Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
A lot of subjective statements.

There re some good things about the northeast. Their mass transit and urban cores are something that I would love for the Texas Triangle to to have (thought that will never happen for multiple reasons).

But as far as socially,I much prefer the down to earth attitude of people in other parts of the country rather than the arrogant, snobbish, pseudo-intellectual behavior of many in the north east (of course I know that there are many northeasterners who are not like that).

I love visiting that part of the country. But I don't think I could live there.
I spent time in Austin, TX and couldn't stand it. The whole area has a hipster, liberal vibe and too many people don't even speak English. It's also a very isolated area, as you have to drive a few hours just to get to Houston or Dallas. I could never live there. Plus, the traffic is unbelievably bad. Also, Texas cops will pull you over just for going 10% over the speed limit. I got a speeding ticket on I-10 for going 83 in a 75 mph zone, which is stupid.

Also, it's a ridiculous generalization to say that the average Northeastern person is arrogant, snobbish or elitist. Sure, those people exist, but many people are friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM

15,961 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, the cost of living is the highest in the Northeast compared to any other region. Therefore, it must be the most desirable region to live in. I think we can all agree that this is an objective way to end this debate. It's simple economics of supply and demand. The demand to live in the Northeast is so high, that prices increase.
Just because some designer slaps a label on a pair of shoes, a purse, a shirt, whatever, charges 10 x the going rate and does a fine job of marketing does not necessarily mean whatever they are selling is of better quality than a similar item without all the hype. You are paying for a brand, not strictly for quality.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,013 times
Quote:
I spent time in Austin, TX and couldn't stand it. The whole area has a hipster, liberal vibe and too many people don't even speak English. It's also a very isolated area, as you have to drive a few hours just to get to Houston or Dallas. I could never live there. Plus, the traffic is unbelievably bad. Also, Texas cops will pull you over just for going 10% over the speed limit. I got a speeding ticket on I-10 for going 83 in a 75 mph zone, which is stupid.

Yes, Austin traffic is bad. Yes, Texas cops pull you over. But Austin actually isn't all that hipster outside of the core. Espescially not in the burbs. Also, I've sent my entire life in Austin and have never found myself in a situation where I couldn't speak English. I bet if you were talking about the northeast that would probably be counted as diversity.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Quote:
14. It's the premiere gateway to America. It's where most immigrants come to start a new life in America. The gateway to the free world.
In other words you've never been to Los Angeles, Miami, or Houston (and if you have you didn't pick up on a whole lot), nor are you even remotely aware of the diversity and immigration trends of America in the 21st century.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

7,469 posts, read 6,189,034 times
Quote:
I have traveled all regions of the U.S. extensively and have come to the conclusion that the Northeast is hands down the best region in the country, followed by the South, then the West, then the Midwest. I used to be a hater, but now I believe that it is the "hardest region to beat." Here's why...

1. It's well established and fully developed. The infrastructure is by far the best in the nation. It's comprehensive and complete, with the most public transportation options, and the most interstate highways available between cities, and the best airport travel options. The electric and communications network is very intricate, although natural gas is still in development. Growth is now at a manageable level, because the region has reached maturity, and I think that's a good thing. In other words, self actualization has been achieved for the region. Other areas, such as California and the South still feel like they are under development and expansion is occurring.

2. It has a complete megalopolis. The 400-mile stretch between Boston and Washington is completely developed, with numerous cities and suburbs in between, offering an unparalleled amount of amenities, infrastructure and business activity. There are several other megalopolises in development elsewhere in the nation, but they're no where near the same league as this Boston-to-Washington one. Southern CA is still far behind, and other ones, such as the Piedmont and Texas Triangle are still growing and have a very long way to go.

3. It has three world class cities. New York, Philadelphia and Boston. And they're all easily drivable (or passenger trained) between each other. And they are truly world class, global cities that have a unique feel to each, with tons of American history, culture and unbelievable architecture.

4. It has plenty of untouched, rural land. Despite being a heavily populated region, there is still LOTS of rural open space available in all nine states.

5. It has the best of all four seasons. It features a real winter, complete with snow, a fully transitional spring and fall, and a full 3-month summer that's plenty of heat and humidity for swimming in the pool and going to the beach. Any seasonal sport or activity can be done here. Autumn is the best in the nation and offers extremely vibrant colors, as well as the spring colors. Oh, and snowstorms aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. We may not like all four seasons as a personal preference, but the weather pattern NEVER gets boring or old.

6. The scenery is simply beautiful. Mountains, beaches, wetlands, rolling hills, plains, lakes, and plenty of greenery makes the region feel very full of life. Compare that with the Midwest, which is flat and boring. Or the West, which is dry and brown looking....yuck! The coast of Maine is stunning, as well as the Adirondack and Berkshire mountain chains. The forest is also the deciduous type...with bright leafy green leaves; not the drab dark green you would find in northern CA, for example.

