U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,689 posts, read 10,836,637 times

Advertisements

Not weather-wise! But, places, cities or regions that feel, to you, soul-less, devoid of humanity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times
Easy question for me.

Caribou, ME. It is the coldest place weather-wise AND the coldest place socially I have ever lived. With that being said though, there are some wonderful people I know and count as true friends who live there, most born and raised there. I think what matters mostly though is how you deal with people and what you take home at the end of the day. I could easily have focused on the majority of people who were cold and insular and made my life miserable and despised the area. Instead I found a big handful of people who were warm, friendly, and fun to be around. It made a place that was cold and insular, home for a long time (almost 20 years) and gave me very good memories of the area instead of making me hate even the sound of its name.

A very, very close second (almost dead even tie actually) would be Seagoville, TX. I learned how to deal with cold, insular people from Seagoville when I was a kid. The difference though is that the lessons sunk in after I moved away, and I spent the longest, most hated 2 years of my life there. While there were some very nice people there, I wasn't mature enough to know to focus on them and not the ones who hated me just because my parents had moved us down from the North so they derogatorily called me the "God-Damn Yankee" the entire time I spent there. Ironically it is the hottest place weather-wise I have ever lived.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,930 times
South Florida.
ITs like the whole population were bath salt mall zombies.
I still get PTSD even thinking about it to this day

Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Certain cities in upstate NY.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,514,510 times
I would probably say the outskirts of Houston. Even though the area I lived in was built in the 60s and 70s, it seemed awfully run down and many of the houses looked unkempt. Most of the neighbourhoods in California that are the same age are nowhere near as run down. It's probably because of the damp climate and the fact that houses are constructed cheaply in Houston. There's also the combination of the cloudiness, thunderstorms, and lots of trees that can give certain parts of Houston a very eerie feel. Though for a city that is doing so well economically, why is everything so terribly derelict? Of course I lived there a decade ago so I can't really say what it's like now.

And the ironic thing is Houston is not a cold city climate wise (though the winters are colder than one may expect).

Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Houston has greatly improved over the past decade, just so you know.

I'd have to say that I've never lived in an unfriendly place. I've lived in nearly every southern state, as well as California and Ohio and Maryland. I've traveled throughout the US and met friendly people everywhere.

In all my years of frequent moves, I'd say that it's harder to settle in and get your groove on in a small town, or a very large city. In small towns, newbies are not the norm and people living there have probably gone to school together since they were in kindergarten. In big cities, people are so transient that you have the opposite problem. My favorite size town to live in would be one that's between 100,000 and 300,000 people. You get diversity without anonymity.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
I would say that those places for me are outside of the USA.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,928 times
Rural areas of Utah, Richfield for example. I have nothing against Mormon people, but it is like they can sense that you're not "one of them".

Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,541,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Not weather-wise! But, places, cities or regions that feel, to you, soul-less, devoid of humanity?
To broadly describe any particular place (and thus the community therein) as "soul-less" or "devoid of humanity" is a sort of pretentiousness that I whole-heartedly despise, regardless of one's personal experiences.

Many (if not most) answers to such a question will probably be, by and large, rooted firmly in ideological and/or political subjectivism, which, if you ask me, is really quite illustrative of this country's increasingly profound social and political divisions.

Nonetheless, it's unfortunate that the social diversity we can see from reigion to region (if not state to state) in this country has to be minimized and degraged by such dehumanizing descriptions offered by the OP.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:53 PM

171 posts, read 136,615 times
Probably any town with a majority of Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or