Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times

Advertisements

I agree with STLouisan that Missouri does indeed rep all regions of America. It is literally the crossroads of the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
California comes closest. You'll find every climate, every terrain type, and every density type. Mountains, ocean, desert, temperate rain forest, flat farmland, pine forests, open hilly areas with oaks, wine country, flat warm beaches and cool rocky coastline, hot and dry places as well as snowy cold places. High density urban areas to very rural. It almost has everything.
California has nothing that resembles the Northeast or South.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
California has nothing that resembles the Northeast or South.
San Francisco does resemble a Northeastern city in layout, and people in San Joaquin valley and Blacks speak in Southernish accents. There's a little bit of all of the US in California.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
I don't think any state represents ALL regions of America. However, the one state that I believe represents more regions than any other state would be Ohio or Pennsylvania. These two states blend the Northeast, Midwest and South pretty well.
There's nothing Southern about Pennsylvania. If there was, then I would never have experienced the degree of culture shock that I did when I moved to Georgia. And don't even bring up Confederate flags; I've seen them in California and Nevada before, and nobody would ever suggest that those states have a Southern influence in their cultures. Until Pennsylvania has even one county that's plurality Baptist, or any territory at all that's south of the "sweet tea line," then it's not Southern, period.

By the way, I'd say Missouri is the best representation of all four regions. The state is largely Midwestern, with a Northeastern exclave in St. Louis, Southern influence across the southern tier of the state, and more of an open, Western feel as you go west.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
California comes closest. You'll find every climate, every terrain type, and every density type. Mountains, ocean, desert, temperate rain forest, flat farmland, pine forests, open hilly areas with oaks, wine country, flat warm beaches and cool rocky coastline, hot and dry places as well as snowy cold places. High density urban areas to very rural. It almost has everything.
California doesn't really have seasons. Much of America has a 4 season climate. Way up in the mountains there is snow, but not in the areas where most people live, and certainly most people do not associate "snow" with "California".

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
There's nothing Southern about Pennsylvania. If there was, then I would never have experienced the degree of culture shock that I did when I moved to Georgia. And don't even bring up Confederate flags; I've seen them in California and Nevada before, and nobody would ever suggest that those states have a Southern influence in their cultures. Until Pennsylvania has even one county that's plurality Baptist, or any territory at all that's south of the "sweet tea line," then it's not Southern, period.

By the way, I'd say Missouri is the best representation of all four regions. The state is largely Midwestern, with a Northeastern exclave in St. Louis, Southern influence across the southern tier of the state, and more of an open, Western feel as you go west.
I guess. I mean, I could see MO having a significant Midwestern and southern blend, but saying that it has a hint of Northeastern or Western representation is stretching it. How the hell can you say that it represents the Northeast when the states immediately to the northeast of MO, such as Kentucky don't even feel northeastern at all?!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
I guess. I mean, I could see MO having a significant Midwestern and southern blend, but saying that it has a hint of Northeastern or Western representation is stretching it. How the hell can you say that it represents the Northeast when the states immediately to the northeast of MO, such as Kentucky don't even feel northeastern at all?!
First of all, Kentucky is not northeast of Missouri; it's southeast. Second of all, St. Louis was developed very much like a Northeastern city.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I agree with STLouisan that Missouri does indeed rep all regions of America. It is literally the crossroads of the nation.
How does Missouri represent South Florida, Pacific Northwest and New England?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
First of all, Kentucky is not northeast of Missouri; it's southeast. Second of all, St. Louis was developed very much like a Northeastern city.
Not really. Ky does not extend as far north as MO, but it is no farther south.

United States | USA maps, flags, geography, population & statistics — Infoplease.com

Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM

109 posts, read 128,287 times
In terms of culture, any swing state. Probably florida and ohio represent all U.S cultures, i don't know about geography though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.