Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Bakersfield is NOT a big cities there are many much larger cities are are not really mentioned. Jacksonville is mentioned a lot because of the NFL.

My list would include
- San Jose
- Albuquerque and Santa Fe
- El Paso
- Norfolk, Virginia
- Richmond (always only mentioned in terms of history)
- Savannah (not heard about much aside from as a tourist destination)
- Virginia Beach (largest city in Virginia though military bases are sometimes mentioned)
- Raleigh
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Jackson, Mississippi
- Oklahoma City (though it unfortunately made the news in 1995)
- Tulsa
- Columbia, South Carolina
- Charleston, West Virginia
Since you listed mostly cities below the Mason Dixon Line, let me guess which side your name refers to....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:02 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I thought people knew about Raleigh because of the Research Triangle.
Research Triangle = Southeast Silicon Valley?

And San Jose is mentioned pretty much every time Apple releases a new product (which at this rate seems like every few months).

Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
My vote would go to the gigantic "incorporated suburbs" of the Sun Belt. The largest of these are Mesa, Arizona (about 447,000 people) and Arlington Texas (about 374,000 people), but there are many similar cities in the 200,000 range in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, and Texas.

They are never thought of because they have no real character - they only began being built up in the post-WW2 era, and the original municipalities were either tiny or didn't exist at all. But they are big. Mesa is the 38th largest city in the country!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I thought people knew about Raleigh because of the Research Triangle.
People that have work in the research triangle will have heard about it. But the average person may not have heard about it

Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Davenport, Iowa -- The largest of what are commonly referred to as "Quad Cities".

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My vote would go to the gigantic "incorporated suburbs" of the Sun Belt. The largest of these are Mesa, Arizona (about 447,000 people) and Arlington Texas (about 374,000 people), but there are many similar cities in the 200,000 range in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, and Texas.

They are never thought of because they have no real character - they only began being built up in the post-WW2 era, and the original municipalities were either tiny or didn't exist at all. But they are big. Mesa is the 38th largest city in the country!
Yes, I have no idea what's in Mesa. I have some idea of Scottsdale, I know of Tempe because of ASU, and Glendale(sports stadiums and arenas apparently), but Mesa is a big blank zero.

It's literally a black hole in my mind--I probably know more about Burkina Faso than Mesa.

I just Googled Mesa, and the first images to come up was this giant sort of cool-looking Mormon temple--so now that will forever color my mind about Mesa, Arizona.

http://www.lds.org/bc/content/church...001145salt.jpg

That's like the Hearst Castle of Mormon temples!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
couldnt disagree with you there.
Its more or less heard around regionally.
But nationally? Indianapolis is what showcases our state. Super Bowl 46 is just an example of that. along with the Indy 500. NCAA Final Fours/Big Ten championships/Indianapolis Colts etc etc.
It just got a mention in the last Parks and Rec episode.
They fail their disaster preparedness test and the guys says "This was bad. Fort Wayne bad."

But it's a nice town. I was just there a few weeks ago.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

Arlington, Texas had the unenviable reputation of being the largest city without public transportation.

One I never hear about either - Fort Worth, TX. Other being part of the abbreviation "DFW"...

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Arlington, Texas had the unenviable reputation of being the largest city without public transportation.

One I never hear about either - Fort Worth, TX. Other being part of the abbreviation "DFW"...
You hear about Fort Worth, but it's always in comparison to what makes it different than Dallas or as the smaller sibling of the the DFW area. Similar to Seattle and Tacoma, though Fort Worth probably stands a little more on it's own than Tacoma--and is probably nicer than Tacoma as well(maybe)...

Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
I would say Greensboro/Winston Salem NC, Hampton Roads Va, and Richmond Va
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.