Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:52 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
They're probably happier than the average white person. They stronger family values, and are better connected to their families.

Black and white Americans are much more distant from their family. And the families in black and white communities isn't nearly as strong. People who come from a strong family background tend to be happier. Probably because they feel they have support, and in without family you're likely to feel you're in it for yourself. So I think Latinos are amongst the happiest demographic in the US
Speak for yourself. Us Italian-Americans are quite happy and close with our families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
The only polling I've seen has shown Latinos are less happy than blacks or whites.

Quote:
African-Americans appear to be less happy than in 2011, the report states, with 36 percent qualifying as very happy, down from 44% in 2011. But, although happiness is down in the black community, African Americans remain roughly as happy as whites (34 percent). In contrast, fewer than three in ten Hispanic Americans (28 percent) are very happy, which represents not only a decline from 2011 (35 percent) but also a significantly lower percentage than seen among either whites or African-Americans.
Of course, saying you're not "very happy" isn't the same thing as being unhappy. Maybe Latinos are more likely to be in the middle. But still, the little bit of data which exists doesn't back this up.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
So hard to generalize, IMO. I've known happy and unhappy Latinos and well as happy and unhappy white and black folks.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
I'd say not many minorities are very happy in America, especially now that Trump is the President-elect.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:56 PM

163 posts, read 130,041 times
How is this a discussion about cities? This belongs in great debates.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:21 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,363 times
Most whites and especially blacks living in the United States are Protestant.

Some major virtues of Protestantism are privacy and personal fulfillment, which are sorely lacking in many cultures or nations that are traditionally Roman Catholic. This includes the vast majority of Latin America.

Also, in Protestant nations, there is a stronger emphasis on having a small family (i.e., one or two children vs. three or more). This is not a value of traditionally Roman Catholic cultures, wherein contraception is highly frowned upon and having larger families is encouraged.

Protestant cultures (e.g., US, UK, Germany, Australia, etc.) place higher value on education and professional achievement, which is the reason why the most highly industrialized nations in the US are, for the most part, Protestant nations.

Latinos do not place any value on education or professional achievement. Data indicates that Latinos are the least educated racial / ethnic group in the United States, even when compared with blacks.

For example, I live in Los Angeles County, which is close to 50% Latino (the percentage is probably even higher when you factor in illegal aliens), and I would venture to guess that <10% of those in my office of 50-60 employees are Latino (maybe 4-5 total).

Because Latinos living in the United States are generally poor, have large families to support on minimal income, live in cramped quarters, maintain limited proficiency in our national language of English and struggle to identify with our mostly English-speaking, multi-generational, black-and-white Protestant culture, I cannot - for the life of me - imagine that they are generally happier or well-adjusted than your average black or white American.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:24 PM

594 posts, read 698,650 times
Most Blacks and Whits are knee deep in the struggle. The war of life, the arena if you will.
The " arena " is brutal. The struggle is real. The " arena " is not a fun place. Not a happy place.
Only the strong survive and WIN !
It doesn't matter the ethnicity of the participants because there are only two sides in the arena.
Blacks and Whites for some reason are over represented in this " arena ".
I am VERY proud of both Blacks and Whites for that incredible honor.
Other races might choose to be " laid back " or " happy " and that's fine.
Certain races are NEVER satisfied and choose to take a stand.
Personally, I choose the ARENA !

Old 11-20-2016, 11:07 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Most whites and especially blacks living in the United States are Protestant.

Some major virtues of Protestantism are privacy and personal fulfillment, which are sorely lacking in many cultures or nations that are traditionally Roman Catholic. This includes the vast majority of Latin America.

Also, in Protestant nations, there is a stronger emphasis on having a small family (i.e., one or two children vs. three or more). This is not a value of traditionally Roman Catholic cultures, wherein contraception is highly frowned upon and having larger families is encouraged.

Protestant cultures (e.g., US, UK, Germany, Australia, etc.) place higher value on education and professional achievement, which is the reason why the most highly industrialized nations in the US are, for the most part, Protestant nations.

Latinos do not place any value on education or professional achievement. Data indicates that Latinos are the least educated racial / ethnic group in the United States, even when compared with blacks.

For example, I live in Los Angeles County, which is close to 50% Latino (the percentage is probably even higher when you factor in illegal aliens), and I would venture to guess that <10% of those in my office of 50-60 employees are Latino (maybe 4-5 total).

Because Latinos living in the United States are generally poor, have large families to support on minimal income, live in cramped quarters, maintain limited proficiency in our national language of English and struggle to identify with our mostly English-speaking, multi-generational, black-and-white Protestant culture, I cannot - for the life of me - imagine that they are generally happier or well-adjusted than your average black or white American.
This is pretty racist if you ask me. Latinos don't place value on education or achievement? REALLY? I'm Latino and was raised to work very hard. Master's Degree from Johns Hopkins, Phi Beta Kappa, summa *** laude, Top 1% of my graduating class (which was 80% White), 8 internships leading to a job in one of the most renown institutions on Earth. I've worked very hard for what I have. Even moreso for Latinos since we're generally raised poor and don't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths like many of my non-Hispanic suburban peers.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Latinos on the whole are very happy and optimistic people.

Gallup actually does a poll that asks people in every country to rank their state of well-being. Latino countries always do very well. Wealth does NOT equal happiness, so it seems odd to peddle the "but Latinos are poorer than Whites so they're obviously more unhappy" shtick I've seen posted in this thread.

Not only that but Hispanics live longer than Blacks and Whites, and life expectancy is strong correlated with stress, mental anguish, anxiety, depression, despair, etc. White life expectancy among some groups (especially the White working class) is declining, and a lot of it is mental and social despair.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:21 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Latinos on the whole are very happy and optimistic people.

Gallup actually does a poll that asks people in every country to rank their state of well-being. Latino countries always do very well. Wealth does NOT equal happiness, so it seems odd to peddle the "but Latinos are poorer than Whites so they're obviously more unhappy" shtick I've seen posted in this thread.

Not only that but Hispanics live longer than Blacks and Whites, and life expectancy is strong correlated with stress, mental anguish, anxiety, depression, despair, etc. White life expectancy among some groups (especially the White working class) is declining, and a lot of it is mental and social despair.
False.
For one Hispanic cannot be compared to blacks, because there are hispanic that are black.
In those countries that are allegedly latin america blacks, whites exist there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.