U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 PM

479 posts, read 282,924 times
STL does have the infrastructure and architecture of a northern city, but the african american culture there is very southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 AM

973 posts, read 934,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
STL does have the infrastructure and architecture of a northern city, but the african american culture there is very southern.
same could be said about the african american cutlure in chicago, detroit, cleveland, milwaukee, etc.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,845,686 times
I grew up in Kentucky and I would throw Louisville in the mix. It has southern charm but still some midwest thrown in.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 1,179,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Except for Topeka, spot on. If you want to talk about the technical geographical Midwest, I'm in Dexter, Missouri, which is just 20 miles west of Sikeston. It is in far southeast Missouri, near the southern tip of Illinois, and very close to Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. This place is more influenced by the South than any other part of the Midwest...in fact I would go so far as to argue this IS the South. Very different from the rest of Missouri.
Absolutely. Hope you are enjoying yourself in my old neck of the woods

Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 AM

88 posts, read 29,392 times
I'd say Cincinnati or Louisville. The rest don't have a great deal of southern influence.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM

1,295 posts, read 638,996 times
Louisville is the most Midwestern Southern city.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Louisville is the most Midwestern Southern city.
Honestly, I think if they switched places with Jeffersonville geographically you'd be flipping that back around. Just like if Cincinnati and Newport switched sides...not a great deal of difference. Just a muddy old river between the two.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM

1,295 posts, read 638,996 times
I can't comment on the KY-IN transition around Louisville, but there's a definite cultural shift when your cross from OH to KY. It has been watered down in the past decade or so, as there has been gentrification in Covington and Newport, pushing out the blue collar folks.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I can't comment on the KY-IN transition around Louisville, but there's a definite cultural shift when your cross from OH to KY. It has been watered down in the past decade or so, as there has been gentrification in Covington and Newport, pushing out the blue collar folks.
Louisville used to seem much more southern to me than it does these days, feels more midwestern to me now than it used to. Though you don't have to go far into KY beyond Louisville to know beyond a doubt that you're in the south.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 877,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I wouldn't really call Branson midwestern. It's pretty well a southern town at it's core. Springfield could be argued either way. I certainly wouldn't cite it as an example of a midwestern city though.
Yes, that was the point. Branson is so so freaking in-your-face Southern, but it is located in Missouri, which is in the Midwest; therefore, it is a Midwestern city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan
Except for Topeka, spot on. If you want to talk about the technical geographical Midwest, I'm in Dexter, Missouri, which is just 20 miles west of Sikeston. It is in far southeast Missouri, near the southern tip of Illinois, and very close to Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. This place is more influenced by the South than any other part of the Midwest...in fact I would go so far as to argue this IS the South. Very different from the rest of Missouri.
The impression I got of Topeka was very working-class and pretty similar to much of the central South (OKC, Dallas, etc). Sort of a combination of Oklahoma and the Rust Belt.
But I was only there for about a day, so I could be dead wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.