Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most dissimilar to its state
NYC/New York 42 30.00%
Chicago/Illinois 51 36.43%
Miami/Florida 9 6.43%
Detroit/Michigan 9 6.43%
Memphis/Tennesee 5 3.57%
St Louis/Missouri 6 4.29%
Cleveland/Ohio 3 2.14%
Philadelphia/Pennsylvania 7 5.00%
New Orleans/Louisiana 8 5.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Outside of their respective downtowns, Austin and San Antonio are practically fraternal twins.
Pretty much all suburban USA is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Re: San Antonio/Austin vs. the rest of Texas...

All Texas cities have an amount of shared similarity, that much is true.

But SA and Austin do indeed feel completely different from Dallas, Ft Worth, Houston, etc.

The differences Austin exhibits may be more appealing at first, but San Antonio's differences are much more interesting in a deeper sense. It's truly a cross-cultural (Texas an Mexico) and historical city unique within Texas. It's really like the main "border metro" city Texas -- it's the hub for the actual border cities like McAllen, Laredo, Eagle Pass, Del Rio. All of which seem really more like Mexico than Texas, especially since you'll need to go through border patrol checkpoints to get to any of them. SA is like the last stop before the "controlled" border area.
That's an excellent way of putting it.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Once you go South of SA, it is like Mexico-Norte. SA is more Chicano, Mexican-American influenced, with a mix of Spanish history. South Texas seems heavily dominated by recent arrivals more than anything, with Chicanos and long-time American residing Mexicans being the community leaders.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM

68 posts, read 149,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
NY is hardly dominated by farmland (or at least no more so than any other state). Look at upstate with syracuse and albany both with metro areas over a million and western ny with the size of buffalo and rochester. Also, yonkers in westchester and nassau on long island are also heavily developed. While there are counties like st. lawrence, jefferson, suffolk that are rural, its still a heavily populated state.
I'd have to disagree with you here. I mean most of what you said is correct: it's a heavily populated state, there's several large and reasonably important metros aside from NYC and the area immediatley surrounding NYC is very built-up. But on the whole the state really is rural in character. If you subtract the 11-12 million state residents who live in the New York City metro or long island, you're only left with 8 or 9 million residents in an area roughly the size of iowa (don't quote me on that comparison though lol). And around 4 million of those individuals live in either Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse or Albany metros. What you get then is a state that, based on geographic area, is pretty rural in character. Even leaving the adirondacks out of the equation, driving across New York State ALL you see are rolling farms and small towns aside from a few brief exciting moments when you pass through one of those four cities. I wouldn't call it wilderness by any means, but it definitely comes as a suprise to visitors who initially pictured New York State as the city and the suburbs of the city, and nothing else. To me that's more like Jersey or to a lesser extent Maryland. I voted NYC/New york state in the poll; not only is most of the state modest towns or farms, but the two major cities upstate, buffalo and rochester, are really nothing at all like New York. Buffalo feels a bit like Cleveland, and Rochester reminds me a lot of mineapolis for some reason.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
I'm surprised the OP thinks Cleveland is the least like Ohio.

Cleveland really represents a huge part of Ohio's past and present.

Columbus is the city the least like the rest of the state. It was a post WWII growth city, a almost fully white collar economy, a small industrial past, a high growth city, a younger city, a central city that didn't and isn't as decayed as any other city in the rest of the state, a city that didn't function or grow based on a lake or large river, etc, etc, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM

416 posts, read 700,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I'm surprised the OP thinks Cleveland is the least like Ohio.

Cleveland really represents a huge part of Ohio's past and present.

Columbus is the city the least like the rest of the state. It was a post WWII growth city, a almost fully white collar economy, a small industrial past, a high growth city, a younger city, a central city that didn't and isn't as decayed as any other city in the rest of the state, a city that didn't function or grow based on a lake or large river, etc, etc, etc.
I am not suprised. Cleveland and NE Ohio are quite different from the rest of the state. We are pretty northeastern in feel. I live right next to a suburb that has one of the top 10 largest percentages of its residents that are Italian in the country. We were settled by Connecticut settlers, and many of the villages, townships, and cities have New England style housing and architecture. The town greens are extremely common in this part of the state, and are the focal points of many towns' business districts.

The two cities that feel the most different from their states are New York and Illinois. With the more extreme in Illinois because most of the rest of the state is flat farmland. At least in New York you have Buffalo which is suprisingly urban, and a city that you don't find in Illinois outside of Chicago.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 AM

183 posts, read 298,236 times
Nairobi, you definitely have a point, Atlanta south of 20 is like a totally different Atlanta..almost night and day, and I will give you that there are a few places on the southside or the westside that could easily pass for Macon, Augusta, or Columbus. However, all of these places are still fairly close to the busier parts of the metro area and many of these people south of 20 commute to the Perimeter area, downtown, midtown, buckhead for work, entertainment, etc..so while yes, they may seem country and they have accents, they are still for the most part very different from those in other areas of the state. Although many areas of the southside are exclusively black and have a lesser amount of transplants, they are still exposed to more things than those in other areas of GA. Many take MARTA, many parents send their kids to schools such as Grady and North Atlanta which are more diverse and miles ahead of any school outside of metro ATL. The West End area( which south of 20) which is surprisingly vibrant and bustling during the day with pedestrians, and although many residents there do sound country, are used to riding a subway, and being in an overall busy, urban enviornment(by Atlanta standards), and even living around an extremely diverse set of blacks. You definitely won't find that anywhere in GA. For Clayton County, as much flack as that place gets and its not my favorite area either, is still more diverse than the rest of the state...and nicer too IMO. Theres a huge Hindu temple there, H Mart, and Clayton County is still full of cookie cutter homes and has a large population of transplants. There are quite a few asians, hispanics, carribeans, and africans. Name a place in GA with all of that? Cascade & Camp Creek, you definitely won't find a majority black neighborhood that wealthy outside of ATL. Whats funny is that all of this is south of 20. Now you do have an argument for Ben Hill, Adamsville, East Point, and College Park BUT 3 of those area are served by the train. Some native Atlantans do sound country, but go talk to someone from south GA or extreme N GA, I promise, you will hear a definite difference.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Illinois without Chicago is basically Iowa.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times
Philly. PA is a redneck state like West Virginia immediately outside Greater Philly.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,054 times
Take away all the tall glass buildings and infrastructure,and will you see how Atlanta isn't that much different from the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.