U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:41 PM

56,497 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

I think exposure is the key with this subject, but depending the aspect in the OP's post we look at; there may be a socioeconomic factor.

Also, I don't think the OP is looking for an all Black club necessarily, but for areas were Black folks partake in such activities and can be themselves without feeling uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
As an AA myself, in my own experiences I would definately have to say Los Angeles. If you want flat out year around outdoor activities, whether in-city or excursions outside of the city there is no better place. In-city hiking at Runyon, Griffith Observatory, Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook, Kenneth Hahn Park are not only breathtaking but you will see quite a few of us. At the beach I always see us and to my surprise I even witnessed a few AA men surfing. No matter if I've gone to Big Bear, Catalina Island, the desert or the ocean I always see other AAs. I think if you have all of this at your disposal you will take advantage of it no matter what color you are.
I do not live in Los Angeles, but I want to second this--Los Angeles of course has a large African-American population, and it has lots of good opportunities to get outdoors. There are some folks who divide a winter's day between skiing and the beach.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM

29,868 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Really?
Yes. Many (though not all) of these activities are resource-intensive, requiring more time and money than other, simpler activities like hunting and fishing, something that you're more apt to see more Blacks do particularly in rural areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen anyone of African descent on the ski slopes. Nope. I know Eskimos, First People, and Hispanics who ski. I've seen orientals who sound like they might be Japanese tourists (guessing) who are very keen skiers.

Nor have I ever encountered anyone of African descent while out backpacking or even hiking. Darn, not even in any campgrounds.

Horse back riding, I know some really excellent horsemen who are of African descent and some darn good rodeo cowboys. They all hang out with and are good friends with all the other cowboys of all sorts of differing nationalities. They consider their sport to be what they have in common and don't notice race.

So, I guess that if you want an all Black ski club, you would be wasting your time coming around here.

And do allow me to point out that if a European announced that they only wanted to ski with people who looked just like them they would be lynched for being a racist.
Where did the OP say she wanted all Black groups to do these things with? Seems like you could only come to that conclusion if you were looking for something to be contentious about. Obviously she's looking for a place where she can partake in such activities and not be the only Black person out the bunch.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM

5,367 posts, read 12,972,569 times
Default Los Angeles

Hiking above Griffith Park

Last edited by pwright1; 01-27-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 PM

24 posts, read 33,244 times
wow! thanks everyone for your responses, I have a lot of things to think about. i saw some of the posts and i wanted to address some of the feedback and provide some clarity. i am not looking for a black utopia, some all black everything all the time, never see another race ever. just black folks kayaking down rivers and hiking up mountains. that is NOT what i am saying. but i would to be able to participate in outdoor activities and not be the only black person. it can sometimes feel uncomfortable, that is all. for everyone who posted photos, i love it!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 PM

18,626 posts, read 27,037,620 times
You know. Pretty much any city within close proximity of the fall line is good. Very close to nature and lots of places to hike. So DC, Charlotte, and Atlanta are good if you don't mind large cities. If not, how about Asheville, NC?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually it does, because there tends to be a correlation with socioeconomic status when it comes to this particular subject and educational attainment is a significant predictor for socioeconomic status.
i do agree, and i am living proof of that. we as blacks typically don't live in areas that favor outdoor stuff, statistically speaking, we live in traditional urban areas, "concrete jungles" of sorts. also it has to do with expendable income and education, as Mutiny77 touched on. someone making minimum wage (like i did at one point) doesn't have the luxury to say, oh! i think i'll head out to the slopes this weekend!i'm not naive enough to think i am the "norm". i am the exception, and that's fine (my fam tells me that all the time so.....) it was only after my income increased, that i was able to do the things i wanted.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why do I love this post? LOL

I hate to generalize but honestly, it seems that most of the outdoors activities of Blacks are limited to some fishing and hunting in rural areas, particularly in the South. I myself need to broaden my parameters on outdoors activity, but it seems that your best bet might be cities that have a large population of educated Blacks, so you'll get the usual suspects (Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston, Chicago, etc.). However, I wonder if a city like Denver, known for outdoor activities and has a decent-sized Black population, might be an option?
your feedback is so appreciated, i note denver has a lot of love in these forums

Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It sounds like everyone is suggesting their area. Well, let me tell you where NOT to go: southwest Ohio for one. The wife & I went to the local ski resort here once (Mad River Mountain) whose clientele was 100% white and we had the n-word thrown around in our direction.
I'd stick to the liberal/libertarian states where you won't have to worry about driving down the wrong road and meeting Jethro's huntin' rifle...namely the West Coast, Colorado, New Mexico, and the Northeast.
hmmm. very helpful info. i have encountered that as well, that's what made me go hmmmm. thanks for sharing

Old 01-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt if there is a "best place" -- I'd be surprised if any one place would be better than any other in that respect.
thanks. for stating the obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or