U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM

68,609 posts, read 57,269,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Pittsburgh, like Columbus, has a reputation that masks the reality. Columbus is more eclectic than you would expect for mid Ohio.
Pittsburgh wasn't good enough for Richard Florida, but most sane people love it.
Who?? Explain to this old lady who he is, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:38 PM

19 posts, read 43,389 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh, like Columbus, has a reputation that masks the reality. Columbus is more eclectic than you would expect for mid Ohio.
Pittsburgh wasn't good enough for Richard Florida, but most sane people love it.
Could you please explain what you mean by Pittsburgh having a reputation that masks its reality?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:44 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,739,716 times
Yeah, Are you saying that Pittsburgh suffers from its reputation and that it is actually a cool city, or that R. Florida didn't deem it worthy of being a creative class city and it is therefore not cool?
FYI - Richard Florida devised the theory of the creative class (Gays, artists, et. cetera) and how it creates better, more diverse and progressive cities.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM

19 posts, read 43,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Yeah, Are you saying that Pittsburgh suffers from its reputation and that it is actually a cool city, or that R. Florida didn't deem it worthy of being a creative class city and it is therefore not cool?
FYI - Richard Florida devised the theory of the creative class (Gays, artists, et. cetera) and how it creates better, more diverse and progressive cities.
Yeah, he was on the Colbert Report!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,605,328 times
Richard Florida never stopped whining the whole time he was at Carnegie Mellon. I don't think Pittsburgh misses him. Where to did he follow the "creative class," exactly? Auckland? Shanghai? Probably Cambridge (the one in Massachusetts or the one in England, same diff). New Zealand wouldn't surprise me, as it's where all the real anti-American types hang out.

The reality is that Pittsburgh is probably too cool for Richard Florida. Pittsburgh doesn't sit around and worry about how many gays and artists it has versus Copenhagen or Sydney. It probably does compare itself versus Cleveland, though.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Thanks for explaining that.

It seems like M TYPE X likes Pittsburgh. It is fine for four years of college. Its economy could be better, which is something to consider after graduation.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,739,716 times
...and Buffalo? Pittsburgh is one of my favorites.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It probably does compare itself versus Cleveland, though.
Yes, it does. And vice versa. For a while, both cities had threads going about that. Pitts. compares itself to Cincinatti, too. Not so much with Buffalo. Despite being in PA, Pgh is more oriented towards Ohio. It's very close, probably 35 miles from the Ohio line.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM

1,903 posts, read 5,605,328 times
Cleveland to Pittsburgh is a nice drive, but it's not short. It's not long either. It's long if you had wine to drink on top of Mt Washington, or were spinning around Monroeville at sunset.

Back when I first read RF's two books, I was living outside of Akron and thought maybe he should be forced to live in metro Cleveland for a while. He writes well, but he's a jerk (typical academic). I would sentence him to Champaign-Urbana for a standard contract term. I'm just really mean that way. Huh, I think the UI has an urban planning/studies program, have to check on it. Heck, he would be a more interesting speaker than we usually see here.

I'm not supposed to complain about C-U. It only smells bad here on random days, and the paycheck does smell like real money, and acts like it too. That's better than U-Pitt, who offered no financial incentive and is in Oakland, a stinky part of Pittsburgh.

Berkeley stinks and is dangerous. I think you need to be a dirty hippie to like Berkeley. I suspect that Richard Florida would rather be in Ann Arbor, but I haven't interviewed him yet.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Cleveland to Pittsburgh is a nice drive, but it's not short. It's not long either. It's long if you had wine to drink on top of Mt Washington, or were spinning around Monroeville at sunset.

LOL!

Back when I first read RF's two books, I was living outside of Akron and thought maybe he should be forced to live in metro Cleveland for a while. He writes well, but he's a jerk (typical academic). I would sentence him to Champaign-Urbana for a standard contract term. I'm just really mean that way. Huh, I think the UI has an urban planning/studies program, have to check on it. Heck, he would be a more interesting speaker than we usually see here.

LOL! MY DH had an adviser when he was a grad student at U of I who said that the blah-ness of the place was an incentive to work harder. There was nothing else to do in that town!

I'm not supposed to complain about C-U. It only smells bad here on random days, and the paycheck does smell like real money, and acts like it too. That's better than U-Pitt, who offered no financial incentive and is in Oakland, a stinky part of Pittsburgh.

If you go to the Pittsburgh forum, you will see that many think Oakland/Shadyside is the epitome of "hipness".

Berkeley stinks and is dangerous. I think you need to be a dirty hippie to like Berkeley. I suspect that Richard Florida would rather be in Ann Arbor, but I haven't interviewed him yet.
Never been to Berkely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.