U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,630,288 times

Advertisements

[quote=canudigit;28073059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Guess you missed THIS post, by that same user, almost exactly one year later:

Did Your Perceptions Of Atlanta Change When You Left?

Sounds like a guy who doesn't know what he wants.

Part of what prompted this inquiry is the "regrets" threads that I see here on C-D and other relocation forums, and part of it is personal experience. We were in the Myrtle Beach area last year and I met a lady who worked at one of the touristy venues there who had relocated from upstate NY a few years earlier. I mentioned that she must enjoy not having snow to deal with and, like, instantly, her eyes welled up with tears and she told me that her goal was to be back in NY within the year, and that she would absolutely KILL to see snow again. She said they had moved south to get away from snowy winters, and yet, there she was, literally crying over how much she missed snow! I also met a lady from New Jersey who worked in a boutique in Georgetown, SC, who was telling us that the slow pace of life in SC was so annoying to her and that she was looking to move back home in the not too distant future.

It makes me wonder how much it really is the weather for most people or how much of it is not being contented and thinking that the grass is greener and then finding that it isn't, and that the very things that you think you are running away from are the things that are inherently a part of who you are and sort of, for lack of a better way of putting it, make you "complete", KWIM?
I think a lot of these people who make moving decisions based on weather aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch. At least from my experience. They list reasons for moving away/wanting to come back that contradict eachother. Many of these people have underlying issues and try to mask them by blaming the area they live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,940,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Part of what prompted this inquiry is the "regrets" threads that I see here on C-D and other relocation forums, and part of it is personal experience. We were in the Myrtle Beach area last year and I met a lady who worked at one of the touristy venues there who had relocated from upstate NY a few years earlier. I mentioned that she must enjoy not having snow to deal with and, like, instantly, her eyes welled up with tears and she told me that her goal was to be back in NY within the year, and that she would absolutely KILL to see snow again. She said they had moved south to get away from snowy winters, and yet, there she was, literally crying over how much she missed snow! I also met a lady from New Jersey who worked in a boutique in Georgetown, SC, who was telling us that the slow pace of life in SC was so annoying to her and that she was looking to move back home in the not too distant future.

It makes me wonder how much it really is the weather for most people or how much of it is not being contented and thinking that the grass is greener and then finding that it isn't, and that the very things that you think you are running away from are the things that are inherently a part of who you are and sort of, for lack of a better way of putting it, make you "complete", KWIM?
The only problem is, the people that move south and are content in their choices are going to be much less vocal and thus you don't get a good representative idea of the true numbers.
Some people are going to complain where ever they move. You see it all the time on here, just like the Brooklyn to Atlanta back to BK and back to ATL mover, they move down, complain about missing things, move back, complain about realizing why they left in the first place, move back again and repeat over and over.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I think a lot of these people who make moving decisions based on weather aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch. At least from my experience. They list reasons for moving away/wanting to come back that contradict eachother. Many of these people have underlying issues and try to mask them by blaming the area they live in.
Hey, watch it, weather was my only consideration.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,353,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The only problem is, the people that move south and are content in their choices are going to be much less vocal and thus you don't get a good representative idea of the true numbers.
Good point.

Quote:
Sounds like a guy who doesn't know what he wants.

Oh, I agree. I just thought it was funny that the example you chose (out of so so many, I see them too) happened to be a dude who DID move back up north, and then reneged on THAT. AGAIN. I checked his/her post history to see where they ended up, and the "returning to ATL" post was the first I saw lol.

Perhaps people are discontented with a poor economy/unemployment/increasing COL/personal issues, and the lousy weather exacerbates the way they feel? Or perhaps the weather just makes a good scapegoat. Dunno.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,484 posts, read 14,316,428 times
[quote=garmin239;28073840]
Quote:

Glad you said "a lot" instead of "all".
Can't speak for others but for me weather is tied very much to lifestyle, so yeah, I made a move based in large part on weather. (read gardening, swimming, being able to take a walk comfortably 9 months of the year, being able to rake leaves in the autumn and build an occasional snowman in late winter, well, you get the idea. )

Uhhh, what's with the weird quoting, some kinda glitch?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
When one person starts by quoting someone and accidentally types within the quote, then the next person quotes them it just continues on unless you look up top at your own post and eliminate the other person quote tag it will show up each time. Had I not taken garmin239 out from your quote it would have shown like below.

[quote=DubbleT;28079983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Glad you said "a lot" instead of "all".
Can't speak for others but for me weather is tied very much to lifestyle, so yeah, I made a move based in large part on weather. (read gardening, swimming, being able to take a walk comfortably 9 months of the year, being able to rake leaves in the autumn and build an occasional snowman in late winter, well, you get the idea. )

Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
Yes. It's horrible down here. Please don't come.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,655,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SIGH ...

Reading comprehension is defined as the level of understanding of a text/message. This understanding comes from the interaction between the words that are written and how they trigger knowledge outside the text/message. Proficient reading depends on the ability to recognize words quickly and effortlessly. If word recognition is difficult, students use too much of their processing capacity to read individual words, which interferes with their ability to comprehend what is read.
What part of my post do you need help understanding? I can help you if you message me....

Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. It's horrible down here. Please don't come.
Noted.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Pretty spot on OP.

I know a ton of people where im from (Upstate NY) that move down South for the weather. I love the weather, its my favorite type, but there are too many other things I dont like. Weather isnt enough reason.

I find people that move just for the climate to be extremely shortsighted. There are more factors into the place you want to go than just weather. Culture, politics, people, food, jobs, etc.

A lot of them inevitably move back up North. Its trendy and just really ****ing annoying to see.

Myrtle Beach, Raleigh, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, the list goes on and on and on.

If im going to a warm climate, only place id really pick is California.

Well, that makes me feel better about my husband and me wanting to move from California to North Carolina. We must be wanting to do it for the right reasons!

Seriously, the only reason we might want to stay here in California is the weather! Otherwise, North Carolina is where we want to be! The culture, the politics, the religiousness, the location in relation to things to do and see..., it is a great place to be! (We have visited.)

We lived in Arlington, VA for awhile and loved the area, but didn't like the weather. Came back to SoCal for the weather. But we just don't fit in with most of the people here. Don't get me wrong, there are some wonderful people here (like our church family), but a lot of what goes on -- especially in the politics -- just doesn't work for us!

So, we want to retire to NC for the reasons you sighted above. Just don't know about the weather and the bugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or