Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,326 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I live in Colorado and can offer some expertise for this region. I just wanted to clarify that although we may dress a bit more casually here than most places in the US (especially in the rural areas) , so-called "Western" clothing (cowboy hats, boots, ect.) is not as common here as many people may believe. The only place that I have ever seen this kind of clothing is on actual ranches, esspecially in the south near the New Mexico border (and with this it is really a matter of personal style) and in the airport (because there are tourists). In the mountains people typically dress practically for the weather, with casual but fitted cloths. In some of the more high-end ski resorts and in nice restaurants you'll see some dressier folks mixed in. In Denver, like any city, you see almost any type of style in different factions of the population. Still, if you are visiting, I wouldn't worry too much; I think in general people are pretty tolerant here of all kinds of dress. I hope that helps.

Last edited by lameemw; 07-17-2015 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
It's pretty much the same across the country, with some differences. New Yorkers are definitely fashion-conscious, across different cultures/classes, and the East Coast in general is more formal, especially in the business setting. West Coasters are more casual, though they do dress better in LA compared to the Bay Area. Midwesterners dress very plain, often frumpy (think pajamas in public), and those who do dress well tend to do so in the designer brands you find in Every Mall, USA. I haven't been down South enough to say one way or the other.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:33 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Southerners usually dress the most formal.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:12 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Obviously black, white, and Hispanic tend to dress differently. Additionally, people tend to be more formal dress in the south and also on the east coast. In the NW, dress is very informal and at times sloppy. Phoenix seems to be a bit preppy.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:42 PM

448 posts, read 591,443 times
After living in New Mexico and Texas, which I would say people dress similar, I noticed when visiting areas like Maine, Pittsburgh and Atlanta all dress differently.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:00 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Southerners usually dress the most formal.
sometime crazy formal, they wear ties to college football game in sec country.I think alot of that is fraternity culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.