Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 AM

82 posts, read 166,692 times

Advertisements

African-Americans should strive to do well in whatever city they live in. Most immigrant especially Hispanics and Asians when they come to America they mostly focus on those cities where the job markets are good. African-American don't do this. We foolishly go by popularity of cities with the most clubs, bars, hip-hop joints as being cool to move to. Some even judge a place by how many black's live there. If everyone is just going to move to a city because of how many blacks live there then all blacks should just move to Detroit, Gary, Ind. or New Orleans, since these cities have huge black populations. On the other hand cities with much smaller black populations may be far better in terms of jobs, careers, safety and good schools. Say for example which city would be better for African-Americans.....Detroit or Phoenix. Far more blacks live in Detroit but blacks have far better opportunity in Phoenix than Detroit, and certainly better climate, better jobs opportunity, less crime, better schools, and far better homes.

In my opinion I would choose the following ten cities as the best areas for African-Americans in 2013.
1. Houston 2. Dallas 3. Washington DC-Alexandria 4. Charlotte 5. Orlando 6. Columbus, Ohio 7. Atlanta 8. Nashville 9. Raleigh 10. Phoenix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:26 AM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamalc View Post
African-Americans should strive to do well in whatever city they live in. Most immigrant especially Hispanics and Asians when they come to America they mostly focus on those cities where the job markets are good. African-American don't do this. We foolishly go by popularity of cities with the most clubs, bars, hip-hop joints as being cool to move to. Some even judge a place by how many black's live there. If everyone is just going to move to a city because of how many blacks live there then all blacks should just move to Detroit, Gary, Ind. or New Orleans, since these cities have huge black populations. On the other hand cities with much smaller black populations may be far better in terms of jobs, careers, safety and good schools. Say for example which city would be better for African-Americans.....Detroit or Phoenix. Far more blacks live in Detroit but blacks have far better opportunity in Phoenix than Detroit, and certainly better climate, better jobs opportunity, less crime, better schools, and far better homes.

In my opinion I would choose the following ten cities as the best areas for African-Americans in 2013.
1. Houston 2. Dallas 3. Washington DC-Alexandria 4. Charlotte 5. Orlando 6. Columbus, Ohio 7. Atlanta 8. Nashville 9. Raleigh 10. Phoenix
You' are woefully misinformed and are in dire need of education on this issue. Historically and presently, African Americans have indeed done like other Americans and have migrated to cities where the jobs are. It just so happens that many of those cities also have a plethora of options for socialization and nightlife (e.g., Atlanta, DC), which is important primarily for younger folks of any race but less so for older folks. And in terms of judging a city by how many Blacks live there, that has to do with personal comfort levels and ensuring that a city has enough of a cultural infrastructure if that sort of thing is important to you. It's not about having the most Blacks, but rather enough Blacks from a comfort/cultural perspective.

Even your wholesale dismissing of Detroit in favor of Phoenix doesn't work because in spite of all of its problems, metro Detroit still has some of the best suburbs in the country with good jobs, good schools, etc. Furthermore, while I understand why it was important in years past to come up with such "best cities for Blacks" lists, these days that's going to largely be determined by career field, stage in life (college grad, working professional, retiree), personal preferences, etc. so there are still many reasons why Detroit might rank favorably over Phoenix for a Black person or a person of any race. At this point, such lists are unnecessary IMO.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,971 times
who cares where they live everyone has a right to live wherever they want whether its the city, suburbs or country.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,906,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zameer View Post
who cares where they live everyone has a right to live wherever they want whether its the city, suburbs or country.
Tell that to the white conservatives who think we're still in the 1950s, the limousine liberal white yuppies who give the stink eye and cold shoulder to equally successful blacks, and talking-out-of-their-a** Afrocentric militant internet black revolutionary d-bags who shoves down their ideology and groupthink on all other blacks who just want to live their lives.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM

211 posts, read 516,986 times
I would have to say the DC metro area, and Austin, Texas. Both diverse cities of America with a handful of educated professionals of all races.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,389,882 times
As a black male the real question should be which Cities are more Globally minded versus Cultural minded. If you have the right set of skills you can live anywhere and be sucessful in the world regardless of your ethnicity.

For instance I live in Atlanta, and it's sad that most black owned business are hair salons, barber shops.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,157,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's likely to be quite favorable given voting patterns in the region. Of course you'll find conservatives there as you would anywhere, but it's well known that DC proper and much of the region is solidly blue.
This. I had no idea what the heck Kelli was talking about when this came up.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 5,389,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This list doesn't surprise me (or almost doesn't) at all. Reason being most of the towns that have higher Black income than Atlanta on the list are towns that have higher wages and higher cost of living for both whites and blacks alike. Those towns also have much lower numbers of Blacks than Atlanta (with the exception of D.C., NYC and Chicago).

One thing that pulls ATLs Black median income down is the fact that there unfortunately happen to be a large number of underclass blacks from Atlanta (and newcomers) that are underachievers. They expect to come to Atlanta or live here and get far with only a high school education which is difficult to do anywhere now adays. The flip side of that however is that there are also a very high number of very well educated Blacks in Atlanta as well. It's consistently the top or close to top in numbers of college educated Black professionals in the nation. It's just that like I said the large number of lower class lower income Blacks here as well brings down the median statistics.

Actually, I was surprised to see so many cities that are supposed to have better economies right now than Atlanta but have lower paid Black Males. Like Boston, Minneapolis and Seattle.
You are partially correct, however what about black males that get out of prison, and want be able to get a decent paying job. I would say that could factor in also.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:22 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
For instance I live in Atlanta, and it's sad that most black owned business are hair salons, barber shops.
Do you have a source for this claim?

Although the information is a little dated, this is what I've found: "However, the most surprising information in terms of Atlanta was that the majority of black owned firms are in the professional services industry."

Atlanta 5th of top cities for black-owned businesses - Atlanta Startup Business | Examiner.com

And in case you're wondering, professional services industrial subsectors include accounting, architectural services, engineering services, legal services, and management consulting. The Professional Services Industry in the United States | SelectUSA

Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 PM

3,681 posts, read 7,185,945 times
Dallas is still a little racist, Atlanta and DC are the best choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.