U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM

60 posts, read 162,532 times

Advertisements

The term "nicest" is very general, but in your travels throughout the years what do people believe is the "nicest city" in the United States?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,019,596 times
Are you talking in terms of people being nice or are you talking about in terms of "oh **** these buildings are nice..." and/or "OH man I love the restaurants and bars here.."?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Niceville, Florida...or Nice, California...depends on who you ask.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Are you talking in terms of people being nice or are you talking about in terms of "oh **** these buildings are nice..." and/or "OH man I love the restaurants and bars here.."?
Based on the cities appearance and ammenities

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,636,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSpring85 View Post
The term "nicest" is very general, but in your travels throughout the years what do people believe is the "nicest city" in the United States?
I like California college towns. Where you can be in the middle of nowhere, but find an educated population with cool stuff to do. So maybe San Luis Obispo.

As for "cities", maybe Minneapolis.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 PM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Denver. It's in a beautiful setting with a vibrant downtown area, lots of social/recreational amenities and generally nice people.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,019,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSpring85 View Post
Based on the cities appearance and ammenities
Ah. I'd have to say...San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Boise, Tacoma, Spokane, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, etc..for me at least. I think it's impossible to choose just one. There's a number of cities that fit the bill IMO.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:41 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,265,827 times
I offer San Francisco. What an amazing combination of tourist-friendly accommodation and local-proud eccentricity. Here, a world-class dinner is just fine in jeans and a hoodie, if you're local. A famous cityscape blends seamlessly with steam bear, fresh crab and flip-flops. You have an instant bond with anyone wearing orange and black between the months of March and November. The weather pulls a daily performance that amazes, delights, confounds and inspires people. There's a live-and-let-live attitude that fosters individuality. There's an amazing vista around every corner. There is breathtaking architecture set against amazing natural scenery. There's a food culture inspired by every continent on the planet, yet grounded by a local sensibility of fresh, natural foods unlike anywhere in the world. The creative culture's influences are palpable. There are gathering places and intensely urban spaces that reinforce the fact that this is a world-class city, comfotably alongside wilderness and untouched nature, which reinforces the wildness of the area. There's sophisticated urbanity and rustic naturalism side-by-side. There's bright lights and breathtaking natural vistas. The temperature is comfortable year-round. There is opportunity and a spirit of creativity and entrepreneurialism. There are day trips available in every direction. Water runs clean and clear out of the tap. The place has style and character. People across the country talk themselves into accepting other cities' approximations of SF, as decent compromises, secretly wishing they had the daily affirmation SF provides the faithful. In other words, San Francisco is nice.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I offer San Francisco. What an amazing combination of tourist-friendly accommodation and local-proud eccentricity. Here, a world-class dinner is just fine in jeans and a hoodie, if you're local. A famous cityscape blends seamlessly with steam bear, fresh crab and flip-flops. You have an instant bond with anyone wearing orange and black between the months of March and November. The weather pulls a daily performance that amazes, delights, confounds and inspires people. There's a live-and-let-live attitude that fosters individuality. There's an amazing vista around every corner. There is breathtaking architecture set against amazing natural scenery. There's a food culture inspired by every continent on the planet, yet grounded by a local sensibility of fresh, natural foods unlike anywhere in the world. The creative culture's influences are palpable. There are gathering places and intensely urban spaces that reinforce the fact that this is a world-class city, comfotably alongside wilderness and untouched nature, which reinforces the wildness of the area. There's sophisticated urbanity and rustic naturalism side-by-side. There's bright lights and breathtaking natural vistas. The temperature is comfortable year-round. There is opportunity and a spirit of creativity and entrepreneurialism. There are day trips available in every direction. Water runs clean and clear out of the tap. The place has style and character. People across the country talk themselves into accepting other cities' approximations of SF, as decent compromises, secretly wishing they had the daily affirmation SF provides the faithful. In other words, San Francisco is nice.
Well said. San Fran very well could be the nicest city in the US. It's a shame that in 2-3 years that overdue megaquake will tear the city in half

Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM

23,085 posts, read 35,044,432 times
My thoughts gravitate to cities that have overall a resort feel:

Santa Barbara, CA (my favorite)
Naples, FL
Santa Fe, NM
Charleston, SC
Palm Beach, FL
Asheville, NC

As far as large metros go, my favorites:

Boston
New Orleans
Austin
San Diego
San Francisco
Portland
Seattle
Denver
Minneapolis
Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or