Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most dissimilar to its state
NYC/New York 42 30.00%
Chicago/Illinois 51 36.43%
Miami/Florida 9 6.43%
Detroit/Michigan 9 6.43%
Memphis/Tennesee 5 3.57%
St Louis/Missouri 6 4.29%
Cleveland/Ohio 3 2.14%
Philadelphia/Pennsylvania 7 5.00%
New Orleans/Louisiana 8 5.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times

Advertisements

There are many states that have a city vs rural mentality. NYC and Chicago are large enough to be able to tell the rest of the state to shut up. Philadelphia is on the cusp but unfortunately does not have that type of power yet even within it's own state (Even while Philly and Pittsburgh produce 80% of the state GDP).

I feel that one reason is because the Philadelphia region is fragmented among PA, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland and pushed into only a little corner of the massive state of Pennsylvania.

James Carville said it best, "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in between."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:39 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Austin is no different from the other large cities in Texas no matter what the Austin residents say. It looks the same, it sprawls the same, the traffic is just as bad, Austin is as Texas as it confess, don't be fooled.

Also, i dunno if i would called Austin a gay Mecca. It is nothing like South Florida or even Atlanta.

Austin just likes to toot its own horn. Subcultures exist in all the major cities, they just don't go on about it.

The gay culture is prevalent in just the same proportion in the cores of Houston and Dallas as in Austin. Austin just cover s less area so it doesn't include as much if its burbs in its limits to water down its more liberal side.

Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Corpus Christi are more alike than different.

I would say El Paso is the most different big city in Texas being more in line with the Southwest. El Paso is pure New Mexico
Austin is topographically different than Houston, and Dallas. Austin Feels different than Houston, and Dallas. But I don't think Austin is the most dissimilar to the rest of the State, because SA also gives off the same feeling as Austin does.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
I'd say climatically Miami's different from the rest of the state. More so than NYC is to NY State, and Chicago is to Ill.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Austin is topographically different than Houston, and Dallas. Austin Feels different than Houston, and Dallas. But I don't think Austin is the most dissimilar to the rest of the State, because SA also gives off the same feeling as Austin does.
The thread isnt about which city is different from Houston, its which is least like the rest of the state, and that is certainly not Austin. Well duh, Austin is different in topography from Houston, just about all states have varying topography. Austin shares similar geography with about 25%of the state.

Austin doesn't feel that much different from Houston or Dallas. As for the burbs, they are exactly the same.

You say, austin doesnt feel like Houston but then you say SA feels the same?? SA is a facsimile of Houston. Moreso than Dallas Does. Are you just comparing a few downtown streets or something? San antonio is Houston light.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
New York (specifically Manhattan) is a planet of its own.
The other boroughs tend to look like North Jersey and Long Island and a dose of Westchester.
Is NYC THAT different from it's upstate bretherin though? I picked Chicago because it is SO very different from the rest of the state that the state literally wants to separate itself from Chicago! NYC, although big and unique, seems to have a similar personality to other NY cities like Buffalo, Syracuse or Rochester. People are still generally liberal, it's still in the Northern part of the country (unlike Illinois), it's still very urban outside of NYC, etc.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'd say climatically Miami's different from the rest of the state. More so than NYC is to NY State, and Chicago is to Ill.
What about Key West or Tampa? I realize South Florida is very different from Northern Florida, but Miami isn't all of South Florida.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM

122 posts, read 222,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
What about Austin? It's not even listed in the poll. I've never been there, but have a friend who lives there and it sounds nothing like the rest of Texas. My friend happens to be gay, and into piercings and Gothic music and feels perfectly at home there. I don't know if that would be the case in most other parts of Texas.

Austin is a university town, mostly liberal, has a huge alternative music scene, is a gay Mecca in the South, and has a niche for just about every stripe of the current counter-culture. Even the climate there is different than most of the rest of Texas. It actually sounds like a really cool town.
Austin is the same as the rest of the big cities in Texas.

I would not call Austin a gay Mecca, especially when you have Dallas and Houston in the same state, which offer a lot more for the GLBT crowd.

Last edited by jayshoota; 02-28-2013 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The thread isnt about which city is different from Houston, its which is least like the rest of the state, and that is certainly not Austin. Well duh, Austin is different in topography from Houston, just about all states have varying topography. Austin shares similar geography with about 25%of the state.

Austin doesn't feel that much different from Houston or Dallas. As for the burbs, they are exactly the same.

You say, austin doesnt feel like Houston but then you say SA feels the same?? SA is a facsimile of Houston. Moreso than Dallas Does. Are you just comparing a few downtown streets or something? San antonio is Houston light.
Austin and San Antonio don't look or feel anything like Dallas or Houston, to me. They're in completely different geographic and cultural regions.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
It would have to be between NYC and Chicago.

Atlanta is probably a lot more like the rest of Georgia than it is given credit for.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Also, I think the claims about Austin being "not really Texas" are way overblown. Yes it has liberal leanings. But so does the urban core of Dallas and Houston. The burbs are exactly the same and I don't think there is a county in the Dallas or Houston metros as conservative as Williamson county.

Yes Austin is unique in its own way, but it's no more unique than the other big cities in the state. But without a doubt they're all Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.