U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM

824 posts, read 1,462,207 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing and reading about these two generic characters, the "angry white man", and the "black with an attitude".

But I've never heard stuff like " latino enojado ", or something.

I know it can not be generalized, and each case if different, but would you say the Latino population is more relaxed and laid back than their White and Black fellows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:33 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,141,532 times
They're probably happier than the average white person. They stronger family values, and are better connected to their families.

Black and white Americans are much more distant from their family. And the families in black and white communities isn't nearly as strong. People who come from a strong family background tend to be happier. Probably because they feel they have support, and in without family you're likely to feel you're in it for yourself. So I think Latinos are amongst the happiest demographic in the US

Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,075 times
Definitely.
I only dated / married Latina women. Its a happy, laid back and carefree culture, overall.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM

634 posts, read 1,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
They're probably happier than the average white person. They stronger family values, and are better connected to their families.

Black and white Americans are much more distant from their family. And the families in black and white communities isn't nearly as strong. People who come from a strong family background tend to be happier. Probably because they feel they have support, and in without family you're likely to feel you're in it for yourself. So I think Latinos are amongst the happiest demographic in the US
you said exactly what I was going to say. As a black American I value the strength of Latin family values. So close and they work together. We joke about them having 8 people in a two bedroom house, but at the end of the day bills are paid and money is saved. They don't down each other like black people do. Awesome topic!!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,033,050 times
Too broad to generalize this by color. There's no one latino culture, there's not even one Mexican American culture, but many. Same for black and white people.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Too broad to generalize this by color. There's no one latino culture, there's not even one Mexican American culture, but many. Same for black and white people.

There is definitely a shared culture between whites and blacks in America. And there is a shared latino culture in latin America. Plus the question was concerning the latino American experience in the USA, where such small subtitlties in the latino culture fails to matter. In America blacks and whites act pretty much the same, except for small differences.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 PM

607 posts, read 1,092,196 times
I'm not sure if they're "happier," but they certainly have different cultures. For one, they put more emphasis on family values (along with Asians).

Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 PM

7,558 posts, read 2,428,887 times
Not sure...perhaps it is true for white and black americans.

My family seems a bit more relaxed/laid back than my husband's family (Latino) in certain ways, but then my family is from the Caribbean so...

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
We joke about them having 8 people in a two bedroom house, but at the end of the day bills are paid and money is saved. They don't down each other like black people do.
And they don't kick anybody out the door at 18 and say "call me when you're gainfully employed" like white people do.

Asian families are tight too. Oftentimes sons and daughters live with their parents until they're married. I think the tightness of the families comes from being immigrants, because many of the families of white European immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries stuck together as well. For blacks it's different, though, because they're the only race/ethnicity who didn't come to the United States voluntarily. That had to play havoc with family structures, and it probably explains why there's an all-encompassing "community" focus because they eventually realized that they were all in the same situation because of their race, and they only had each other to depend on regardless of whether they were related or not.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,237 times
I am Latina, so I think I can give you an insight from our way of living. Usually we live together or at least close enough to go to our parents home at any time. I lived with my parents until I got married, my parents did not kicked me out when I turned 18. My brothers and I lived really near our parents like 5-10 minutes away and we visit them almost every day. We kindly removed our mom from work and drive and we take her to all of her appointments. On the other hand, we are really loud, we scream to each other all the time and doing that we vent our frustrations, but at the end of the day we love each other so much that scream each other only help to strengthened our relationship. Sound crazy, but it really works!! We make a party for everything, loud music, a lot of food, and we welcome everyone. Sure, we worried for money like everybody else, but it is not our priority. Hopefully, I was able to explain why we are a little more happier!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.