Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times

Advertisements

Does the US have region culture in how people dress? The reason I ask this question is I made some claims about cities but I'm confused not understating the region culture thing.

Here is what I understand after doing some more reading what I think people are saying.

In the US people dress casual there also ghetto look , hipster look , preppy look ,trendy look and dress up look so on.

People in south dress casual so do people in eat coast and are more alike only difference is some people who dress in country look ( 90's style jeans ,cut off shirt , baseball cap ,boat shoes ,long hair ,overalls ,muscle shirt ,cut of jeans to make shorts) is in south but that is in the country and towns not city. The west coast also dress casual but different type of casual more fitted clothing and non unsexal clothing .Well new england has other type of dress. Some cities on west coat have preppy look and hipster look and other cities not the same with the east coast.

The ghetto look baggy jeans , baggy gym shorts ,long baggy t-shirt , baggy sweatshirt , do-rag so on is eat coast and south thing not west coat from what I understand.

I made some claims about Los Angeles and Phoenix and Canada and US so this where I got confused and what some one to clear it up here in this thread has it is off topic for other threads to understand region culture.

Some one want to explain more on the region culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
I am a firm believer that the different regions of the US have a different way of dressing. I just turned 20 and I lived my entire life between NY and CT. You can tell significant differences in the way people in my age group dress between New Englanders, upstate NYers, and downstate NYers.

When I moved to Atlanta in the summer of last year, I also could see a big difference. The way I dress now is completely different since I've lived here. Seems like skinnier clothing is more "in" down here than it was where I lived in upstate NY and in CT.

When I was in HS, I went on vacation over the summer to Maryland. People my age in MD wore brighter colored clothing (guys especially) than what I was use to. They wore the curved style hats or whatever the proper term is where as my friends from CT and NY had always worn fitted hats (flat brim).

Shudder shades seemed to be the thing to wear in MD and NJ when I visited over the summer, while aviators and wayferrers (sp?) were in back home.

I also noticed that men down here in Atlanta don't wear their gold chains on the outside of their clothing as much as men do in NY and New England. Not to be stereotypical, but I imagine it's because there is a significant decrease in Italian people here in Atlanta as opposed to NY/New England. I am half Italian and I wearing a nice gold chain with a crucifix is part of my casual wear. I work in an environment with virtually no dress code and when I wore a T shirt with a button up over it and my chain/crucifix over the T shirt, people acted like I was trying to show off my wealth or something ridiculous.

Come to think of it, every man in my family wears a chain and cross or other pendant like I do and many of my friends and their relatives do from back home. It must just not be a common thing down here as I don't see many men wearing them at all unless they're those "iced out" or gold hip hop chains which, by the way, look fake as fake can be.

Diamond earrings on guys is also common in the northeast nowadays. Nearly every single one of my guy friends has had or still have their ears pierced. Doesn't seem so popular in Atlanta.

When I traveled to Colorado and when I lived in FL briefly, there were also significant differences. But I've probably bored you guys enough with my post so far so I'm just gonna get ready and go to work and check back later.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
I noticed people out west really DID dress "western" (and not as a sort of "going out costume").

Old 02-21-2013, 01:20 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
Whoa, I have not seen diamond earrings on any guys up here. Sounds more like that would be in NY/NJ but not in New England.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I've been all over the U.S. and to me it seems people dress in whatever they're most comfortable in. There may be a few regional variations, but not many. I've seen jeans, boots and cowboy hats here in Colorado, but also in Los Angeles, Arkansas, and the east coast. I've seen those stupid black pants with the chains all over too. Dumb baseball caps seems to be everyplace.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
When I was in HS, I went on vacation over the summer to Maryland. People my age in MD wore brighter colored clothing (guys especially) than what I was use to. They wore the curved style hats or whatever the proper term is where as my friends from CT and NY had always worn fitted hats (flat brim).

Diamond earrings on guys is also common in the northeast nowadays. Nearly every single one of my guy friends has had or still have their ears pierced. Doesn't seem so popular in Atlanta.
Snapbacks are finally "in fashion," so to speak, for Maryland. And earrings are pretty common here too, though usually not diamond ones.

In the urbanized parts of the Northeast, Lower Midwest (Missouri comes to mind), and the Upper South (Virginia, Kentucky, etc.), skinny jeans are pretty commonly seen on both guys and girls. Guys also tend to sag their jeans down a lot.

Where I live, it's very common to see a person wearing a sweatshirt or thin jacket along with shorts, regardless of whether the temperatures are in the teens or in the 80's. Not sure if this is a regional thing or not.

"Bama Bangs," or whatever they're called, are pretty common along the coastal South (south of NoVA, not too common here or in NoVA).

Old 02-21-2013, 02:54 PM

What I notice is sweatpants seem more popular in Philadelphia ,Tucson Arizona and San Bernardino even color sweatpants red and green so on.

In Los Angeles most 95% do not wear sweatpants and people that do black sweatpants more look like loose legging is more popular.

In Los Angeles and Miami most girls seem to wear tight jeans and fitted tops and more girly tops where I believe girls in Fort Worth and Houston it is more unsexal t-shirt and bit baggy.

The west coast other than the State of Washington it seems tight fitted casual non unsexal clothing where the State of Washington seems more unsexal clothing and loose clothing .

More hipsters and punk ,rock ,rock punk in west coast than the south.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What I notice is sweatpants seem more popular in Philadelphia ,Tucson Arizona and San Bernardino even color sweatpants red and green so on.

In Los Angeles most 95% do not wear sweatpants and people that do black sweatpants more look like loose legging is more popular.

In Los Angeles and Miami most girls seem to wear tight jeans and fitted tops and more girly tops where I believe girls in Fort Worth and Houston it is more unsexal t-shirt and bit baggy.

The west coast other than the State of Washington it seems tight fitted casual non unsexal clothing where the State of Washington seems more unsexal clothing and loose clothing .

More hipsters and punk ,rock ,rock punk in west coast than the south.
You've got to be kidding. Most girls in Texas wear pants so tight you can see every curve and crevice. Even toddlers are wearing skinny jeans.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You've got to be kidding. Most girls in Texas wear pants so tight you can see every curve and crevice. Even toddlers are wearing skinny jeans.
What? Houston is big on baggy pants http://www.bet.com/news/national/201...-Mall-News.jpg

Most girls dress like this these girls unsexal fit and others bit baggy unsexal http://worldonline.media.clients.ell...082bf6ded075dc

Just type Houston mall and Fort Worth mall in goggle image search you see what I mean.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
I don't think "unsexal" is a word in any region of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.