Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It took 5 pages to mention the 17th largest city in the country.

Just proves me right.... Ft. Worth, TX is THE most overshadowed, underrated city in the country.

And what's this about NOT hearing anything about the other Texas cities....?(Austin, San Antone) They're mentioned all the time.
Take note of the fact that I didn't say Austin. I hear about Austin all the time. San Antonio is terribly unheard of. The only time I ever hear about it on this site (outside of the SA forum) is when I bring it up, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Fort Worth is often viewed as just a big suburb of Dallas. A lot of people don't even view it as a separate entity.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,665 times
I like the irony of this thread, of reading through it and saying "oh, I forgot about that city". Ironic.

Has Louisville been mentioned yet? It recently merged into a county-city consolidation much like Nashville, which in turn increased the population overnight by around 300,000 and the city now has 550K people, just ahead of Las Vegas.

I think of the the cities with a population of over 1 million, San Antonio is the least heard about.

Bakersfield and Toledo are two "stand-alone" (read: non-suburban) sizable forgotten cities, both with populations of around 300K.

I also have to say that while you hear about it, Baltimore is routinely lost in the shuffle of the Northeast Bos-Wash corridor. People talk about New York, about DC, then Boston, then Philadelphia, and then Baltimore is sort of an afterthought.

As for the "Northeast Jefferson, Colorado" thing; I'm not sure the reasoning behind that but City Data's page does that sort of thing with a lot of places. There's an "East Seattle" with a population of 500,000. There's a Southeast Montgomery, Texas with a population of 200,000, and quite a few other places that aren't really cities. The site didn't always do that. It's just been the past year or so and I'm not sure the reasoning behind it or where those figures come from.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Lansing is a great place - it gots a Big Boy, and gas stations, too.
Nah, Golden Harvest puts the Big Boy up there in a headlock and makes him say uncle.

Best quote of my Lansing trip 2007: "THE LANSING LUGNUTS!?"

Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Baltimore is often talked about, but as a Marylander I actually wish it wasn't talked about as much. Whenever Baltimore is mentioned, its always because its in the headliens for crime. Besides the main tourist places like New YOrk and Miami, the most talked about cities in this country are usually mentioned because of their problems, like Baltimore, Detroit or Cleveland.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
The only time I ever hear about [San Antonio] on this site (outside of the SA forum) is when I bring it up, lol.
Ditto

Quote:
Fort Worth is often viewed as just a big suburb of Dallas. A lot of people don't even view it as a separate entity
Tell me about it. It's not just Ft. Worth, it's anything within 50 miles of Dallas, that people concider a suburb. I don't know about anyone else, but any city with over 650,000 people isn't a suburb.

BTW, some of you guys are saying towns like Indianapolis, San Jose, and San Antonio are over looked. Hey, at least those cities have sports teams....a skyline you could be proud of.... SOMETHING.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee are IMO the three biggest cities that get ignored.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
BTW, some of you guys are saying towns like Indianapolis, San Jose, and San Antonio are over looked. Hey, at least those cities have sports teams....a skyline you could be proud of.... SOMETHING.
That may be true, but those cities aren't recognized for that. San Antonio has the best basketball team in the league, but people still won't give the city credit for that.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
Default Milwaukee

Being a Milwaukee resident, I can assure that Milwaukee is the #1 - or at least in the top handful - of overlooked cities. This is a city of a metro of between 1.5 and 1.7 million, has 2 major league sports teams (MLB and NBA) and yet most people have no idea where Milwaukee even is. Living in Chicago's shadow I think has much to do with that.

Besides Milwaukee, other large cities that are often overlooked:

-San Jose, CA
-El Paso, TX
-Columbus, OH
-Omaha, NE
-Buffalo, NY

I cannot put either Fort Worth TX or St. Paul MN on this list as while both kind of are overlooked, they really aren't, as Fort Worth is considered to the layman as part of the "Dallas" or "DFW" massive metro area, and St. Paul is considered part of the "Minneapolis" or "Twin Cities" large metro area.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Manchester, NH, the largest city in New Hampshire
Wilmington, DE, the largest city in Delaware
Baltimore, MD is always forgotten, unless if its about crime (grrr...)
san jose, CA even though it is the biggest city in the area, San Francisco and even oakland overshadow it
Jackson,MS , the largest city in Mississippi
Billings,MT, the largest city in Montana
Fargo,ND, (largest city in ND)unless the movie is broughtup, which isn't even about the city
Sioux City, IA, the largest city in South Dakota
Tucson,AZ, hardly ever mentioned, seems like its second to Phoenix
El paso, TX, largest city in west texas
Spokane, WA, never heard anything about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.