Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:37 PM

666 posts, read 1,284,465 times

Advertisements

If you ask me what place could be work great for movie production I would say Asheville, NC. Yes, it can emulate the area around Hollywood. That is my opinion. That could also boost NC's economy and make it truly California East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 04:28 PM

6,335 posts, read 11,498,424 times
I don't think the OP is wanting a philosophical discussion - they are wanting a job. They can have a nice vacation in Asheville and contemplate whether they want to focus on TV or films. Then they can get on the interstate and turn west (Knoxville) or SW (Atlanta), or E (Wilmington). They have Hollywood east in Wilmington already.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,393,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I don't think the OP is wanting a philosophical discussion - they are wanting a job. They can have a nice vacation in Asheville and contemplate whether they want to focus on TV or films. Then they can get on the interstate and turn west (Knoxville) or SW (Atlanta), or E (Wilmington). They have Hollywood east in Wilmington already.
Exactly. That is why I said Chicago is a place nobody moves to for film, the top graduates studying RTF @ NW or MFA @ CC move *away* from there. It's not even on the radar in terms of industry anymore. Chicago did less than 1% of LA in film production in terms of revenue. Chicago isn't even worth discussing for film for somebody looking for a job or looking something at the #3 spot beyond NYC and LA. I never said nothing is occurring in Chicago, I asked to tell me what is occurring (in the context of this thread) and the answer is zilch, certainly not somewhere would move to looking for a job. Now if you are an established director, sure you can go live in Chicago as your home base and travel wherever you want to shoot your film. If you are an indie movie maker doing some short film you can live in Louisville Kentucky or Fargo, ND, doesn't matter. Cider House Rules, Pet Sematary, and Jumanji were all shot in Maine. Who cares? There is no film industry there. What films have been shot on location at Cinescape? Anything? Have they booked anything? There were rumors it was supposed to get Batman 3 but I'm assuming costs were too high or wasn't ready yet so they just shot it on location in Detroit b/c it's dirt cheap to shoot there but they also have no industry. Either way, it's for on location shots for people to come in town and rent out their facilities then leave. It looks like they have a few tv credits like Chicago Fire, but that's it.

Last edited by grapico; 03-02-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 5,375 times
Atlanta is totally a top contender. Tyler Perry studios, plus several film companies, and some large ones are being attracted to the area including one that is building a HUGE backlot and production area. The nickname "Hollywood of the South" is being tossed around with increasing popularity. There is a lot of history also, not just because of Margaret Mitchell, but other things as well. I think a current example is the filming of Vampire Diaries involving the Salvatore Boarding House and Glenridge Hall and many others.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,815,992 times
Why not just bite the bullet and go with LA or NYC? Historically, that's how it's always been. The most legendary block-buster of films took place in studios, and such, in these 2 cities. Why not just go with tradition? Why search for Hollywood South, or Hollywood East? Just make the trek to those 2 cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.