U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM

24 posts, read 33,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The old saying "cast down your buckets where you are" might apply here, No matter where I am when I travel I find a trail to walk on. Sure sometimes people take a second at me in some places but I probably would too.
Sometimes people will offer you a ride if they are not use to seeing black people out walking, even if you are comfortably dressed and wearing running shoes, but then I lived in and area that was less than 1% black for about 100 square miles
thanks for the reply, but it didn't really answer my question. i don't have a problem finding trails or outdoor activities. i can tell you didn't read anything I or other posters wrote, which is fine. there's are so many activities, i don't have enough time in the week to do them all. i've traveled across town, across the state, across the country, and twice to Canada, just to experience all that nature has to offer.

i secondly, i am talking about more than just a second look. heck, i get second and third looks at a shopping mall, that's not a big deal. once again i thank you for you reply, just not the response i was looking for.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,899,724 times
One would think the National Parks would be for everyone in America. Maybe check in at the ranger stations to make sure they know you are there and maybe for your own safety let them know you will be checking back with them when you leave. I think they would understand what you are doing and maybe take your safety a step further. I have run into people speaking many different languages when touring national parks.

May I say that when your being black stops being so important to you it might stop being so important to others too. Any public place is for any of the public that wants to go there. Private property might be another thing, but public property is just that--public. There are no signs saying "white only" and in my opinion no public property should ever have had those signs. It is your privilege; use it. If other people are uncomfortable with that, let it be their problem. I look forward to the day we won't even be talking about differences in skin color.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Perhaps look into areas with good state or county Parks too. NY is known for having a lot of nice state Parks: New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation

and some county park systems that may offer enough for you to enjoy: parks-list Onondaga County Parks

Parks | Monroe County, NY

I'm sure that there are plenty of places that would work in that regard, but it may be a matter of finding a community that you feel comfortable with.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:05 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,381,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3235 View Post
i am ready to take a chance on the unknown and do things i love doing, more often. read on if your prefer the lengthy background to give me a better specialized response.

please keep responses "light" , people have the tendency to get so uptight in these forums. don't be so serious. this is all in good fun. i'm not going to pack my bags and move just because a stranger tells me to. with that being said, if you do have relevant info to provide , it would be greatly appreciated because i am serious about moving hahaha.

black female, 25, no kids, single, straight. i have a car(i just add that because walkability is not important).

outdoor activities year round is very important to me. but being surrounded by people that look like me is also important, and what i am missing. i have gone kayaking, hiking, and rock climbing, but it's always been by myself (since i'm usually alone they will "place" me with a group, always all white, always creeped out by my presence.) you can't give all the self confidence talks you want, but being the only black on a ski slope is intimidating regardless of how confident i am. it always feels like to be an outdoors person i have to leave behind who i am. i want to go somewhere where it's not strange to listen to trey songz and miguel while fishing. lol

sry to disappoint but i don't care about bars and clubs, i'd rather build a sand castle at night and put neon lights in it lol, trust me it looks cool hahaha

warm or cold weather, there is always something fun to do outdoors.

what made me write this was i saw an ad online recently about a black outdoors group that does the things i like..... and they were 2,000 miles away from me. it made me wonder if there was a better place for me.

in case you are wondering, true story....i tried started my own group back in October. hiking group, 3 times no one showed, and i even asked coworkers and none of them showed. i set up a "scandal party" to watch scandal (my favorite show) and there was so many people in my apt that some people had to stand in the kitchen. ....

and no, i will not tell you where i live now or where i have lived, i don't want to sway your responses.
When I lived in Durango, Colorado, nobody seemed to make any notice of race when outdoor events were scheduled, etc. Of course, you aren't going to get much beach time in Colorado, but if you like hiking, biking, and such, Colorado is definitely a possibility. Look for a University town where more liberal mindsets do not divide people racially.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-02-2013, 03:43 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One would think the National Parks would be for everyone in America. Maybe check in at the ranger stations to make sure they know you are there and maybe for your own safety let them know you will be checking back with them when you leave. I think they would understand what you are doing and maybe take your safety a step further. I have run into people speaking many different languages when touring national parks.

May I say that when your being black stops being so important to you it might stop being so important to others too. Any public place is for any of the public that wants to go there. Private property might be another thing, but public property is just that--public. There are no signs saying "white only" and in my opinion no public property should ever have had those signs. It is your privilege; use it. If other people are uncomfortable with that, let it be their problem. I look forward to the day we won't even be talking about differences in skin color.
It doesn't quite work that way.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,541 times
Why does skin colour have anything to do with this? Any place with tonnes of outdoors stuff to do should be just fine regardless of race. I won't deny that there is racism out there, but generally if you don't bother others, they won't bother you.
If you are looking for a black community in your rural paradise however, I can understand that, but people are people wherever you go, black, white, or whatever. Sure you may get some stares if you are of an ethnicity they deem "uncommon" to them, but that doesn't mean they are really racist.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Why does skin colour have anything to do with this? Any place with tonnes of outdoors stuff to do should be just fine regardless of race. I won't deny that there is racism out there, but generally if you don't bother others, they won't bother you.
If you are looking for a black community in your rural paradise however, I can understand that, but people are people wherever you go, black, white, or whatever. Sure you may get some stares if you are of an ethnicity they deem "uncommon" to them, but that doesn't mean they are really racist.
Nobody said anything about others being racist.

You just wouldn't understand if you're never used to being the sole minority in certain settings. It's all about a desired level of comfort, and that's completely understandable.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nobody said anything about others being racist.

You just wouldn't understand if you're never used to being the sole minority in certain settings. It's all about a desired level of comfort, and that's completely understandable.
I currently live in a town where I'm outnumbered by Asians and Mexicans and I'm white. But you don't see me complaining.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 AM

5,706 posts, read 8,771,469 times
I don't think the OP would feel uncomfortable if 15% of the hikers or skiers she encountered were black. It's not about being in the minority, but being in the minority of 1.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I currently live in a town where I'm outnumbered by Asians and Mexicans and I'm white. But you don't see me complaining.
But you're not the ONLY White person in your town. That's the difference.

Geesh, is it really THAT hard for folks to understand???????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I don't think the OP would feel uncomfortable if 15% of the hikers or skiers she encountered were black. It's not about being in the minority, but being in the minority of 1.
THANK YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or