Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Never said a tornado couldnt hit Indianapolis.
Just saying by that chart it looks like the EF0-2 are the ones that hit Central Indiana.
Northern Indiana seems to get the stronger ones.
Still ive never had to deal with a tornado though so its extremely hit and miss.
That's like saying OKC Bricktown has never been leveled by an EF-5 tornado, so it never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
That's like saying OKC Bricktown has never been leveled by an EF-5 tornado, so it never will.
We used to say that tornadoes "couldn't" touch down within the city limits in Minneapolis. Then two did in successive seasons-- one almost leveling the Northside.

It is rare, but it happens....particularly with global climate change, and stronger weather systems...

Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Think its Tennessee

Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM

371 posts, read 940,536 times
ok guys got an important question, exactly what make a city/state to have lower cost of living vs other cities/states? is it the state's law? population? I have always wondered about that. And I dont want to move into this city/state then few years later the cost of living go up too much.

for the states that got lower cost of living, like TX, FL, AZ....how many years have they been that way? but who knows if they will stay that way...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:39 PM

27,550 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
ok guys got an important question, exactly what make a city/state to have lower cost of living vs other cities/states?
Simple answer: market demand.

Cities/states that have a higher/lower cost of living are that way because people are willing to pay more/less to live there.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Cities/states that have a higher/lower cost of living are that way because people are willing to pay more/less to live there.
not necessarily.
Indianapolis has the nations most affordable housing market yet the city gained 50,000 and the metro area gained 250,000 people from 2000-2010. it has a pretty healthy 1.5% yearly growth rate.
We can all try to simplify things to try and get off the hook but the reality is the northeast isnt growing cause people want to move there. people are fleeing south where its cheaper.
It all depends on rather you want to give more or your money to the state government. Californians love to justify their liberal government as high service. ah ya right California has schools that pale in comparison to Indiana's. Plus their education system is broke where our's is fine and actually is getting an increase in funding again due to a booming economy.
A move from California to Indiana will cut your taxes by 50% and cost of living by atleast 40% depending of course on your area.
It really will never make sense to me and alot of middle class people why live in a place like NYC or San Francisco. Why pay 50% more in cost of living and taxes and over 75% more in real estate cost atleast when i can live in a place like Indy use the money saved and vacation around the world. Heck i know a couple of Indy friends that take advantage of Indy's low taxes and cost of living and they travel the world with the money saved. Talk about an adventure and a fun time
When northeasters call the midwest flyover country it just shows what living in a concrete jungle/wasteland can do to your mind.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Growth rates would suggest otherwise.

Taxes and regulations have more to do with it than market demand.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Growth rates would suggest otherwise.

Taxes and regulations have more to do with it than market demand.
+1
Thank you i was thinking the same thing.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
ok guys got an important question, exactly what make a city/state to have lower cost of living vs other cities/states? is it the state's law? population? I have always wondered about that. And I dont want to move into this city/state then few years later the cost of living go up too much.

for the states that got lower cost of living, like TX, FL, AZ....how many years have they been that way? but who knows if they will stay that way...

Florida no longer has a low cost of living.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,301 times
Florida, Texas, and Arizona may be cheaper than other states as a whole, but when you get to the major population centers it will be just as expensive as anywhere else that is desirable to live.

Can't speak for Florida or Arizona, but Texas overall has a low COL only because it is such a HUGE state. But when you get to where people actually want to live, I don't think it will be what you are asking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.