U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2014, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Tempe, AZ
4,552 posts, read 3,658,600 times
Reputation: 3625

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I can understand the frustration, and I have seen it from more than just New Yorkers. I can understand people talking about where they came from, but at least give your new place a chance! One of my favorite things about this country is that compared to most, we have a great diversity of landscapes, cultures, cities, etc.
When I tell people that story, sadly I get, "Well, a lot of New Yorkers are that way. It's only typical." That's upsetting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,445 posts, read 6,426,818 times
Reputation: 4340
I actually have found a website tho with a ton of disdain for NYers

#26 Manhattan (now Brooklyn too!) | Stuff White People Like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 11:12 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Reputation: 30911
I have met probably a couple dozen New Yorkers here in Albuquerque (a city much like Tuscon in size, culture, and scope) over the last couple of decades. I can only remember one who dismissively said something like, "Albuquerque is not a 'real' city."

That doesn't mean I have not met New Yorkers who were really chauvinistic about NY superiority, but they are all back in New York and wouldn't dream of leaving.

All in all, most New Yorkers are no different than anyone else in Western culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Earth
1,306 posts, read 1,258,153 times
Reputation: 1429
It's a multi way street. I'm a native to Massachusetts and I can tell you that it wasn't that unusual to hear comments about Southerners, West Coasters, and, of course, New Yorkers. I live in NYC now I often hear comments about the South, and about how Boston is just too small and a racist backwater. Of course when I've been in the south, I've heard, "Oh you Northerners think.....blah blah blah." I've heard it everywhere.

I don't deny the arrogance that exists here in NYC. Some think that NYC is the center of the world and that no one else could ever have a decent life outside of the five boroughs. On the same note, I was in Mississippi a few years ago and started chatting with a couple from Alabama. After finding out I was from Boston, I had to listen to how much they both hated my hometown. A couple weeks ago, some southern woman on the subway said, "You guys can have New York" very loudly because the train jerked a bit. Hell, as a native Bostonian, I almost felt compelled to defend New York! Almost

A lot of this nonsense comes purely from ignorance. Some people think that their way of life is the only good way and no one else could possibly enjoy life while living in a different environment. I just choose to ignore them now...especially New Yorkers. They're the worst
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,445 posts, read 6,426,818 times
Reputation: 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
It's a multi way street. I'm a native to Massachusetts and I can tell you that it wasn't that unusual to hear comments about Southerners, West Coasters, and, of course, New Yorkers. I live in NYC now I often hear comments about the South, and about how Boston is just too small and a racist backwater. Of course when I've been in the south, I've heard, "Oh you Northerners think.....blah blah blah." I've heard it everywhere.
Thing is I always thought that NYC vs Boston was more of a "rivalry" hatred. Like we hate each other during games and mostly to keep up our appearance, but when tragedy strikes we put each hands on each other's shoulders and cry together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,306 posts, read 1,258,153 times
Reputation: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Thing is I always thought that NYC vs Boston was more of a "rivalry" hatred. Like we hate each other during games and mostly to keep up our appearance, but when tragedy strikes we put each hands on each other's shoulders and cry together
It is for the most part. And as much as Bostonians and New Yorkers like to make fun of the south and midwest, there's always an outpouring of support whenever there's a tornado or hurricane in those regions. Certainly those of us in the Northeast supported each other during the OKC bombing. For the most part, most of the US is bunch of squabbling brothers and sisters who grumble about each other, but we support each other when things go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 06:35 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,698,650 times
Reputation: 681
I recently met a man in a small town who told me he was originally from NY, but tends to hesitate to tell people that at first because of negative reactions from people he said he experienced. He told me that where he lives, "people's guard tend to go up" if you say you are from NY. He lives in a very small town in the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,698,650 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
It is for the most part. And as much as Bostonians and New Yorkers like to make fun of the south and midwest, there's always an outpouring of support whenever there's a tornado or hurricane in those regions. Certainly those of us in the Northeast supported each other during the OKC bombing. For the most part, most of the US is bunch of squabbling brothers and sisters who grumble about each other, but we support each other when things go wrong.
I have heard a lot of people from Massachusetts say they hated New Yorkers, but I have worked in several places where ex-New Yorkers and Massachusetts transplants worked together and they always seemed to get along great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Reputation: 30911
The further you are from the Northeast, the more 'rivals', like New Yorkers and New Englanders, tend to bond over their shared 'Northeasternness'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,698,650 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The further you are from the Northeast, the more 'rivals', like New Yorkers and New Englanders, tend to bond over their shared 'Northeasternness'.
I remember telling a coworker when I lived in a Southern state that people up North do not share a common kinship as Northerners like people in the South do as Southerners. In fact, I think some of the strongest hostility toward New Yorkers comes from New England, Upstate New York, and New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top