U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,552,412 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Buffalo, NY area and am more than ready to move. Since signing up on city-data, I've been posting in the various state forums collecting really valuable information. I've traveled to visit and experience places that have appealed to me. However, I've sort of reached a standstill in my search as I'm coming to terms with the reality that there is no perfect place. What I'm looking for now is advice on which area would work BEST for me based on...

My main considerations:

1) Climate

2) Insect and wildlife issues

3) Proximity to water (ocean or clean lake)

4) Culture

5) Landscape / scenery

1) Winter in Buffalo is long and harsh. I want a milder, shorter winter, but shorter is the more important quality if I have to choose between the 2. Winter should last no more than 3 months. I handle hot and even humid weather very well, probably because I spend as much time as possible in water.

2) With milder shorter winters comes more BUGS in summer it seems, and there lies the rub. This is the primary reason I'm considering 2 homes instead of fully relocating - I could still have my glorious WNY summers that are relatively manageable as far as insects are concerned, and then I could live in a warmer climate from about Thanksgiving to Memorial Day. So I'd be skipping the worst of the bugs and the worst of the cold in the respective locations. However I have a feeling the dream of owning 2 homes can actually become quite a nightmare in reality. I've thought about buying somewhere warm and then just renting a vacation home in the Finger Lakes every summer, but I don't like the uncertainty that comes with renting or abandoning a primary residence for months on end.

3) We'd like to be on or near the beach or a swimable lake.

4) I'm uncomfortable describing the type of "culture" we're looking for, because such matters are so personal in my case. I don't judge others for their preferences on the matter, and am sensitive to others' judgement of me based on my wishes in this area. The way I want to put it is I don't want to live around strip clubs but I also don't want to live in a state that is likely to pass really tough gun control legislation. These issues are examples to illustrate a larger idea of the vibe I'm seeking. So basically, a place where the government is a bit more hands off, and yet the people decide themselves that strip clubs and "adult" establishments do not fit in with their community. I completely understand that plenty of you think I'm downright mentally ill for my cultural preference. But understand I'm not telling YOU to avoid strip clubs, I'm just saying I personally would not want to live around them. And please note I am not religious.

5) I get sick of a flat landscape, but I'm also uncomfortable driving in mountainous areas, so somewhere in between is ideal. I tend to feel at home in the "oldest" parts of America. The earlier settled, the more "right" I feel there.

Some areas I have visited / considered (let me know where my impressions are incorrect or my experiences not accurately representative):

Virginia: Felt the most "at home" around Sandbridge (south of Virginia Beach), with Richmond surprisingly runner-up. My hang-ups regarding those areas are: Both - heartworm prevalence, mosquitoes. Richmond - felt a little too connected to D.C. and a little too far from the beaches or a lake. Sandbridge - I do not wish to live around so many military installations.
Charlottesville proper felt too hoity toity to me in some aspects and overall struck me as a place to visit not live. The outskirts of Charlottesville were too stereotypically hickish, with lots of barbed wire fencing on dilapidated "farms" complete with rusted trailers and sick pregnant stray dogs. Roanoke felt like the wild west to me. Again, awesome place to visit, but would not want to navigate the mountains on a daily basis. The area around Smith Mountain Lake is very tempting. Wildlife would be my main concern if I could get past the mountain driving.

Delaware: Felt completely at home, I just really clicked with the state. Loved the historic vibe and the beaches, disliked the flatness. DE also has too many cancer clusters, as well as Lyme carrying ticks.

West Virgina (north east section): Picturesque with decent climate but can't get past all the strip clubs. The state is known for them.

Pennsylvania: Might be able to get closer to my ideal climate without the huge bug populations in summer, but I drive through the state frequently and my experience has really turned me off! Every 5 miles a billboard for yet another "adult" store or fireworks store, and then the signs every few feet "put your seatbelt on".. "I SAID buckle up".. "you better get that seat belt on or else" etc., etc. I've developed quite a negative association with the state just based on traveling its highways. The one place I've loved in PA was Gettysburg, but I have concerns about the growing prevalence of Lyme carrying ticks in the area. Also not near the beach, and very limited options for lake living.

Maryland: The western portion of the state appeals most to me and is far more affordable than the eastern half, but mountain driving comes into play. Winters can be harsh, yet being a heavily forested region, wildlife / insect issues abound.

South Carolina: Hilton Head has glorious winters but is overrun with snakes, roaches, and mosquitoes.

Georgia: Jekyll island has such a cool air of mystery but again, the insect population is out of control.

Florida Keys: Always enjoy my time there but don't want to deal with hurricanes and dangerous wildlife.

Nebraska: Wonderful people, however not sure the winters would be mild / short enough for me. Slightly worried about tornadoes. Not enough swimable lakes to live on (since it is so far from the ocean.)

Utah: Wonderful people with a great culture but the air quality is unacceptable and winter inversions are disgusting.

