U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 05:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,945 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing this forum for some time now looking for a new home. My greatest passion is off-roading. Dirt bike, ATV, Jeep, you name it, and motorcycle rides in addition.

Currently I'm living in Wisconsin and we do have a large number of ATV trails, most are further north requiring a 3+ hour drive for me. Unfortunately there isn't much for larger vehicles.

Here's what my perfect state/town would look like:

-ATV friendly (plenty of trails, ability to drive back roads, ability to drive to the gas pump)
-Close to a large city (100,000+) Don't want to drive 100 miles for shopping, or work.
-Access to raw materials (steel) is a must. I'm in the process of starting a manufacturing company.
-Comfortable climate (Tolerable humidity, 40 degree or warmer winters, nice and green)
-Scenery (Coming from Wisconsin I need trees and maybe some mountains)
-Economy (Need to be able to find work, AND affordable housing)
-Lakes (This would be a huge bonus, nothing like taking an ATV trip to the beach in summer)

I have looked at northern Arizona and based on Google maps it appears I would need to live in the mountains to find any vegetation, possibly the same for Colorado? Not sure Utah would be a good fit, I'm personally not religious. Can't find much on the East, possibly because most public land is closed to OHVs? (Off Highway Vehicles). Even looked into the Vancouver, BC area, seems ideal however cost of living is one of the highest in the world.

Any suggestions? I hope to take a few trips early this spring to evaluate my options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Check with the so-called Bureau of Land Management. A great deal of their public land has been designated for off road vehicle recreational use. But some BLM lands in some states are starting to restrict ORV usage, to reduce environmental degradation, notably in the northern plains states. BLM lands are almost all in western states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.