Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 03:18 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,543,287 times

Advertisements

And most of the best architecture in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM

15,935 posts, read 20,899,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
West Palm Beach blows, if you ask me.

- High COL
- High stress level
- Very bad traffic
- Horrible job market/economy
- Hurricane season
- Expensive homeowner's insurance
- Barely any natural, open space due to overdevelopment
- Tourists
- Boring climate; summer all year round...how freekin' boring
- Crowded in general
- Tacky, fake women with no brains

Need I go on? You can keep South FL. Give me somewhere with variety in weather, intelligent women and a heck of a lot more room to breathe than West Palm Beach.
So in an earlier post a high COL shows how desirable it is but elsewhere that same factor is a negative?
The Northeast is dense, which is good, but elsewhere is 'crowded' which is bad?
northeast=megalopolis=good and elsewhere=overcrowding=bad?
Maybe a little consistency would help, if you're trying to make a point.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,897,358 times
Quote:
Cuban...Hispanic...whatever. They all speak Spanish.
How "truly progressive" of you, Mr. inhabitant of America's front door! You're so worldly, I think I will run back to the parochial ol' flat-and-boring Cincinnati with my tail between my legs.

This thread is so stereotypical of the coastal smug-and-ignorant elitism I encounter all the time in this hideous state.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
This is such a ridiculous thread...the Northeast is the best depending on one's opinion. Anybody who says that "my region is the best, and I can name reasons why it is beyond debate the best and make my opinion fact" needs to realize that their opinion is just that: their opinion.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,205,621 times
Quote:
The west is very dry and brown looking and doesn't feel lush and full of life. Nothing in the West has what the Northeast has. The Northeast has high density deciduous forest. The forest out West is coniferous, which isn't as nice to look at IMO.
If only I cost pictures to prove you wrong. The west is 10 times the size of the northeast. You have such a large diversity and you are just using dam steryotypes to fulfill your inflated ego. There is no geographical feature the west doesn't have. Even the deserts are interesting with their large oasises, mountains and rock formations rising out the desert. The southwest might by dry and brown looking but that is certainly not the entire west. If that were true then the west would be practically dead with almost nobody living there

Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
If only I cost pictures to prove you wrong. The west is 10 times the size of the northeast. You have such a large diversity and you are just using dam steryotypes to fulfill your inflated ego. There is no geographical feature the west doesn't have. Even the deserts are interesting with their large oasises, mountains and rock formations rising out the desert. The southwest might by dry and brown looking but that is certainly not the entire west. If that were true then the west would be practically dead with almost nobody living there
The West has no deciduous forests with a humid continental climate whatsoever (such as New York). Nor does it have a subtropical climate anywhere to speak of (such as Florida). Largely, the West is rather drab, dry and brownish. Largely, the East is rather vibrant, lush and green.

I'm not saying the west isn't beautiful, because it is. But IMO it's just not as nice as the east coast. In the West, the air is too dry, which is horrible for my skin and contact lenses. And the entire region in general feels like your on Mars instead of Earth. No thanks!!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,799,792 times
Quote:
The West has no deciduous forests with a humid continental climate whatsoever (such as New York). Nor does it have a subtropical climate anywhere to speak of (such as Florida). Largely, the West is rather drab, dry and brownish. Largely, the East is rather vibrant, lush and green.
So what? The NE doesn't have a Highland (Alpine) climate, Steppe climate, desert climate, Marine West Coast climate, nor a Meditteranean climate. IIRC, the PNW has a very tiny deciduous forests around. But we have plenty other trees. *shrugs*

I don't know why you insist that the West is drab, dry and brownish. My home state of Washington has a rainforest! Seattle is only "dry" for what? 40 days or whatever and its very green. So green the nickname is "Emerald City".

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,528,245 times
If I thought the northeast was the best region I would live there, but I don't, so...

Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,897,358 times

Old 02-26-2013, 07:04 AM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:

I'm not saying the west isn't beautiful, because it is. But IMO it's just not as nice as the east coast. In the West, the air is too dry, which is horrible for my skin and contact lenses. And the entire region in general feels like your on Mars instead of Earth. No thanks!!
No we just have a lot more variety of beautiful and impressive scenery instead. No where back east do you find abrubt changes in environment, vegetation, colors, and scenery from one hour to the next like you do out West. From New England to the Carolinas it's the same consistant rolling hills from the Appalachians leveling out to coastal lowlands and the vegetation looks mostly the same, give or take a few moderate variations. Also so much of the forest of it is so thick it's hard to see the horizon over there, so our sunsets are better as well. We have pockets of lush greenery out west, mixed with a whole lot of other interesting scenery to look at. No comparison in my opinion. I'll take the dry climates as well, consistant sunshine makes me a lot happier and the Rio Grande bosque forest with the beautiful cottonwood forest feels like a long way from Mars to me, and the desert scapes are awesome, the raw earth is incredibly colorful and fascinating with it's rock formations, and the mountains peaks are equally as stunning.

Quote:
T Largely, the East is rather vibrant, lush and green.
Except for about half the year.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/miguelv...n/photostream/

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-26-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.