Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times

Advertisements

Does Tucson, Arizona feel bit more urban than Phoenix? I don't know if all of Tucson is like that but it seems Tucson is bit more urban where Phoenix took down way too many buildings and made the roads from two lane to three lane or more.

I have seen many one story buildings at the street and other places small one story building with small parking almost at the street where Phoenix took down many one story building and build the buildings way back from the street , made the street from two lane to three lane or more and bigger parking lot.

Also Tucson seem to have bit more foot traffic than Phoenix.

The strips along the roads of one story building at the street or almost at the street with small parking seems to be more fast food , restaurants and every day stuff where in Phoenix what little is left is abandoned building or industrial stuff . And is almost hardly any roads with only two lanes in Phoenix now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:34 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
No.

They're very similar and very Western, which means very unurban in the Eastern sense. Those things you described in Tucson are found in Phoenix. Perhaps you missed them?

You're talking about Phoenix with over 500 square miles of city not including the surrounding cities, I don't think you can generalize an overall look or feel to PHX. Some neighborhoods yes, some no. Tucson too.

Either way, this thread should be in the Arizona forum.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
No.

They're very similar and very Western, which means very unurban in the Eastern sense. Those things you described in Tucson are found in Phoenix. Perhaps you missed them?

You're talking about Phoenix with over 500 square miles of city not including the surrounding cities, I don't think you can generalize an overall look or feel to PHX. Some neighborhoods yes, some no. Tucson too.

Either way, this thread should be in the Arizona forum.
Those one story store-fronts at street where very typical in US in south in the 20's , 30's and tight parking and building almost at the street where typical of the 40's and 50's but obsolete with today standards of chain stores of one stop shopping than going to 5 or 7 stores to do shopping .

Many one story store-fronts have struggled in US ( with likes of K-mart , target ,walmart and costco ) and have to specialized to stay business or take on fast food or restaurants.

South of down town Phoenix is depressing with what little is left of store-fronts abandoned buildings and up north on Indian school road is way to suburb to be any where close to urban.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Those one story store-fronts at street where very typical in US in south in the 20's , 30's and tight parking and building almost at the street where typical of the 40's and 50's but obsolete with today standards of chain stores of one stop shopping than going to 5 or 7 stores to do shopping .

Many one story store-fronts have struggled in US ( with likes of K-mart , target ,walmart and costco ) and have to specialized to stay business or take on fast food or restaurants.

South of down town Phoenix is depressing with what little is left of store-fronts abandoned buildings and up north on Indian school road is way to suburb to be any where close to urban.
I like those one story store-fronts a lot and tend to keep an eye out for them, so I've noticed them in parts of Phoenix too. Don't get me wrong, I love both cities, but Tucson does embrace older buildings more. I'd have to admit that.

Some of those one story store-front type places can be found north of downtown up to Central PHX. The closer you get to Camelback the more they're remodeled in a modern look or hopelessly hip bistros or vintage clothing stores. The Melrose Curve is good area for them. It's on 7th Ave. between Indian School and Camelback. There's some neighborhood foot traffic there, some coffee shops, old school mexican restaurants, antique shops, vintage clothes, and etc. The "Camelback Corridor" too. From about Central east to 12th or 16th streets has restaurants and shops like how you describe. It's definitely car-centric but tight parking and the front doors right on the main street make them more inviting for foot traffic and relics in a sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.