U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,512,045 times
Reputation: 1327

Advertisements

What are the best cities for professional african americans to live in?

The cities would have to be integrated, racially diverse and accepting, have a vast amount of african americans in the middle, upper middle class and possess a strong job economy.
So far I know Houston TX, Dallas Tx, Columbus OH, Jackonsonville fla, Atlanta GA, Washington D.C, Raleigh N.C., Chicago IL, and Memphis TN are on that list is there any others?

I know 1 city thats not on that list and thats pittsburgh pa.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM
 
34,335 posts, read 42,746,308 times
Reputation: 7039
Is Jacksonville up there? As for Pittsburgh, what about parts of the East Side and some of the Eastern suburbs? Nashville may be up there. To be honest, you can find your criteria to some degree in any metro with at least a notable amount of diversity/Black people. I will say and may have to review this, but the Ithaca NY metro may have the highest percentage of Blacks(25 and older) with a Bachelors Degree or higher.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
 
929 posts, read 1,149,799 times
Reputation: 1347
If I see one more of these threads. African Americans can prosper in any city they want to. I live in Phoenix which isn't the blackest city in the country but there are quite a few black professionals/yuppie types here doing well. Theres also a strong black professional network in the Phoenix area. Of course you can't beat cities like Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as having a decent black professional population. There is no "Best City" for African American professionals. It's all about your career field and what you want out of a city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,512,045 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
If I see one more of these threads. African Americans can prosper in any city they want to. I live in Phoenix which isn't the blackest city in the country but there are quite a few black professionals/yuppie types here doing well. Theres also a strong black professional network in the Phoenix area. Of course you can't beat cities like Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as having a decent black professional population. There is no "Best City" for African American professionals. It's all about your career field and what you want out of a city.
yeah..right..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,512,045 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Jacksonville up there? As for Pittsburgh, what about parts of the East Side and some of the Eastern suburbs? Nashville may be up there. To be honest, you can find your criteria to some degree in any metro with at least a notable amount of diversity/Black people. I will say and may have to review this, but the Ithaca NY metro may have the highest percentage of Blacks(25 and older) with a Bachelors Degree or higher.
Yeah I considered jackonsville fla I will be sending out resumes to them tonight
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
 
34,335 posts, read 42,746,308 times
Reputation: 7039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Yeah I considered jackonsville fla I will be sending out resumes to them tonight
Does it fit the criteria?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
 
13,053 posts, read 8,807,338 times
Reputation: 6731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
The cities would have to be integrated, racially diverse and accepting, have a vast amount of african americans in the middle, upper middle class and possess a strong job economy.
So far I know Houston TX, Dallas Tx, Columbus OH, Jackonsonville fla, Atlanta GA, Washington D.C, Raleigh N.C., Chicago IL, and Memphis TN are on that list is there any others?


The main thing is that it will depend on your career field. While I certainly recognize the value of living in a city with an abundance of cultural amenities that cater to Blacks, it should also be realized that Blacks are dispersing a bit more beyond the traditional "best cities for Blacks."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM
 
130 posts, read 142,365 times
Reputation: 102
Detroit


Jk


I think the west coast is the best place for african americans since its very diverse. 1. Seattle 2. SoCal
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
 
1,836 posts, read 1,263,660 times
Reputation: 880
Everywhere
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,512,045 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does it fit the criteria?
From the information I have gathered on thee other site it does.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top