Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 03:47 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,107,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
.......Having that said, as someone who has very limited experience in the Northeast (I was in D.C. for a week, that's about it), I have a strong interest in possibly moving there (temporarily, for life experience). My main concern is that I can't think of nor have heard of any major city in the Northeast that matches metros like Seattle, Portland, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles as urban places that are intrinsically intertwined with their environment (they all also have cultures that promote the outdoors as an essential part of their 'city' experience). For those who have experience both with the aforementioned cities and the Northeast region, are there any metros in the Northeast that a city dwelling wilderness lover like myself should consider researching? Or, should I abandon my mindset/my needs and take a different approach? The only city in that region that I have heard great things about in terms of both an amazing urban culture, and connection to the outdoors is Montreal...but, that's in Canada. :P
Fantastic post.

I guess your best bet is Boston, which is not intertwined much with nature but has easy access to some very nice places. It's easy to get to Vermont, NH, and maine. The Berkshires in Western MA are interesting and intriguing. Far northern NY is just a little further with lakes and Adirondacks, and of course Canada is not so far away either.

Boston itself is cool, lots more openly intellectual than Seattle, zillions of high-powered universities and quaint bookstores. Great open-air markets, a good place for foodies. Authentic Irish pubs and dives. History, museums, culture, etc - though who spends much time on those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 11:50 AM

251 posts, read 305,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Fantastic post.

I guess your best bet is Boston, which is not intertwined much with nature but has easy access to some very nice places. It's easy to get to Vermont, NH, and maine. The Berkshires in Western MA are interesting and intriguing. Far northern NY is just a little further with lakes and Adirondacks, and of course Canada is not so far away either.

Boston itself is cool, lots more openly intellectual than Seattle, zillions of high-powered universities and quaint bookstores. Great open-air markets, a good place for foodies. Authentic Irish pubs and dives. History, museums, culture, etc - though who spends much time on those?

As a Northeasterner id say they're all equally appealing in that regard.

Boston, NYC, Philly and DC are all close enough to the same stuff and same coast.

Its very green in and around all of them, and its the same deciduous type of vibrant leafy green, which is why many probably think they're all so alike. They're old, colonial, historical, dense, walkable, diverse, and the same deciduous surroundings.

However, they all really do have their own distinct feel and culture to them as well.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:52 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,577,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My point is, that even though in the East everything looks brown and dead, it's still worth surviving through the winter to see the best possible greenery that the U.S. has to offer during the summer. Summer greenery in the east is better than any greenery anywhere else in the U.S. at any point in time during the year.
Being from the upper Midwest, I disagree with this notion that the east has the "best possible greenery". But I am sure you'll let me know how wrong I am.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:11 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,514,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
She's moving to Florida in March. She just sold her condo (El Cortez building) in downtown SD and is building a house in Winter Park, FL. They can't wait.

I have traveled through I-8, spent 5 days in the SD area, with a brief trip up to LA, as well as the Inland Empire.

I'm not saying it's BROWN like Arizona or Nevada. It's mixed green and brown. There is plenty of vegetation, BUT it's not in the same league as the east coast, which has virtually no brown.
CA has every single type of scenery you can imagine, even SoCal has a ton. Name me another state (or even an entire region) you can go from an ocean, to a desert, to a mountain lake and/or snow to farmland in one day? I can here and none are further than 2 hours from my home. Expand it to all of CA and there is not a type of scenery or type of weather you will not see here.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,885,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
CA has every single type of scenery you can imagine, even SoCal has a ton. Name me another state (or even an entire region) you can go from an ocean, to a desert, to a mountain lake and/or snow to farmland in one day? I can here and none are further than 2 hours from my home. Expand it to all of CA and there is not a type of scenery or type of weather you will not see here.
California is a huge state, it's not surprising. It's impressive until you realize the size of California. Many Northeatern states pack quite a punch in diversity considering their sizes. Of that list, all we DON'T have in New Jersey is a desert. And traveling the entire state of NJ in just a few hours is possible. You can go from the nation's oldest seaside resort town at NJ's southern tip (Cape May) to High Point State Park, NJ's highest point of elevation in the NW corner (the Appalachian Trail runs through this area of NJ) which is also near the Delaware Water Gap, a beautiful mountainous national recreation area, in just a few hours.

For a small state, that's not so bad.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Today it was 75 degrees out and I went for a drive with the top down, then I went for a hike and watched the sunset on the beach. If I want world class snow I can get to it in a couple hour drive (snow that beats anything in the East). Screw having "four seasons" I'll take coastal California.
Now we're resorting to "our snow is better than yours!" Ugh.

Yet you say "screw having four seasons" so then does it matter who has better snow??

Also… "world class snow." That's a new one! Do they have rankings for that?? Point me in the direction to that website. Alpha++ snow, anyone? The New York City equivalent of snow!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
California is a huge state, it's not surprising. It's impressive until you realize the size of California. Many Northeatern states pack quite a punch in diversity considering their sizes.
Except that's true in a number of smaller sized portions of California — an area the size of NY State or smaller might have all mbell75 listed. California has higher mountains than NJ almost next to the ocean within 25 miles of a large city.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,776,189 times
I don't think geographical diversity necessarily has anything to do with size.

And yeah, since when was snow classified?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Fantastic post.

Agreed. I think Boston has a slightly more outdoor oriented culture (the AMC has an office downtown, for example) than the other big northeastern cities. And it's closer to tall mountains (for eastern standards) than any of the other big Northeastern cities (2.5-3 hour drive to the Whites). Then there's the Maine coast and Vermont.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
I don't think geographical diversity necessarily has anything to do with size
How does it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.