a higher Walkscore and bike rating than Austin.
In Texas, it's more the specific neighborhoods than the specific cities that matter for this.
yea i've thought about Houston. I guess the heat and humidity scares me. I know Austin wouldn't be much better probably. Maybe I should just toughen up and go for it!

But Houston is a huge city, which is awesome, and i'm sure there's a ton to do there. I also like that it's near the ocean, and I like Texas as an overall state to live in.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,445,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
Thanks for the response. I've heard San Diego has absolutely no downtown. like no areas to walk around, etc.
That's not true, SD has a decent Downtown with walkable areas. About on par with a city like Denver but not as good as Seattle and possibly Portland.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM

720 posts, read 1,486,648 times
Savannah I wouldn't call a family-oriented type city exactly. My DD and her DH (30's) took a road trip last summer and stopped there. Loved the funky vibe of the place, can't wait to go back. They're foodies, liberal, like going out a lot with friends.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM

22,179 posts, read 23,711,901 times
Do you have to look in continental US? Downtown-ish Honolulu, San Juan, a good lot of other countries and places in the world out there.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Savannah I wouldn't call a family-oriented type city exactly. My DD and her DH (30's) took a road trip last summer and stopped there. Loved the funky vibe of the place, can't wait to go back. They're foodies, liberal, like going out a lot with friends.
oh. shows what i know!! Sounds very cool, I'll certainly make an effort to go check it out.

Did they happen to visit Charleston too? I'm curious how they compared the two if so

Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM

181 posts, read 273,397 times
Anywhere is in southern california you'll find great weather. Living near the beach is expensive of course. SoCal will also probably never have usable public transportation. The state is so big and there is so much to see why would you want to be stuck downtown? Get in your car and head to the Desert, Mountains, forests.

You wont miss it at first but you will eventually miss a real winter and fall. That's part of why I left cali after 25 years to go back to the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or