Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 9,305 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 years old, I've lived on Long Island my entire life, and I'm desperate for a big change in my life. I work in office services for a company in Manhattan. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life, so a 2 year associates degree in liberal arts is my highest level of education. I want to move by early next year to a place that I have never been before. A place that is completely different than what I am used to in everyday life, and a place that is cheaper to live than the psychotic prices for rent in the NY area.

What I have in mind is Memphis TN, Austin TX, Colorado Springs CO, Seattle WA, and Raleigh NC (or a small town near one of these places). I have never visited any of these places, but I want to try one out. If anyone can give me advice on any of these places as far as possible jobs I can find (I'm very open to when it comes to a job) that would pay me enough to live on my own in a reasonale place (1 bedroom), give me health benefits, and allow me to live my life without financially struggling every day, it would really be appreciated. I'm looking for any information that I can get. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Find a job first. Then move. You'll be able to job search several cities at once that way. Any reason you picked the cities you did? Not much in common. What are you looking for in a potential city?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM

I definitely wouldn't move until I have a job lined up first. I really picked these particular places because I feel as if they're probably all different, and I want to be in a place that is not anything like what I am used to. I just need advice on what potential jobs are most available and what I should search for. I don't have specifics on what I want in the city.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,005 times
OK. What is important to you? What interests you?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM

I love hockey and football. I'm a big fan of music, mostly all forms of rock. I love good scenery, and travel. I'd like a place where I have a fairly easy opportunity to meet new people as well. I don't necessarily need to find a job in any of those fields though. Just looking for a decent job where I can live without killing myself financially.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM

I live in NY, so the traffic wouldn't factor in to where I go or not. It's the worst of the worst over here. I'm also not interested in returning to school.

As for Nashville, I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. I'm more focused on finding a job that will give me a decent pay so I'm not really sttruggling living on my own. The citys I chose are because I've seen them all on a number of lists online saying that they are all up and coming, and they are places that younger people are flocking to.

And of course I would miss the chinese food and pizza if I left here. I'm sure the bagels aren't the same in Austin either.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I don't think that's true. An administrative assistant can make $15/hr. That's twice minimum wage. Could she live alone on that? Yes, but it would depend upon whether or not you have debt and what your spending habits are.
I could easily live on that in North Carolina. I have very little debt, and I can easily be smart with my money. Is an admin, or possibly an office services job for some kind of company be easy to find near Raleigh?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Many northeasterners have moved to North Carolina. Not saying that you should stick with only northeasterners, but you will have plenty of authentic Carolinians to meet also. Lots of colleges that bring people from all over the world too.

Same with Austin. Texas is getting an influx of people from other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.