Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
There are evergreens throughout the northeast; from tall hardy pines in the coastal plain to coniferous and alpine forests in New England; many of these are mixed in with the deciduous forests. Also many shrubs and bushes keep their leaves year-round and not all grass types go dormant.

Again, I don't agree with the OP's stating that the NE is the "Best" region in the US; but I do think it gets negatively stereotyped, judged, and borderline hated on by many people. Obviously this can be said for any region. If the thread had been titled "13 reasons why I love the northeast" or "13 reasons why the northeast is a great region" I don't think the response would be so negative/defensive.
Well like I said, most of my thirteen points are factual; not opinion. The only ones that are opinionated are #5, 6 and 8. But for some reason, stupid people on City-Data have painted it as an opinion thread, which it really is NOT, except for those three points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
1,2,3 = You assume its best, fine. But not everyone cares about these points. So it falls under opinion.

4. Plenty of rural open land out west-- in fact we have more.

5, 6 = I don't dispute that the 4 seasons are beautiful. And again, it's subjective. As it is, I personally prefer our arid parts and prefer their style of seasons.

7. Yes... its best when you can afford it.

8. Again, there are people who don't care about these points. I never even heard of Wegman's, so I don't know why its even rated #1.

9. Your point already been disputed earlier.

10. Come to the WA, we have that live and let live mentality and gay marriages as well.

11. Can't dispute the history, but other places have their own histories as well. HIP = "Celebrities live there and it doesn't feel backward" Are we talking about LA area?

12. "Appears natural and real"... Hmm

13. Pretty much applies everywhere, actually.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
1,2,3 = You assume its best, fine. But not everyone cares about these points. So it falls under opinion.

4. Plenty of rural open land out west-- in fact we have more.

5, 6 = I don't dispute that the 4 seasons are beautiful. And again, it's subjective. As it is, I personally prefer our arid parts and prefer their style of seasons.

7. Yes... its best when you can afford it.

8. Again, there are people who don't care about these points. I never even heard of Wegman's, so I don't know why its even rated #1.

9. Your point already been disputed earlier.

10. Come to the WA, we have that live and let live mentality and gay marriages as well.

11. Can't dispute the history, but other places have their own histories as well. HIP = "Celebrities live there and it doesn't feel backward" Are we talking about LA area?

12. "Appears natural and real"... Hmm

13. Pretty much applies everywhere, actually.
Much of the West is conservative and wouldn't allow gay marriages. Most Northeastern states legalized it YEARS ago.

Furthermore, you fail to look at my 13 points in an aggregate manner. There is no other region in the country that satisfies all 13 of my points cohesively. Sure, certain other regions may share certain points here and there, but not all 13 simultaneously.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
There are evergreens throughout the northeast; from tall hardy pines in the coastal plain to coniferous and alpine forests in New England; many of these are mixed in with the deciduous forests. Also many shrubs and bushes keep their leaves year-round and not all grass types go dormant.
No one is denying there are evergreen trees througout the Northeast but simply not on the level of the Western US. There is a reason fall in the Northeast is considered some of the best, because of the colors all those deciduous trees show before they go dormant and dead looking for winter. Go to Washington state, aka the EVERGREEN state, then try to tell me the Northeast is remotely comparable. I just took my dog for a walk throughout my neighborhood and there are tall green Redwoods everywhere and grass that can't get any greener right now.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 AM

225 posts, read 352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No one is denying there are evergreen trees througout the Northeast but simply not on the level of the Western US. There is a reason fall in the Northeast is considered some of the best, because of the colors all those deciduous trees show before they go dormant and dead looking for winter. Go to Washington state, aka the EVERGREEN state, then try to tell me the Northeast is remotely comparable. I just took my dog for a walk throughout my neighborhood and there are tall green Redwoods everywhere and grass that can't get any greener right now.
In the evergreen scenery debate I don't think the Northeast would win but to imply that it can't even compete is ridiculous. Case in point, the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, which is home to a lot of very rare evergreen species. It was the very first national reserve in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_(New_Jersey)

Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Much of the West is conservative and wouldn't allow gay marriages. Most Northeastern states legalized it YEARS ago.

Furthermore, you fail to look at my 13 points in an aggregate manner. There is no other region in the country that satisfies all 13 of my points cohesively. Sure, certain other regions may share certain points here and there, but not all 13 simultaneously.
See, now you're just changing the rules. This is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Actually, all of my 13 points are FACT, except for #5, #6 and #8. The other ten points can be backed up by statistical data or qualitative reasoning; the bolded font sentences are true statements. So it's not really an objective post, if you ask me. I dare anyone to challenge me on those 10 assertions in my original post.
Its not even 10 assertions that needs to be challenged. #1, #2, #3 and #8 needs to be thrown out because it falls under Opinion; You assumed everyone cares about these points (after all, you're the one that filed it under "Its best because of..."). Lots of cities not in the NE offer "great excellent restaurants of all sorts of cultures and ethnicities" and performing arts. Oh, did you mean in quantity (which wasn't presented in your assertion)?

So... that leaves =

4.) Which goes to the West just for the sheer amount and variety.
7.) I guess this edge could go to the NE; but really, it's the wealthy everywhere that truly benefits from this
9.) [Point already disputed by another poster.] I will use this link to prove for the JOB/ECONOMY in places NOT the NE: Unemployment Rates for States
10.) I guess on gov't level this could go to NE. Congrats.
11.) Already mentioned, every places have their own history, architecture, and landmarks. The HIP part was just dumb.
12.) "Natural and Real"... We obviously have different views on what defines "natural/real"... So subjective?
13.) Points for everywhere. Crime is at its lowest since the end of WWII.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 AM

8 posts, read 11,321 times
I know here in Western PA, many farmers did very well this season becuase of high crop prices from the drought and much of the crops here were considered in good or excellent condition.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:41 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
No one is denying there are evergreen trees througout the Northeast but simply not on the level of the Western US. ... Go to Washington state, aka the EVERGREEN state, then try to tell me the Northeast is remotely comparable.
But isn't only the western 1/3rd or so of Washington state evergreen? Most of the western U.S. hardly has many trees at all from what I've seen. Whereas almost the entire east coast is lush and green for about 7 months of the year and has changing colors for another month.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 02-27-2013 at 01:51 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But isn't only the western 1/3rd or so of Washington state evergreen? Most of the western U.S. hardly has many trees at all from what I've seen. Whereas almost the entire east coast is lush and green for about 7 months of the year and has changing colors for another month.
Well that Western 1/3 of Washington is a temperate rain forest that extends from Northern California all the way to the panhandle of Alaska so in terms of size it's certainly no slouch. It also sustains a lot more year round greenery than any forest back east. And as to the topography in the rest of Washington with semi-arid, agricultural, and mountainous regions, well that just adds to the appeal out here. There isn't anywhere in the East that offers that kind of topographical and climate variety. Even in Arizona one can drive from warm desert valleys and sauguaro cactus covered hills around Phoenix to cool, alpine, ponderosa forests up around Flagstaff in a matter of two hours, and then reach the Grand Canyon and spectacular red rock scenery of the Colorado Plateau just beyond that. Also, you can see more of the horizon out here so the West has much better sunsets.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-27-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:

Actually, in northern New England, it's the best of both worlds. Mixed forest of deciduous and evergreen. There are plenty of evergreens to keep things "green" year-round, but also the deciduous trees to give New England some of the best fall foliage in the world. Those forests in New England are about as beautiful as a forest can get.

So, in reality, it's the Pacific NW that can't compete with the evergreen forests in the Northeast.

Last edited by michigan83; 02-27-2013 at 06:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.