U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,958,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I've never met any Southerners with non-rhotic accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RzVKCWXrRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcmxqw2xEKo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 07:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,958,843 times
Whoever here, said "I've never met any southerners with non-rhotic accents" has never listened to President Jimmy Carter..... or evangelist Billy Graham..... or watched "In the Heat of the Night"..... or watched old news clips of the Civil Rights movement.

Maybe they're too young to remember any of these.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 AM

774 posts, read 1,696,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Non-rhotic accents have been dying off in the coastal south for at least two generations now. However, they are in no danger of going extinct in the Boston or NYC area. They've developed into a sociolect in both places (if you grow up in a wealthier area, you probably don't drop your r's) but anyone from the Boston or NYC metro can tell you that plenty of younger lower-middle and working-class white people still drop their r's.

As a former New Yorker, the best thing that can happen to that area is for that non-rhotic accent to disappear totally. I believe the accent is at the root of many negative stereotypes of Northeasterners in general. As a former Southerner, I will agree with another poster that I have never heard a person with a Southern accent dropping the letter r (except on tv, of course). In most Southern accents that I've heard, the letter r is very distinctively pronounced.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:27 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,844,575 times
I have not met many White New Yorkers of the millennial type that are non-rhotic. I feel like non-rhoticism has a stigma in New York these days. These days New Yorkers have more of a general Northern sound I feel. Black NYers and Hispanic NYers are non-rhotic, though.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I have not met many White New Yorkers of the millennial type that are non-rhotic. I feel like non-rhoticism has a stigma in New York these days. These days New Yorkers have more of a general Northern sound I feel. Black NYers and Hispanic NYers are non-rhotic, though.
I don't think Black New Yorkers are non-rhotic. AAVE is supposedly non-rhotic but that's true only in certain cases.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think Black New Yorkers are non-rhotic. AAVE is supposedly non-rhotic but that's true only in certain cases.
Really? Some I have met have that Black New York accent ala Jay-Z. Even to the degree of intrusive R's making their way in vowel transitions. But, I don't live there so my experience is limited. Nuyoricans still seem non-rhotic to this day. So even in non-White examples the rhoticism is increasing?

I know here in Chicago many Blacks are still non-rhotic of the Mississippi accent variety. Some Puerto Ricans in Chicago at times develop a Mississippi accent-like sound in neighborhoods where they live alongside Blacks. So they are non-rhotic in the Deep South Black form. This isn't heard in Mexicans, though. They adopt the speech patterns of Whites IF they get rid of their Mexican accent.

Here in Baltimore everyone is rhotic. Kinda like in Philly. Of course they've always been rhotic so it's kind of a moot point. Before I moved to Maryland people asked me if I was moving to "Baltimaw" and they said it jokingly in a non-rhotic attempt at sounding East Coast. I quickly corrected them and said that no one talks like that here because it's not New York, and that the town's name is "Baldamorr" or "Balmer" if you're old school and White. But Blacks and Whites of the millennial variety say the R and it's strong.

This goes along with the theory of the Mid-Atlantic dialect spreading West to become the Midland dialect and influencing most of American speech as a whole. This is why you hear Philly-like pronunciation as far West as Kansas and Oklahoma.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 05-26-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 07:00 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Quote:
How many white New Yorkers have you met who aren't transplants?

You don't really meet many young white native New Yorkers these days unless you're looking in South Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island. Or, if you're talking about the broader accent, Long Island, Westchester County, and nearby parts of New Jersey as well.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
How many white New Yorkers have you met who aren't transplants?

You don't really meet many young white native New Yorkers these days unless you're looking in South Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island. Or, if you're talking about the broader accent, Long Island, Westchester County, and nearby parts of New Jersey as well.
Fair enough. In that way White young native NYers are a rare breed, anyway.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:23 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Fair enough. In that way White young native NYers are a rare breed, anyway.
Maybe, but they're plenty in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.