Nevada: Appealing climate in Reno but just can't live in a state with legal prostitution. (I know Reno and some other counties don't allow it, that's not the point. It just tells me something about the state government and while I say more power to ya for those that live there, it's just not for me.) Also have some wildlife concerns in Nevada.

New Mexico: At the right elevation I could probably find the climate I'm looking for. But the venomous snakes, scorpions, and spiders are too much for me.

California: Could probably find my perfect climate plus not many nuisance bugs, but poisonous snakes and black widows are too common. Also the political / economic situation in the state really turns me off. I don't want to leave NY state for the same type of government mismanagement out west.

Oregon: The Pacific North West has a reputation for being the most bug-free region of the country, although I do know spiders thrive there. I think the rain would get to me, plus Oregon long held the title of most strip clubs per capita which is a super creepy statistic to me.

I am fully aware that my somewhat neurotic wish list sets me up for ridicule on this forum. I'm respectfully requesting you keep judgements of me out of the thread and focus on relocation recommendations. I know I'm weird. You don't have to tell me. But if you were weird in the ways I'm weird - where would you want to live?

Kids and employment are not factors in our relocation.

Again, I could very well be wrong in my impressions of each area mentioned. These are spots I've scouted and researched as relocation options. Tell me where I'm mistaken, and let me know if I've overlooked an area that might be "perfect" for me.

Or, is my best option having 2 homes and if so how does one handle the pitfalls of such an endeavor?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,568,116 times
I would recommend looking into Southern Indiana or Central Indiana.
You will have nice wildlife and recreation opportunities but winters arent cold and brutal like Buffalo. The biggest difference is no lake effect snow in the winter and it generally last from january to early march.
If you want a big city then Indianapolis would be the best choice for you.
Now with a body of water being on your criteria somethings to consider would are you ok with a decent sized lake? There is the Giest and Eagle Creek Reservoir. Both lakes are big enough where you can boat/fish and swim and ironically in the winter they do the polar plunge into the Eagle Creek Lake. A major problem with a bigger lake like Lake Michigan or the ocean is it can and will influence your climate and usually massive bugs like big bodies of water. Oceans also produce hurricanes as we know and those not only can destroy your house but can take litterly everything away from you that you didnt pack up in a truck and evacuate with.
Landscape and Scenary depends on what is good for you.
If you like a more urban setting then Downtown Indianapolis and the central part of the city will give you that for a very low cost of living and tax structure.
If you like more trees and green space then the north side of Indianapolis/Carmel are very green areas. Its similar to how atlanta built itself into a forest.
Meridian hills on the north side is one of the hilliest areas of Indy and its home to more of the upper affluent class of citizens. Its also along the white river.
Hope this helps you out and youll really enjoy Hoosier Hospitality

Old 03-02-2013, 08:49 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
My main considerations:

1) Climate

4) Culture

5) Landscape / scenery

Moab, Utah

Moab, Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Moab's Official Tourism Website - Get up-to-date vacation planning information from the only official source for the city of Moab.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:28 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,142,569 times
Quote:
Delaware: Felt completely at home, I just really clicked with the state. Loved the historic vibe and the beaches, disliked the flatness. DE also has too many cancer clusters, as well as Lyme carrying ticks.
You could try the northern part of Delaware near the Pennsylvania border. It's a bit less flat, with some rolling hills. It's still mostly flat, but there's a bit of elevation, so you can have the experience of your ears popping when you drive...

This area of Delaware (as in north of Wilmington) tends to fare a little better in terms of cancer. Still, Delaware does do pretty poorly as a state. If it puts you at ease at all, it's just an increased likelihood of cancer. They don't give you cancer with the deed to your house.

I would say the ticks aren't really that bad, but my dog got Lyme disease. I've never had a tick on me, unlike in PA or Virginia. It really depends on what you're doing. I'm paranoid about ticks, but I haven't been bit in about a decade.

The downside of living so far north is that it'll take you a couple hours to get to the beaches (especially in traffic), but it isn't bad if you don't go on a Saturday (or if you leave early).

Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 AM

892 posts, read 1,846,631 times
Have you been to central California, to the Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo area in particular? I understand your concerns about the state as a whole but that area seems to tick most of your other boxes.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,227,573 times
Quote:
My main considerations:

1) Climate

4) Culture

5) Landscape / scenery

1) Winter in Buffalo is long and harsh. I want a milder, shorter winter, but shorter is the more important quality if I have to choose between the 2. Winter should last no more than 3 months. I handle hot and even humid weather very well, probably because I spend as much time as possible in water.

2) With milder shorter winters comes more BUGS in summer it seems, and there lies the rub. This is the primary reason I'm considering 2 homes instead of fully relocating - I could still have my glorious WNY summers that are relatively manageable as far as insects are concerned, and then I could live in a warmer climate from about Thanksgiving to Memorial Day. So I'd be skipping the worst of the bugs and the worst of the cold in the respective locations. However I have a feeling the dream of owning 2 homes can actually become quite a nightmare in reality. I've thought about buying somewhere warm and then just renting a vacation home in the Finger Lakes every summer, but I don't like the uncertainty that comes with renting or abandoning a primary residence for months on end.

