Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be OK living in Milwaukee, WI Metro?
Yes 75 60.00%
No 50 40.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,979,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Well then, Milw. is lucky. The old people who they never thought would leave just left to play golf in Scottsdale.
I have yet to meet anyone in Scottsdale from Milwaukee. I have been to Milwaukee once, and I didn't like what I saw. Granted, that was about 15 years ago. However, Milwaukee's horrid climate would be enough to keep me away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,974,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
So my question - would you live in Milwaukee (relatively happily) if you had to?
No...

Quote:
And then...why or why not?
My daily commute to work in Atlanta would suck.

Seriously... Yes, I'd live in Milwaukee. My current favorite airline is based there (Midwest's "Signature Service" absolutely ROCKS on its 717's), and it'd be a lot closer to my family in the Twin Cities and Duluth than I am now AND to Chicago. Plus I like Wisconsin even if they have poor taste in football teams.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,531,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I have yet to meet anyone in Scottsdale from Milwaukee. I have been to Milwaukee once, and I didn't like what I saw. Granted, that was about 15 years ago. However, Milwaukee's horrid climate would be enough to keep me away.
Barring anecdotal evidence, where did all the retirees come from? Anyways, Milw. looked alot worse 15 years ago. It is doing quite well by itself now. Climate wise, Milwaukee is just the opposite of Phoenix. They are both pretty bad. Take a return trip. I was surprised too.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:08 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have you even been there?

Yes I have.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
No, because Chicago is nearby and my my Midwestern relatives are there and in downstate Illinois. It's like San Diego vs. L.A.--Where would you rather live or visit? I'll visit though. I hear that there are Chicago-style condos at a Milwaukee price.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:26 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
To be fair to the city I voted "YES", even though I have never been there. From all the research I've done it reminds me very much of Scranton on steroids, which sounds like paradise to me. I love historic architecture, walkable neighborhoods, tree-lined streets, and mixed-use zoning, and Milwaukee seems to have all of these. The city seems to have a negative image along the lines of Detroit, Camden, and Gary, but from the research I have done it truly doesn't seem very warranted.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 AM

386 posts, read 1,325,140 times
I love Milwaukee for the lake. It is great, they have great festivals. It is a great blend of old and new. Fun places to explore. My daughter did a college tour around WI this summer. UW Milwaukee and Marquette are both on her list. We would have no hesitation in sending her to college in Milwaukee.
I love living in a small town but if I was looking to move to a city Milwaukee would be on my short list.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,671,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Yes I have.
BacktoNE...just curious...what didn't you like about MKE?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,671,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
The city seems to have a negative image along the lines of Detroit, Camden, and Gary, but from the research I have done it truly doesn't seem very warranted.
SWB...you are absolutely right, whether you like MKE or not, I promise you it is nothing like Detroit, Camden, or Gary! More comparable - loosely - would be a mini-Chicago (Chicago's metro is 10+ million and MKE's metro is 1.7 million)...but occasionally I have to drive through Gary and yeesh, Milwaukee is farrrr more pleasant!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Many people hail the SF Bay Area as some sort of cosmopolitan mecca....and it is, to some degree. But the people there can be just as provincial and insular as anywhere else. They tend to think California is the center of the world, and places between the west coast and east coast are merely flyover material.
I think they don't even care or want to visit the East Coast. The East is ignore country for them. They only isolate themselves along the West Coast and the Rockies. I hear bad comments about the New England Establishment in the West. Isn't that the reason they moved there in the first place; to start anew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.