U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 4,744 times

Advertisements

Yo, I am 24 years old and having been born and raised in New Orleans, it is time for me to go. I love New Orleans traditions, but I want to start a business and I personally want to be apart of a city or state that is more globally relevant, as superficial as that may sound. It is just that, the state government has screwed our city up so much(education, medical care) that most people just have this feeling of 'I give up'. Not that people from New Orleans are highly motivated, I mean it is called the Big Easy for a reason. I am tired of the careless attitude, the racism, the ignorant and the poverty that is forever increasing. No one seems to want to get ahead, only to just 'get by' and drink. Anyone who really wants to do something eventually moves away. For someone like me who really wants to make a difference, it is incredible frustrating.

So I am moving. Main goals are to go to Grad School and eventually start my own tech online business. Job wise, I work in retail and I can very much transfer anywhere in the country(Or Canada).

I am used to being on my own and responsibility isn't a concern.

Now, it is a goal and dream to get the hell out of the South. I have lived in Houston, Atlanta, Baton Rouge and now I am just tired of it. The racist, conservative, culturally unware situation in a lot of areas is too much. I have literally felt like a blacksheep my entire. No complaints though, Im not whining, just saying.

Now New York city was always that dream place to move to, but the older I get the more I realize that it may not be the greatest place on earth'.

Now in anyone's opinion, which of these cities would you recommend for me: Young non-religious single male looking to start a business, meet new friends, be a part of progressive culturally aware city, have a good night life and eventually find love and start a family(maybe)

New York City
Chicago
Seattle
Ann Arbor
Vancouver(I understand its in Canada)

I understand in any big city one must deal with different levels of loneliness, crime, snobbiest, etc.
Like Ive heard of the Seattle freeze and the NYC snobbiest and the boring Vancouver.
But I am an extroverted person, who is passionate, loves to laugh and is always trying to come up with ideas to progress mankind. (I am always thinking critically...like seriously always)

Any advice is highly appreciated and, no it doesn't have to be the 5 cities I have listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
If you don't mind a smaller community, maybe Ithaca NY or Burlington VT could work. As for a bigger or other cities, look into Minneapolis, Denver, Columbus OH and Madison WI.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,525,158 times
Apply to the best graduate schools you can, and then pick from the list of those who accept you and offer you the most support.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsstar7777 View Post
Now in anyone's opinion, which of these cities would you recommend for me: Young non-religious single male looking to start a business, meet new friends, be a part of progressive culturally aware city, have a good night life and eventually find love and start a family(maybe)

New York City
Chicago
Seattle
Ann Arbor
Vancouver(I understand its in Canada)
Of your list I would suggest Ann Arbor. Large college towns have been leading the economic recovery and seem to be the least prone to recession, and as such are great for tech start-ups in my opinion. For much the same reason and offering many of the same qualities (with a significantly larger population) you might consider Columbus, OH as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.