Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times

Advertisements

Louisville, KY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 01:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
That's a long post. Let me break it down to two issues that I see. First would be the social/personal issues you primarily discussed. The second would be business-related issues that you seemed to omit.

First, for the social issues, only you can determine what is best for you. For example, I'm a native San Diegan. What you described, I would call "laid back." The lifestyle is slower than other metropolitan areas, although it has changed quite a bit since I grew up.

Lots of peope like that style of living. Less stress, more emphasis on quality of life, etc., can be very attractive to some. If I were to recommend such a place, you would oviously find it unacceptable. So, I would only recommend that you be sure to spend some time onger than just a weekend or holiday in any area that anyone recommends.

Oh btw, you mentioned La Jolla like it's different than San Diego. It happens to be San Diego. It's in the city limts and it's an area that many people escaped from years ago. That's how much of Rancho Santa Fe started . . . with people who escaped from the congestion and traffic problems native to La Jolla and the limited ways in and out of the area.

Now, for your business. It may make sense to go somewhere that is business-friendly. For example, Nevada has some big incentives for business as well as individuals. There is no income tax in the state that applies to both individuals and businesses. There is also no inventory tax applied to businesses.

I am only aware of a few of the business-related issues so you may want to investgate it further. However, I know there are other things that make locating your business in Nevada very attractive.

Finally, you visited LV, but it's not the be-all end-all of Nevada. There is another metro area with smaller towns surrounding it. It's Reno. It has an airport and it sits atop a major E/W artery called I80. That makes for easy shipping of your products.

It also has easy access to California and the Silicon Valley without needing to pay the excessive California real estate prices. You'd be something like 4 hours or so to the bay area (Silicon Valley), which might be important for your line of business.

Also, the area provides a wealth of recreaton. You'll be close to Lake Tahoe and the skiing opportunites presented up the hill. You also have the entire Sierra Nevada range right outside your back door for hiking, horseback riding, and hunting/fising, if any of those things interest you.

It might end up with Nevada being a god state for you, for both personal and business reasons. Specifically, it's the north-western part of the state that might meet your needs.

Otherwise, good luck onfinding some place.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB99 View Post
* Friendly people
* Enough stuff to do, to keep things original and interesting to actually live there
* A great place to run a tech company, and find decent tech talent
* Good food - defined by lots of cuisine choices, done well
* Decent weather, at least at the times it's supposed to be decent, seasonally
* A decent place to drive (I love driving... one thing I hate is carrying a ton of shopping bags around with me when I go to a supermarket, etc.. I'd love just to pull up somewhere and dump it off, not to rely on public transport)
* A decent international airport for when I'm flying back to the UK (every few months for a weekend) and to other places in the US
* Little religiousity. I'm atheist and I like a place with an open mind, where there's not necessarily a church on every corner and the expectation that you must attend every Sunday!
If you like Texas, try Dallas

*Texas Friendly
*6.5 million, plenty to do
*Home of TI, EDS and tons of tech talent
*More restaurants per capita than NYC also shopping
*4 seasons but little snow, can be hot in summer but best AC in the world
*Built for cars, but does have DART rail - inside LBJ loop easy to get around
*DFW International is one of the top airports in the world
*Not as religious as you think - most of those people are in the exurbs

Also it is said that Dallas has the best looking women in the world.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,388,720 times
Can't go wrong with CHICAGO!

All american, nice architecture, diversified economy, friendly and just a well rounded city.
The biggest con is the weather. You just gotta get used to it.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:36 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
quote;"Decent weather = 75 degrees+ in the summer, and not too cold in the winter. I quite like the separation of seasons New York has, but that's partly because I think NY suits snowy weather around Xmas time. Not sure it's something I'd like to have to deal with myself 3 months of the year."

Seattle or Portland, Oregon. but probably in the burbs if you just want to drop off the groceries from a car. Honolulu??

Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
Here's some links I found that may iterest you:

Business Ad (broken link)

Northern Nevada Dvelopment Authority

Why relocate to Northern Nevada? (broken link)

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,430 times
Default I picked two for you.

When I read your message - Austin, TX and Albuquerque, NM came to mind.
Hope you find the ideal place for you.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 15,650 times
Another vote for Seattle or Portland, Oregon!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM

396 posts, read 1,698,924 times
I'd also go with Seattle or Portland.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:55 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
i agree with austin for you. a lot of high-tech people are locating there and it has a lot to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.