Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas decided to go after 1 player in the last 10 years from Seattle and this somehow proves that Seattle is a hot commodity for talent? No sir. Texas does not need Seattle players.
Then why did Texas come to Washington to recruit a player? Maybe because he is the best TE in college football in 2013. How many other states does Texas recruit? Not many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Cincinnati is five hours from any of the great lakes and has tons of hills and giant river going through it. It is not a flat, cornfield "blob" like you may think it is. Dayton is about as far as Tacoma is from Seattle and the merging of the two metro areas has been discussed for some time now.

I see I forgot the place kicker on a mediocre USC team. And I keep forgetting the city of Tacoma is actually the city of Seattle. 3 players on USC. Congrats
Banner isn't from Tacoma. USC is just being lazy.

Quote:
It's not my fault that both Washington teams are mediocre at best, if not terrible (WSU), which is funny because UW and WSU are the only teams that have more than 33% players from Washington.
Washington will be top 25 in 2013 and would kick the crap out of lowly Cincinnati.

Washington is a top 20, National Championship winning football program. Cincy a basketball school, is not in the top 50 of football programs and fan support is meager.

Cincy is one of the worst NFL cities. How many TV blackouts do you guys average per year? How many did you have over the last two playoff seasons?

Cincy is not a top 20 football city. When you lose the NFL in the next few decades, it will rate even lower.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You are talking about an entirely different topic. Reading comprehension: learn it!
Well, I don't think you conprehend that Big Schools in South Florida actually do draw crowds and have large fanbases. The Phins might not sellout, but Glades Central does.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You can not be considered the best overall football city without good fans, good support, and a good football culture. You just can't.
The Youth Football leagues throughout South Florida draw plenty of support. Some of the best and largest Youth Football leagues in the nation.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Well, I don't think you conprehend that Big Schools in South Florida actually do draw crowds and have large fanbases. The Phins might not sellout, but Glades Central does.
The Hurricanes attendance blows even when they are winning natl. championships. Miami is a mediocre overall football city.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The Hurricanes attendance blows even when they are winning natl. championships. Miami is a mediocre overall football city.
Glades Central is a High School. The High School games sellout on every Friday night. And the Hurricanes is a fairweather fanbase indeed, but when they're winning titles they DO sellout. I hate all these internet football cities list, because they only judge football cities on the basis of their professional fanbases. I hate that. Those cities could give a damn about football outside of Sundays and outside of fantasy football. Combine the history of the Dolphins franchise(2 chamionships, the only undefeated season), combined that with all the superbowls that Miami has hosted(tied with NO, and will overtake NO when it host Superbowl 50), and combined that with all the NFL talent that the city of Miami has produced in the last 20yrs(NUMBER 1 city for NFL talent), and combine that with all the championships the Hurricanes have won between 82' and 2002 and all the talent that the hurricanes churn out to the NFL. I'd say outside of fairweather fans(which I admit is Miami's main problem) Miami should be near the top of the list for football cities.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
No, Miami just isn't that great of a sports city. It's a glitz and glamour, popularity city, i.e., the Heat...

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, Miami just isn't that great of a sports city. It's a glitz and glamour, popularity city, i.e., the Heat...
If we're basing this on fanbase, than yes Miami's a fairweather city. But high school sports in South Florida like football, and youth leagues, receive a large amount of community support. All these football town list, are always reduced to who has the most rapid NFL fans. They never determine Football Town USA on a grassroots level.

And I can understand why, who'd want to see fairweather fan cities like Miami at the top of Best Football Cities. So they stick to the old "What city has the most diehard fans" argument. Let's be honest, as rabid as Philly, NYC, Chicago, New England, fans are, they don't care much about football outside of Sundays.

They don't see the grassroots of football, and they don't care much for the peewee leagues, youth leagues, and high schools that created their teams most dynamic players. Miami is a fairweather city, I agree with anyone who says this. The fans aren't as diehard and rabid. But at a grassroots level, and in producing NFL talent, Miami is 2nd to none.

Without Miami/South Florida, you wouldn't have Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp(from Central Florida, but played at The U), Ray Lewis(from Central florida but played at The U), Frank Gore, Jonathan Vilma, Chad Ochocinco, Vince Wilfork, Devin Hester, Sean Taylor(RIP), Asante Samuel, Pierre Garcon, the list goes on and on and on.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 AM

800 posts, read 780,901 times
Quote:
Banner isn't from Tacoma. USC is just being lazy.

Washington will be top 25 in 2013 and would kick the crap out of lowly Cincinnati.

Washington is a top 20, National Championship winning football program. Cincy a basketball school, is not in the top 50 of football programs and fan support is meager.

Cincy is one of the worst NFL cities. How many TV blackouts do you guys average per year? How many did you have over the last two playoff seasons?

Cincy is not a top 20 football city. When you lose the NFL in the next few decades, it will rate even lower.
I literally have to laugh.

You challenge high school. Cincinnati blows Seattle out of the water. You go to college. UC blows both WSU and UW out of the water. Congrats y'all won a national championship in 1990. Notre Dame did years ago and look how they did this year (actually they made the BCS national championship game and thus a BCS bowl, something a Washington team has not done for 15 years since 1998) so that be a novel thing for any team with players from seattle.

Woulda Coulda Shoulda means nothing. Stats mean everything. Until you back up your ramblings with sources you just look like a football pariah. If you want to challenge Cincinnati, Miami, Cleveland, and Texas (along with every other Southern state, which produces more big time talent than Washington) find the stats to prove it. No one cares about one tight end. Mack Brown certainly does not, he has players from 10 different states on his Longhorn team and they did just fine without a Washington player. Kevin Sumlin had eight different states represented on his Aggie team. They did just fine without a player from Washington.

You know what both coaches had in common however? Both had players from Ohio including those from the Cincinnati area but no Washington players. Not a single one.

TCU does not have a Washington player and they seem to be doing better than both UW and WSU. They have Cincinnati players too. Official Football Roster - TCU Horned Frogs Official Athletic Site

Texas Tech? Can't find a single player from Washington on their roster.

Baylor? Yet again not a single Washington player. Even though you state they're so in demand.

SMU? yet again more zeros for the state of Washington.

To be blunt Texas does not need Seattle at all. And their current rosters show that. The only teams who have sizeable portions of Seattle athletes are terrible. You can say all you want about next year or ten years from now, but over the past five years WSU and UW are well under fiver hundred and have one bowl win between them. UC beats both of those schools and let's not even talk about OSU compared to UW and WSU.

And if you want to compare NFL teams, the Bengals and the Seahawks are just about dead even go on about blackouts all you want. The Bengals have two super bowl appearances, seven division championships, and eleven playoff appearances. Their all time winning percentage is 44%.

The Seahawks have one super bowl appearance, seven division championships and twelve playoff appearances. Like the Bengals, the Seahawks all time winning percentage is 44%

You can blabber on about attendance all you want and make unsubstantiated statements all you want. The fact is Seattle is a Tier IV or Tier III football city at best. Don't even compare it to Miami or Texas.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I literally have to laugh.
no kidding, this is one of the bigger displays of homerism i've seen in a long time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.