Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,982,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
For Houston, you don't even have to go that far.

Listen to a black person from H-town, then a black person from New Orleans... they sound different.
Listen to a black person from Houston, then a black person from Dallas, even... THEY sound different, and they're in the same state.

I know those are all southern accents, but the point I'M making is that we don't all sound the same...
Kind of how White people from those cities sound different, too.

I personally think Iggy Azalea is a good example of a Black sounding White woman. Same case is with Paul Wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 04:54 PM

28,563 posts, read 18,563,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think his voice sounds different from White British actors (i.e., Andrew Lincoln, Dominic West, Hugh Grant). The same goes for Dizzee Rascal, Chipmunk, Donae'o, Estelle, or Chiwetel Ejiofor. The timbre of their voices is different. Then again, if some of you think Rick Astley sounds like a Black person, then there's really no point in having this conversation. It may just be one of those things only Black people pick up on...like clapping on the second and fourth beats.
A number of black people have confused me for white over the phone, including my mother-in-law when I first spoke to her.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
1. I don't take anecdotal claims made on the internet seriously ("I live in Denver and all of my co-workers are Italian, Puerto Rican and Jewish!")
I missed where you provided anything different.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 PM

31,882 posts, read 34,379,372 times
Interesting.

Quote:
This study investigated the measures of central tendency (mean mode) and dispersion (standard deviations and ranges) of the reading fundamental vocal frequency in young black adults. The subjects were 200 (100 males/100 females) college student volunteers whose ages ranged from 18 to 29 years. A fundamental frequency analyzer (FLORIDA I) was used to measure the fundamental vocal frequency. The mean modal fundamental vocal frequency for males was 110.15 Hz, with a mean range from 81.95 Hz to 158.50 Hz. The mean modal fundamental vocal frequency for females was 193.10 Hz, with a mean range from 139.05 Hz to 266.10 Hz. The males showed a slightly greater range expressed in tones than did the females. Compared to a similar white population studied by Fitch & Holbrook (1970), the black population had lower mean modal fundamental vocal frequencies and greater mean frequency ranges. Fitch's white subjects showed a greater range below the mean mode than above it. This behavior was reversed for the black subjects of the present study. Such patterns of vocal behavior may be important clues which alert the listener to the speaker's racial identity.
A study of the reading fundamental vocal f... [J Speech Hear Res. 1981] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Unmistakably Black vocal timbre.

Marvin Gaye - Lets get it on - YouTube

Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Unmistakably Black.

James Brown - SUPER BAD !full length! - YouTube

Old 10-08-2014, 06:42 PM

I'm not surprised that range of tones was slightly greater among black college youth compared to white youth of 40 years ago. I suspect if they were compared to modern white college youth, the difference would be much less.

I also suspect that if you compared southern whites then or today with blacks the results would be similar--southern whites also speak with a noticeably wider frequency range than most non-ethnic northern whites (I'd also note that the white college population of 40 years ago was itself much less ethnic).

If you compared older blacks and whites--no longer callow youths--you will find less of a deviation in comparable professional situations.

And please...don't measure the Chinese for range of frequency.

But all of this is a matter of accent--regional and ethnic speech patterns--not genetics.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:03 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
We got our accent from Africa first, then America after we learned how to speak English, so it depends where in America we are from how we will sound. Most of us naturally speak broken English and learn proper English later, unless we grow up in a household where our parents speak proper English only. Blacks who speak proper English 24/7 is obviously not the majority and that's why we sound the way we do too, plus the simple fact that it was against the law for us to read the language for about 200 years. It's not easy going everywhere speaking proper English all the time if that's not the way you were raised. That's why some white people have a hard time understanding what we say.
No we didn't. Our accent is straight up American.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I agree. I can almost always tell a black person just listening to the voice and words spoken. To me it is very easy to distinguish a black persons voice.
As could I. Never could mistake a Black persons voice from a White person. That's me though.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Kind of how White people from those cities sound different, too.

I personally think Iggy Azalea is a good example of a Black sounding White woman. Same case is with Paul Wall.
I will admit. Back in the day for swishahouse in the late 90s, everybody thought Paul Wall was Black. We were surprised when we saw his face. He grew up around them so maybe it's a product of where you grow up. That said, it's still rare to my ears. Living in DC, I've yet to hear a native white Washingtonian sound like a native black Washingtonian. In fact, I hear someone coming around the corner and he was talking, I can easily tell if the person is black or white in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.