Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times

Advertisements

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we seem to be having more and more drivers
who just drive with their brights on without ever dimming them. I mentioned this
to a lady I work with and she said she could not see unless she drove with hers on.
I asked her if she worried about the other drivers being blinded by her bright lights
and she said no. We should all be a little more thoughtful on the road, especially
when it is dark out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Occasionally I run into this or even worse- no headlights on(). I don't think that the woman should probably be driving at night if she can't see without brights on. I restrict my night driving for the same reason although I won't use my brights. City driving is pretty easy without brights on due to the lighting but rural areas can be spooky

Yes, driving with brights on in traffic is a big hazard not to mention thoughtless.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 AM

477 posts, read 802,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Occasionally I run into this or even worse- no headlights on(). I don't think that the woman should probably be driving at night if she can't see without brights on. I restrict my night driving for the same reason although I won't use my brights. City driving is pretty easy without brights on due to the lighting but rural areas can be spooky

Yes, driving with brights on in traffic is a big hazard not to mention thoughtless.
I agree.

It really bugs me when I see vehicles with brights on, never dimming them,
when right behind me their light beams shine into my rearview mirror and almost blind me, not good.

I also restrict my night driving as my night vision is poor

Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we seem to be having more and more drivers
who just drive with their brights on without ever dimming them. I mentioned this
to a lady I work with and she said she could not see unless she drove with hers on.
I asked her if she worried about the other drivers being blinded by her bright lights
and she said no. We should all be a little more thoughtful on the road, especially
when it is dark out.
Sometimes you forget that you have your brights on. Occasionally someone will flash me and I will realize that I have forgotten to dim them. However, if someone passes me in a no-passing zone, I will not dim them. If they are that stupid, they can deal with my bright lights in their rear window. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Are brights the same thing as high beams?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
yes bright lights are high beams, the angle is the problem. If she always drives like that I'm surprised she hasn't gotten pulled over. In most states it is illegal to use brights when you are approaching vehicles. You will definitely get a ticket. If she can't see she might need to clean her headlight assemblies or replace her regular bulbs. You could always brake check them, that is what I would do. If she is driving with those lights on because of the fog in the area, that actually makes it worse. A quick google found 500 feet for oncoming traffic and 300 feet for cars traveling your direction.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Some newer cars have very bright lights when they are on regular, my friend has a newer bmw and people always flash him even though his high beams arent even on.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:47 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I don't use them unless I'm on some sort of country road with no lights, but people here seem to use them just to be annoying sometimes. I HATE when some idiot has their high beams on and comes up behind me.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Not often, but in the summer of 2011 I drove at night on a small unfamiliar highway from Pasco, Washington to Walla Walla, Washington and I swear every single vehicle going in the opposite direction had their high beams on and refused to dim them. It was very annoying to keep getting blinded like that! Fortunately I haven't experienced that problem since. (With the exception of maybe an oddball here or there which can happen, but not every single vehicle). Maybe it is just a local thing in that area of my state?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Americans become more and more inconsiderate every year.

This little bit of selfishness might get them killed. It's beyond me why they want a 2,000 pound gasoline filled bomb coming straight at them being driven by a blinded driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.