Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Are you saying 90% of girls in Houston and Forth worth wear tight jeans , tight shorts and tight girly tops ?

I think I got confused by some past similar threads people saying that people in the state of Texas and Houston really dress down.

Are you saying it like that in down town area and urban areas of Denver?

Well because general rule people in suburb dress more casual than city.
Why does it have to be 90%? It could be 51% and it would still be most. Dressed down doesn't mean baggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
I'd say in the Pacific Northwest people tend to not be as highly concerned with physical appearances. You see more of the flannel, hoodie types here. Even wearing sweatpants is probably more socially acceptable than in most other places.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Check these videos between Seattle and Wash D.C. The differences in the average fashion are quite noticeable. There's more individualism and a grungier style in Seattle fashion compared to Wash D.C.

Hey, D.C.! What song are you listening to? - YouTube

Hey Seattle! What song are you listening to? - YouTube

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Why does it have to be 90%? It could be 51% and it would still be most. Dressed down doesn't mean baggy.

So you are saying 50% dress like this? Is most 50% or 60% ? I just put 90% may be that was not good number but I'm not there so don't know the number if it is 50% or 80% or 90%

The English dictionary does NOT have words on level of baggy or level of dress casual.I think we are getting confused on words like dress down casual , dress up casual and unsexal , non unsexal or borderline girly so on because the English dictionary does have words for what I'm trying to say.

But has general rule clothes people wear in the house are more casual and baggy .Yes some girls who go for walk or to gym may wear more fitted t-shirt or tank tops but normal general rule more casual baggy .When girls go out in public they normally don't want to dress like guy or like they came from gym or the house so normally than put on more fitted t-shirt or girly top well unfortunately the english language does not have words that explain this contrast so I'm putting in words like dress down casual , dress up casual and unsexal , non unsexal or borderline girly so but confusing people.

When people say in past threads here people in Texas and Houston dress really casual I thought they mean clothes people wear around the house or to the gym.

What these girls are doing you are trying to say is putting on more street casual clothes that make them more girly and less like I came from the gym or the house.It still casual but not like they came from gym or the house.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Quote:
What is Western wear ? Are you saying there is some kind of western style in the west coast if that is what you are trying to say?
Since when does Western mean West Coast? I mean like Urban Cowboy. Western shirts, starched Wranglers, cowboy boots/hats.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Check these videos between Seattle and Wash D.C. The differences in the average fashion are quite noticeable. There's more individualism and a grungier style in Seattle fashion compared to Wash D.C.

Hey, D.C.! What song are you listening to? - YouTube

Hey Seattle! What song are you listening to? - YouTube

I find these videos interesting how people dress.I look up some videos on Pierce County and seems it is very casual there more loose baggy clothing girls and guys into and more hooded sweatshirts loose t-shirt .Also girls there are more into casual loose clothing less looking girly.

It be interesting to do Pierce County vs Boston. And Los Angeles vs Phoenix.

Looking at those videos Seattle and even more so in suburbs does seem have more grungier style ,rock band style and casual loose clothing. Where Portland seems more hippies , hipsters and out door type people.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
So you are saying 50% dress like this? Is most 50% or 60% ? I just put 90% may be that was not good number but I'm not there so don't know the number if it is 50% or 80% or 90%

The English dictionary does NOT have words on level of baggy or level of dress casual.I think we are getting confused on words like dress down casual , dress up casual and unsexal , non unsexal or borderline girly so on because the English dictionary does have words for what I'm trying to say.

But has general rule clothes people wear in the house are more casual and baggy .Yes some girls who go for walk or to gym may wear more fitted t-shirt or tank tops but normal general rule more casual baggy .When girls go out in public they normally don't want to dress like guy or like they came from gym or the house so normally than put on more fitted t-shirt or girly top well unfortunately the english language does not have words that explain this contrast so I'm putting in words like dress down casual , dress up casual and unsexal , non unsexal or borderline girly so but confusing people.

When people say in past threads here people in Texas and Houston dress really casual I thought they mean clothes people wear around the house or to the gym.

What these girls are doing you are trying to say is putting on more street casual clothes that make them more girly and less like I came from the gym or the house.It still casual but not like they came from gym or the house.
When people say that some Texans dress down, it doesn't necessarily mean loose-fitting and other unflattering stuff. "Dressing casual" can mean a nice pair of jeans and a crisp white tee. Skinny jeans are everywhere here, even on women who have no business wearing them.

So, no, Texas isn't just a bunch of people wearing baggy clothes.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:40 PM

567 posts, read 1,119,483 times
I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area. One thing I've noticed is that much the rest of the country is a few years behind fashion-wise. A buddy of mine from Bakersfield once told me the following:

"Dude, when I was in high school, once or twice a year I'd get on the 5 and go down towards L.A. I wouldn't even go that far in, I'd just get off in the Valley or something. Then I'd go to a Foot Locker at some mall, like the Glendale Galleria or something. And I'd get a pair of sneakers. The next Monday I'd go to school and people would literally form a circle around me and say 'whoah duuuuude!!!! Where'd you get those shoes!?!?!' To you, it was just a normal pair of sneakers from the mall, nothing special at all, but to kids in Bakersfield it was like I just stepped out of a time machine."

Heck, I moved to Vegas in 2005. I was walking around the UNLV campus and I thought to myself "wait a minute, why does it feel like 2002?" Then I realized... it was everyone's clothes. And this was Vegas, which ain't exactly Hooterville. I've been told Utah is a good 15 years behind.

Another friend, from Montana. "Dude, you saw Napoleon Dynamite? That sh** was accurate. People were experimenting with styles that were like 20 years out of date and they thought they were being cool and creative. They had no freaking idea. It's better now because of the internet, but when I was a teenager, that's actually how it was."

This isn't because L.A. people are so much cooler. The big coastal cities are basically test markets for fashion. If a pair of sneakers sells well among kids in L.A. or New York, then a little while later they'll sell it to kids in Indiana. Ohio is the test market for junk food; if they like it there, they'll like it everywhere. Chicago is the test market for video games because the weather sucks year 'round.

And I'm no fashion plate myself. I never paid attention, until I left L.A. I couldn't help but notice the difference.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,717 times
Quote:
I find these videos interesting how people dress.I look up some videos on Pierce County and seems it is very casual there more loose baggy clothing girls and guys into and more hooded sweatshirts loose t-shirt .Also girls there are more into casual loose clothing less looking girly.

It be interesting to do Pierce County vs Boston. And Los Angeles vs Phoenix.

Looking at those videos Seattle and even more so in suburbs does seem have more grungier style ,rock band style and casual loose clothing. Where Portland seems more hippies , hipsters and out door type people.
The West Coast cities in general have a more relaxed dress code than other parts of the US. You could wear whatever you want, and the locals wouldn't bat a eye or say anything about it. East Coast cities tend to be a bit more conformist on average. Some of the hot trends in LA would be seen as "gay" in other cities, but is perfectly normal here.

Check the fashion differences between Los Angeles and Philadelphia. There's a more trendy and individualistic fashion sense in LA compared to Philly.

What are you listening to? Hollywood Edition - YouTube

Yo Philly! What Song Are You Listening To? - YouTube

Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,136 times
Both the Midwest and the South are the worst dressers in my observation.

Especially, the men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.