U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 AM

139 posts, read 447,946 times

Advertisements

I've recently been looking forward to summer after these long winter months, as most in the North would probably agree. 70-80 degree days, grilling out, laying by the pool, heading to the beach, camping, fishing etc.

In my ever lingering desire to move south, I started wondering if everybody in the south enjoys such summer activities to the same extent? Instead of 70-80 with a "realfeel" of 85, I know it's frequently 85-90 with a "realfeel" of 105. Do you guys simply get used to the heat and go out and enjoy yourselves just as much as people do up here, or is it less exciting, with more time spent inside in the AC?

We have precious few weekends up here with such weather, while you have more from March-November to enjoy. Does this make a difference in your summer fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,906,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
I've recently been looking forward to summer after these long winter months, as most in the North would probably agree. 70-80 degree days, grilling out, laying by the pool, heading to the beach, camping, fishing etc.

In my ever lingering desire to move south, I started wondering if everybody in the south enjoys such summer activities to the same extent? Instead of 70-80 with a "realfeel" of 85, I know it's frequently 85-90 with a "realfeel" of 105. Do you guys simply get used to the heat and go out and enjoy yourselves just as much as people do up here, or is it less exciting, with more time spent inside in the AC?

We have precious few weekends up here with such weather, while you have more from March-November to enjoy. Does this make a difference in your summer fun?
The temperatures are usually higher than that during the peak of summer. Try 85-100 with a heat index of around 105-115.

Working in it isn't too bad as long as you stay hydrated, but on the tougher days you don't really feel like going outside and doing anything afterwards. The heat and humidity combination can really take it out of you.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:43 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,293,811 times
When the weather is really hot during the day, I tend to schedule my outdoor activities (walking, tennis, lawn mowing, etc) for either the morning or the evening. Just avoid mid-day and you will be fine.

Also, if I am doing water sports (swimming, water skiing, etc) then the very hot weather doesn't really bother me at all.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,917,812 times
My personal experience in living in Upstate NY and central NC....summer is much more enjoyable in the north. Way more time spent outside in May-September in NY than in NC for us. Spent about as much time cooped up inside in the AC in the summer in the south as we did cooped up with the furnace in the winter up north. The "enjoyable outside time" in NC was mid-march-early/mid may...and on the other end of the summer, late sept-mid nov. Summer was generally not pleasant. Though it was 2.5 hours to the ocean or 2.5 hours to the mountains so enjoyable outdoor activities could be had in a day trip in either direction.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,826,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
My personal experience in living in Upstate NY and central NC....summer is much more enjoyable in the north. Way more time spent outside in May-September in NY than in NC for us. Spent about as much time cooped up inside in the AC in the summer in the south as we did cooped up with the furnace in the winter up north. The "enjoyable outside time" in NC was mid-march-early/mid may...and on the other end of the summer, late sept-mid nov. Summer was generally not pleasant. Though it was 2.5 hours to the ocean or 2.5 hours to the mountains so enjoyable outdoor activities could be had in a day trip in either direction.
If that's the way you feel about North Carolina summers, which are considerably mild, I'd hate to see how you'd cope in the Gulf South.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
I can handle summers in both the north and south, but I have to say, summer is far more enjoyable and scenic in the north. Having nice hot weather in the green deciduous forested mountains is better than having nice hot weather on boring, flat land with plastic looking palm trees.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can handle summers in both the north and south, but I have to say, summer is far more enjoyable and scenic in the north. Having nice hot weather in the green deciduous forested mountains is better than having nice hot weather on boring, flat land with plastic looking palm trees.
Right, because that is what the entire south looks like, and we don't have any mountains down here.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Right, because that is what the entire south looks like, and we don't have any mountains down here.
Obviously, I'm generalizing. The south does have flatter topography than the north in general, unless talking about the Midwest. But I don't want this to turn into another stupid back and forth debate as seen on these forums all the time.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Obviously, I'm generalizing. The south does have flatter topography than the north in general, unless talking about the Midwest. But I don't want this to turn into another stupid back and forth debate as seen on these forums all the time.
It doesn't have to. Just don't make any silly statements.

Even where it is flatter, there's still plenty of rolling terrain and forested areas. Flat with palm trees only describes part of a huge area.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM

11,112 posts, read 12,508,242 times
You do work in the morning in the south, and drink gallons of water. You do get used to the humidity, and people do work and play all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.