Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,610 times

Advertisements

As you know, the mountains are generally hundreds of miles inland from the eastern seaboard, unlike the five states in the west bordering the Pacific.

Counting territories, there are three areas where you still can see the Atlantic from a mountain, which are these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
technically you can from Mt. Washington but needs to be really clear. Cadillac Mountain is the best along the seaboard if it counts as high enough.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:42 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
As you know, the mountains are generally hundreds of miles inland from the eastern seaboard, unlike the five states in the west bordering the Pacific.

Counting territories, there are three areas where you still can see the Atlantic from a mountain, which are these?
Maine and New Hampshire are the first two. Then it gets tricky and I have no idea.

If I had to guess, I would say the third answer is probably in the North. As you go South, the mountains move diagonally away from the coastline. For instance, North Carolina has the tallest mountains in the East and Virginia has Mount Rogers, but they are so far inland I am not really sure if you can see the Ocean from there. Maybe on a very clear day? Mount Rogers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going back North, you have the Blue Hills of Massachusetts. They are close to Massachjusetts Bay. I think you can see the water from them. However, not sure if it is the Ocean or even if the Blue Hills count as mountains. Great Blue Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Down in Connecticut, the Metacomet Ridge comes very close to Long Island Sound. But again, not sure if the Sound would count as part of the Ocean or whether it is a mountain or not. Metacomet Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the Southeast, the Watchung Mountains of northern New Jersey are low lying and I am not sure if you can see the Ocean. Further North, the Ramapos and Hudson Highlands of Downstate New York are taller but I do not think you can see the Ocean from them.
Watchung Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hudson Highlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pennsylvania is FILLED with mountains and hills but I don't think you can see the Ocean from either Pennsylvania or Maryland mountains.

Give us the answer!

Last edited by LINative; 02-16-2013 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: added mouintains to the sentence about Maryland. You can see the Ocean from Maryland, at the beach!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Maine and New Hampshire are the first two. Then it gets tricky and I have no idea.

If I had to guess, I would say the third answer is probably in the North. As you go South, the mountains move diagonally away from the coastline. For instance, North Carolina has the tallest mountains in the East and Virginia has Mount Rogers, but they are so far inland I am not really sure if you can see the Ocean from there. Maybe on a very clear day? Mount Rogers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going back North, you have the Blue Hills of Massachusetts. They are close to Massachjusetts Bay. I think you can see the water from them. However, not sure if it is the Ocean or even if the Blue Hills count as mountains. Great Blue Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Down in Connecticut, the Metacomet Ridge comes very close to Long Island Sound. But again, not sure if the Sound would count as part of the Ocean or whether it is a mountain or not. Metacomet Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the Southeast, the Watchung Mountains of northern New Jersey are low lying and I am not sure if you can see the Ocean. Further North, the Ramapos and Hudson Highlands of Downstate New York are taller but I do not think you can see the Ocean from them.
Watchung Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hudson Highlands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pennsylvania is FILLED with mountains and hills but I don't think you can see the Ocean from either Pennsylvania or Maryland mountains.

Give us the answer!
I have only gone to NH once, to Portsmouth. It was many, many years ago and I cannot recall if there were mountains nearby. But I did not know that from Mt Washington you could see the ocean. I guess as per my question I suppose I have to fix it, so there are four areas (I went recently to Connecticut and RI and I don't remember seeing mountains along the way through I-95 so I believe there are no more corrections needed. So NH and Maine have high views of the Atlantic.

I would not like to give the answer yet and see if someone else can guess which two more areas of the U.S. (again- including territories) besides Maine and NH share high views of the ATLANTIC.

So, to help, look at two things: INCLUDING TERRITORIES, and second, ATLANTIC. That means Michigan and Minnesota are out of the poll because although they may be considered part of the east, they only have views of the Lakes. The same applies to all states bordering the Lakes. The question refers to the Atlantic Ocean- not the Great Lakes or any major body of water found in the east. Only the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Another help, these two areas that have not been guessed give GORGEOUS views of the Atlantic Ocean. Really beautiful.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
So, to help, look at two things: INCLUDING TERRITORIES, and second, ATLANTIC. That means Michigan and Minnesota are out of the poll because although they may be considered part of the east, they only have views of the Lakes. The same applies to all states bordering the Lakes. The question refers to the Atlantic Ocean- not the Great Lakes or any major body of water found in the east. Only the Atlantic Ocean.
Pssst, neither Michigan or Minnesota are part of the East. They are both Midwest States.

As for the original question my guesses would be Maine, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Nova Scotia and Newfoundland are part of Canada.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM

Some people consider anything east of the Mississippi part of the East but you are right they are too inland especially Minnesota.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Well for territory I am assuming you mean puerto rico.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
And the Virgin Islands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.