3) We'd like to be on or near the beach or a swimable lake.

4) I'm uncomfortable describing the type of "culture" we're looking for, because such matters are so personal in my case. I don't judge others for their preferences on the matter, and am sensitive to others' judgement of me based on my wishes in this area. The way I want to put it is I don't want to live around strip clubs but I also don't want to live in a state that is likely to pass really tough gun control legislation. These issues are examples to illustrate a larger idea of the vibe I'm seeking. So basically, a place where the government is a bit more hands off, and yet the people decide themselves that strip clubs and "adult" establishments do not fit in with their community. I completely understand that plenty of you think I'm downright mentally ill for my cultural preference. But understand I'm not telling YOU to avoid strip clubs, I'm just saying I personally would not want to live around them. And please note I am not religious.

5) I get sick of a flat landscape, but I'm also uncomfortable driving in mountainous areas, so somewhere in between is ideal. I tend to feel at home in the "oldest" parts of America. The earlier settled, the more "right" I feel there.

Some areas I have visited / considered (let me know where my impressions are incorrect or my experiences not accurately representative):

Oregon: The Pacific North West has a reputation for being the most bug-free region of the country, although I do know spiders thrive there. I think the rain would get to me, plus Oregon long held the title of most strip clubs per capita which is a super creepy statistic to me.

I am fully aware that my somewhat neurotic wish list sets me up for ridicule on this forum. I'm respectfully requesting you keep judgements of me out of the thread and focus on relocation recommendations. I know I'm weird. You don't have to tell me. But if you were weird in the ways I'm weird - where would you want to live?

Kids and employment are not factors in our relocation.

Again, I could very well be wrong in my impressions of each area mentioned. These are spots I've scouted and researched as relocation options. Tell me where I'm mistaken, and let me know if I've overlooked an area that might be "perfect" for me.

Or, is my best option having 2 homes and if so how does one handle the pitfalls of such an endeavor?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Well, one thing about the PNW is the variables in climate. If you think the rain could possibly get to you, look to the eastern portion of the state, which tends to be the dryer and sunnier side. And it's actually not OR that has the most strip club per capita, its the city of Portland. Outside the PDX metro and i5 corridor, OR is pretty conservative. A place like Bend might be appealing to you.

I'd point out Washington state to check out. Spokane actually sounds like it could work very well for you. Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland) might be worth checking out as well.

Don't be afraid to check out Idaho, for Coeur D'Alene and Boise which fits just about all you want.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I haven't lived everywhere or even been everywhere. I have only lived in two different cities in two different states but I can give you some advice. Don't judge an entire state by one city and don't judge an entire city by just one area you may have heard about. Because of the hype many places get in the media, especlially city/state, many people bypass other surrounding areas that may just suit them.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 3,552,412 times
These responses are incredibly helpful!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 AM

51 posts, read 126,789 times
First off, I would cross CA off the list if you want a state that has a hands off government. However, you probably won't find a place with better weather in the U.S near the ocean. Taxes in CA are crazy, and the government is even crazier. CA is the closest your going to get to perfect physically but on the other hand look at the negatives. Overcrowding, cost of living, gov't, overdevelopment, crime, ect. A lot of people say that they can deal with it because it is so beautiful but end up moving right back. It is a place that is so amazing that everyone wanted to move there and ruined it. Tragedy of the commons. I have such a love, hate relationship with CA.

I feel like you are going to have to make a compromise somewhere. If I were you I would consider Colorado Springs. It is conservative and pro gun. The weather is very mild in the winter. CO does get snow but it melts really fast. Winter in CO on the front range isn't what you think. It's very dry and you get warm winds, a lot of days in the 50's. The front range gets about as many sunny days as San Diego. CO certainly isn't flat and the outdoor opportunities are endless. The mosquitos are almost nonexistent. FWI, almost everywhere out West is going to have wildlife. Mountain lions, snakes, and bears are not common but they're not uncommon either.

I second Coeur D'Alene and also would recommend Utah as a whole. There are dry, sunny places in Utah. One of my favorite places in the world. The government there is very conservative, friendly people too. People bash Mormans but I have never met one that wasn't kind.

If you do end up going to the Southeast they have a ton of mosquitos.

Last edited by Ratherbefishing; 03-05-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 AM

892 posts, read 1,846,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing View Post
First off, I would cross CA off the list if you want a state that has a hands off government. However, you probably won't find a place with better weather in the U.S near the ocean. Taxes in CA are crazy, and the government is even crazier. CA is the closest your going to get to perfect physically but on the other hand look at the negatives. Overcrowding, cost of living, gov't, overdevelopment, crime, ect. A lot of people say that they can deal with it because it is so beautiful but end up moving right back. It is a place that is so amazing that everyone wanted to move there and ruined it.
This is why I love central CA, between LA and San Fran. While the COL is certainly more than other states, it's not so bad for CA standards. No overcrowding or crime, beautiful scenery, and more conservative than the major cities. Nothing compares to the CA coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.