U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM

344 posts, read 867,216 times

Advertisements

I'm used to cities in the Northeast like Boston, NY, Philly, etc.

I'm sure I'll eventually move. I've been looking at some smaller cities in warmer places. Cities without pro sports teams, without as big of a downtown area, etc. Obviously there's no substitute for actually visiting these cities, but I'm curious what you would expect my reaction to be if I moved to places like:

Albuquerque, NM
Savannah, GA

etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,029,475 times
*shows up in downtown*

*walks 15 feet*

*see rural area*

"That's it?!"

Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Probably extremely small. Have you considered other cities that are still small yet urban?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
I think you wold love Etc. Downtown Etc is revitalizing, and they are building a sports complex to house the Etc Ibids.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Probably extremely small. Have you considered other cities that are still small yet urban?
thanks for the response. any ideas?

Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
thanks for the response. any ideas?
What's your criteria? I was thinking somewhere like Albany NY, only 100 thousand people but very walkable and has its own major airport.

But then there are those mid-size cities like Charlotte, Minneapolis, etc. It depends on how small of a place you are looking for.

Check out Eugene, OR.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
As a transplant from Boston having moved to Albuquerque last year I can say without hesitation an absolute yes, it will feel substantially smaller here. This is a metro of just under 1 million (about 20% that of Boston), our tallest building is 22 stories, and the city has a much more spread out layout and surroundings of high desert and mountains. It's a complete change of pace and environment (something I wanted and had in mind when moving here). If you're looking for an urban pulse around here then it will definitely come up short. It's not a dead one horse town and there are some vibrant parts with enough to keep busy but the great outdoors and abundant sunshine is the primary attraction of living here. Santa Fe is just up the road about an hour away with plenty of artistry and cultural attractions so there is plenty of eclectic character to go around, just not in a really big city kind of way.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 02-08-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As a transplant from Boston having moved to Albuquerque last year I can say without hesitation an absolute yes, it will feel substantially smaller here. This is a metro of just under 1 million (about 20% that of Boston), our tallest building is 22 stories, and the city has a much more spread out layout and surroundings of high desert and mountains. It's a complete change of pace and environment (something I wanted and had in mind when moving here). If you're looking for an urban pulse around here then it will definitely come up short. It's not a dead one horse town and there are some vibrant parts with enough to keep busy but the great outdoors and abundant sunshine is the primary attraction of living here. Santa Fe is just up the road about an hour away with plenty of artistry and cultural attractions so there is plenty of eclectic character to go around, just not in a really big city kind of way.
sounds interesting. I'm definitely looking to escape the Rat-race mentality and find nice weather, so I'll check out Albuquerque even though I understand what you're saying about it being significantly smaller and more spread out.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
How small would cities like these feel to me..?

That's a question only you can answer.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
sounds interesting. I'm definitely looking to escape the Rat-race mentality and find nice weather, so I'll check out Albuquerque even though I understand what you're saying about it being significantly smaller and more spread out.
I had the same thing in mind. We definitely have four seasons but winters are shorter and summer is longer, no blizzards and if it snows its gone by noon the next day though it does get pretty chilly at night. Earlier this week we had mid day temps in the 60's and I was wearing shorts and t-shirts from April well into October last year. It's nice and dry here with over 300 days of sunshine a year. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.