U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,128 times

Advertisements

You people are stupid! I've been homeless for 2 years.There is no " Good Place " in America to be homeless. There are some really bad ones. Like Florida, Colorado. You will be hated everywhere you go.Used as a slave at Temp's. And given some **** poor minimum wage. And never get back on your feet.Every system I've encountered is broken. Filled with mentally I'll.And drunk's and hardcore drug addict's that clog the whole system up.They belong in rehab or institutions. Not shelters. I've lived in Denver and Seattle. Worst place's I've ever lived in my life. I can only say.Good luck and find somewhere warm. Personally I'm ready to kill my ****ing self.Life is not worth living anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:28 AM

1,239 posts, read 614,624 times
I live in Boston there are plenty of homeless people here, but I visited the Pacific Northwest Portland and Seattle and was like WTF?? There were hoards of homeless.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
Sunday, March 6, 2016:
I've been dreading this passage in my life for a long time now. Just $1033.00 per month in Social Security is not enough to pay for a decent place to hang my hat. I have a Master's Degree in Social Work & a BA in Human Behavior w/ Chem Dependency emphasis but I will be homeless in less than one month. I have a car, so I guess me & my little 15 lb Tixie will be homeless soon.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:05 PM

20,181 posts, read 14,570,203 times
IMO, probably the smaller towns on the gulf coast between Sarasota and Naples. Small enough to not be dangerous, great weather.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:16 PM

20,596 posts, read 22,030,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Portland decided to subsidize being homeless. Now they complain that they are getting more of what they paid for. I lived in Portland when these decisions were being made. I am glad that I no longer live there. I don't want to pay higher property taxes so someone can make a choice to be homeless. I have compassion for those that are trying, but not for those that choose to be homeless.
You are correct. When I wrote my post, Portland was trying to do something about the freeloading homeless who were coming into Portland just because of the benefits and not because they were really down on their luck. That changed very quickly with a new Administration.

I used to help out street kids, mostly runaways from really bad environments. As I saw the type of people newly flooding the city who were being subsidized by the wishy-washy city government I got truly disgusted. Newcomers consisting of lazy able bodied mooches who didn't want to even try to find work other than spending their lives chasing the best assistance programs available.

Having at one time faced the possibility of being homeless myself due to poor health and job loss I know what it can be like. It was really scary. I can't see how anyone would willingly chose that kind of life.

I'll give anyone a helping hand but I don't have the means to support people who don't want to take care care of themselves. I moved from Portland too. I feel the same as you about supporting those who do not want to work.

If anyone wants to live on the streets in Portland, they will have lots of company. But they should keep in mind, it's not the Nirvana people from other cities are touting it to be. No one will love you. From what I am told by people I know who actually live in Portland, there are now "classes" amongst the homeless who openly fight each other for benefits and whatever is available and it's not pretty. Crime amongst the homeless camps is increasing.

I think it's just easier to try and find work.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:28 PM

1,723 posts, read 992,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
You people are stupid! I've been homeless for 2 years.There is no " Good Place " in America to be homeless. There are some really bad ones. Like Florida, Colorado. You will be hated everywhere you go.Used as a slave at Temp's. And given some **** poor minimum wage. And never get back on your feet.Every system I've encountered is broken. Filled with mentally I'll.And drunk's and hardcore drug addict's that clog the whole system up.They belong in rehab or institutions. Not shelters. I've lived in Denver and Seattle. Worst place's I've ever lived in my life. I can only say.Good luck and find somewhere warm. Personally I'm ready to kill my ****ing self.Life is not worth living anymore.
Don't give up! Please. A friend of mine always says to me (when i'm in despair) "There's always a way. You just have to find it."
I know what it's like to not have a home. Most people don't. There's so little sympathy, compassion and understanding which to is so strange as anyone with half a brain knows how important their home is. Although, on the other hand, they totally take it for granted. I think homelessness (one of 3 basic needs and i could say "human rights") scares people so much that all they can do is demonize people who are without a home. Don't give up.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 912 times
I lost work and now homeless, have no family to help where best place to get back on my feet, homeless shelter that help and guide me.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:04 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree you shouldn't have to be homeless, but some people choose to. I remember my friend telling me about running into a "homeless" guy living on Kuaui in Hawaii on the beach catching his own stuff and what not. Does that mean he's a survivalist? Anyway, I can't imagine how amazing that might be like "Yeah, I'm homeless and I live on one of the most beautiful islands in the world on a beach not that overrun by tourists.."
THIS.

We were very fortunate to go on vacation to Maui last April. I went out for a run one morning and saw two homeless dudes grilling up their breakfast on a small weber grill behind the van that they were clearly living in. On the same beautiful beach that I was paying through the nose to rent a condo on. I was almost jealous of their life. No responsibilities, no jobs, beautiful sights all around them, only job is to go out fishing for the day and maybe some pan handling in the touristy areas.

This was their exact location

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.8526...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Right where that tacoma is parked.

I then snapped back into reality and figured it was probably best to be a contributing member of society.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,751,280 times
If I was homeless, I would B line it for the Bay Area. Tolerable weather plus liberal politics makes it better for homeless. Second choice would be SoCal then Seattle.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,395,600 times
All you guys hating the homeless is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or