U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:05 PM

24 posts, read 33,265 times

Advertisements

i am ready to take a chance on the unknown and do things i love doing, more often. read on if your prefer the lengthy background to give me a better specialized response.

please keep responses "light" , people have the tendency to get so uptight in these forums. don't be so serious. this is all in good fun. i'm not going to pack my bags and move just because a stranger tells me to. with that being said, if you do have relevant info to provide , it would be greatly appreciated because i am serious about moving hahaha.

black female, 25, no kids, single, straight. i have a car(i just add that because walkability is not important).

outdoor activities year round is very important to me. but being surrounded by people that look like me is also important, and what i am missing. i have gone kayaking, hiking, and rock climbing, but it's always been by myself (since i'm usually alone they will "place" me with a group, always all white, always creeped out by my presence.) you can't give all the self confidence talks you want, but being the only black on a ski slope is intimidating regardless of how confident i am. it always feels like to be an outdoors person i have to leave behind who i am. i want to go somewhere where it's not strange to listen to trey songz and miguel while fishing. lol

sry to disappoint but i don't care about bars and clubs, i'd rather build a sand castle at night and put neon lights in it lol, trust me it looks cool hahaha

warm or cold weather, there is always something fun to do outdoors.

what made me write this was i saw an ad online recently about a black outdoors group that does the things i like..... and they were 2,000 miles away from me. it made me wonder if there was a better place for me.

in case you are wondering, true story....i tried started my own group back in October. hiking group, 3 times no one showed, and i even asked coworkers and none of them showed. i set up a "scandal party" to watch scandal (my favorite show) and there was so many people in my apt that some people had to stand in the kitchen. ....

and no, i will not tell you where i live now or where i have lived, i don't want to sway your responses.

Last edited by j3235; 01-26-2013 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 PM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Why do I love this post? LOL

I hate to generalize but honestly, it seems that most of the outdoors activities of Blacks are limited to some fishing and hunting in rural areas, particularly in the South. I myself need to broaden my parameters on outdoors activity, but it seems that your best bet might be cities that have a large population of educated Blacks, so you'll get the usual suspects (Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston, Chicago, etc.). However, I wonder if a city like Denver, known for outdoor activities and has a decent-sized Black population, might be an option?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM

56,526 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Maybe look into information here: Black Ski Clubs - Black Ski Summit - Black Ski/Snowboard Trips

About

Welcome to the Inner City Ski Club!

Home Page

All Seasons Ski Club

SnowBusters Ski Club Index as Black Travel, Snowboarding, Parties, Wine Tasting

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/ny...opes.html?_r=0

and many more......

Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
I also enjoyed the OP's post.

When speaking of the educated cities, a lot of what you have there is groups who travel out of the area for their recreation. Cities like Chicago and Houston, with their flat terrain and extreme weather, aren't exactly popular places for the outdoorsy types, unless you're talking about urban cyclists or your casual fishermen.

Atlanta and New York will put you in closer proximity to more outdoor options. I'd also check out North Carolina.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM

29,888 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I also enjoyed the OP's post.

When speaking of the educated cities, a lot of what you have there is groups who travel out of the area for their recreation. Cities like Chicago and Houston, with their flat terrain and extreme weather, aren't exactly popular places for the outdoorsy types, unless you're talking about urban cyclists or your casual fishermen.

Atlanta and New York will put you in closer proximity to more outdoor options. I'd also check out North Carolina.
Yeah, I think the Triangle in particular would be a good choice. Charlotte might be worth checking out too.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM

56,526 posts, read 80,824,285 times
A sleeper may be Boston. You have a Black ski club with mountains not too far away and Cape Cod is close by. Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard is a spot many Black upper middle class folks go to as well. Welcome | Boston Ski Party

Oak Bluffs, Mass., Is Where the Black Elite Is at Home in the Summer

Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3235 View Post
please keep responses "light":
Not easy to do when you specified "black" places.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM

204 posts, read 723,090 times
Wow! That is one of the toughest questions that I've seen on here. My first thoughts was the standard outdoor city triumvirate: Denver, Portland, and Seattle. You'd be in a sea of color, if you count bone, eggshell, ecru, and light peach . (I do realize there are black populations in all of those, but they are in the single digit percentages).

What about Oakland? (I'm serious) Within a sort drive of plenty of hiking and boating, or no some Urban hiking? Also NYC area could work, some of the border towns near Westchester like Mt. Vernon. West Orange, NJ?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,281 times
I thought of Oakland right away, there's a large black community and the terrific Bay Area outdoor culture.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,178,928 times
I think that you might love Arkansas - yes, really! Little Rock is a nice small city, with a strong Black presence, and there are so many outdoorsy things to do in most areas of the state - the Ozarks especially! Hiking, rafting, fishing, camping, hunting, etc. etc. Even Eastern Oklahoma might work for you, too (look up Tulsa and Muskogee on CD) - or go the other direction east to Memphis, TN.

Just looked up population figures: Memphis is 63% Black, Little Rock is 42% Black, and Tulsa is 15% Black.

Disclaimer - I lived in AR and hated it, but not because of "racial" issues or environment - the Southern Baptists there were just too much for me. Beautiful state, though - I enjoyed camping and hiking in the state parks. You've really got to canoe down the Buffalo National River, so fun! Buffalo National River - Buffalo National River

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 01-26-2013 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or