7. Healthcare and education is the best. None of the northeastern states rank high with obesity levels, and all of them rank high with educational attainment! The northeast is home to the best performing universities in the nation and exhibit the highest standards in learning curriculum (e.g., Harvard, Yale, NYU, MIT, etc.). All types of healthcare facilities are available within a reasonable drive wherever you live, unless you're in a very remote area.

8. The food, entertainment and cultural options are the best. You are always within driving or walking distance of excellent restaurants of all sorts of cultures and ethnicities. The performing arts are present in all cities as well. It's just the norm. And the #1 rated grocery store in the nation - Wegman's - is headquartered and has locations in NY, PA and NJ.

9. The job market and economy is relatively stable and strong. Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Pennsylvania have lower unemployment rates than most other states in the rest of the nation. And the housing market wasn't hit as hard as the rest of the nation, which is great for home owners. And the jobs definitely pay the highest in the country!

10. A truly progressive, "live and let live" mentality and political climate. No one really cares about which church you attend, who you sleep with in your bedroom, what you do with your fetus or anything of that nature. For example, five of the nine states that legalized gay marriage are located in the Northeast, and a long time ago at that. It's sad, that the rest of the nation is still debating such a no-brainer issue as this. The radio station air space is not overrun by religious broadcasts, either. And you won't see those tacky huge crucifixes on the side of the highway, either. The people are also real and say what they mean, and they're not nearly as fake as southern CA people can be. It's a "cut to the chase; no BS, Donald Trump mentality."

11. It's old school and hip at the same time. The region has preserved its history very well, with plenty of beautiful old construction buildings and homes, while also offering plenty of new construction as well. It's also hip, because many celebrities live there and it just doesn't feel "backwards" in any way whatsoever. It's a good blend.

12. The zoning appears natural and real. There is no where in the Northeast where you will find boring grid street patterns that go for miles and miles with no end (except NYC). All of the neighborhoods, towns, roadways and development look as if they were developed naturally over time. In the rest of the nation, too many cities appear as if they were carefully planned, giving them a boring design and layout, which makes the place feel sterile and bland. The saddest part is that all of those "planned" cities still have HORRIBLE traffic! And the housing in the Northeast is just full of character and finesse. Not overdone with boring, cheaply built tract housing all over the place. And chain restaurants and fast food are kept to a minimum.

13. Crime rates are very low. With the exception of certain cities here and there (e.g., Hartford, Newark, Camden, etc.), the vast majority of towns, and even some cities, have safe, low crime rates.

So now I understand why the cost of living is so high in the Northeast. It's about supply and demand. You get what you pay for. The rest of the nation is still experiencing growth and development, which results in boring looking cities, neighborhood developments, mediocre school systems, boring weather that stays the same all year round, and high crime rates in more cities and towns, with less culture and economic might.
I totally agree with you. Please spread the word.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In other words you've never been to Los Angeles, Miami, or Houston.
I've been to all three within the past two months.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
In other words you've never been to Los Angeles, Miami, or Houston (and if you have you didn't pick up on a whole lot), nor are you even remotely aware of the diversity and immigration trends of America in the 21st century.
New York is the gateway for all types of people. LA is for Asian and Mexican immigrants. Houston is for Mexican immigrants. Miami is for Cuban immigrants.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I totally agree with you. Please spread the word.
Thanks! What people don't see on here, is that I'm receiving a LOT of reputation points for this thread!

Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Quote:
New York is the gateway for all types of people. LA is for Asian and Mexican immigrants. Houston is for Mexican immigrants. Miami is for Cuban immigrants.
OMG really? Are you that uninformed? Seriously you are embarassing yourself with your ignorrance. A quick google search on the topic will quickly show you, you have know idea what you're talking about.

Get around LA a bit more and it's not hard to see that the city is a gateway for every corner of the world, and has neighborhoods like Little Ethiopia, and a large Iranian community just to name a few beyond your limited knowledge of what suposedly is only Mexicans and Asians.

Miami is a gateway to all of Latin America (way beyond just Cuba). Ever here of places like Venezuela, Haiti, Columbia to name a few?

Houston has a very large demographic of South and Southeast Asians, and Africans. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Houston

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-25-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
OMG really? Are you that uninformed? Seriously you are embarassing yoruself with your ignorrance. A quick google search on the topic will quickly show you, you have know idea what you're talking about.

Get around LA a bit more and it's not hard to see that the city is a gateway for every corner of the world, and has neighborhoods like Little Ehiopia, and a large Iranian community just to name a few beyond you limited knowledge of what suposedly is only Mexicans and Asians.
Well that's just what it seems like when I go there. Doesn't seem like many white people migrate to LA. But I'll take your word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.