Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times

Advertisements

I saw someone say that the west coast is a good place for African American's. That may be so if you are a Black male since, because that are pairing up with White, Hispanics, and Asian Women. However for the African American Women it is a darn nightmare and certainly not a place anywhere especially San Diego California for African American Women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:08 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchaladyjay View Post
It is very sad that we have to ask these questions....and I ask myself this all the time, it's just a honest reaction because as Black Americans, we still aren't very well received, period.

It's not that we want to live separate, we don't...We want to live accepted and respected and in peace like everyone else.

I have been in the I.T. field for 7 years now, I would say that I am in the "expert" or "senior" part of my career but yet, I sense the disappointment or sense of let down when I enter the room whether it be for an interview that I am attending or conducting or a meeting where I am in charge. So don't look at the post as "us" wanting to live separate, it's not the case.

I don't necessarily agree with the poster who say Blacks in San Francisco aren't getting jobs, the job market for anyone in the Bay Area is tough without the right background. I work in the San Francisco Bay Area as a double negative a Black Woman in I.T.

You can't be denied with the right background and training. Period. Atlanta is not where you should run to for anything because Atlanta the city is small, you will have a rude awakening in the 'burbs or OTP as Atl-iens like to call it. I got called three N-words (yes, I counted them) before I came back home to the Bay. And please don't make excuses this was 2012-2013.

Lastly, I like Dallas, there is the "Interstate 30 Racial Divide" and I like to live in great school districts to avoid having to pay private school tuition, so that always meant, don't do DISD and I had no problems in the Addison/Far North Area ---- BUT I don't like Addison police, idle time on an officer's hand means no good for anyone of any race.

Thank you for bearing with me a had a ton of thoughts and comments as I read through this post.
Funny you mentioned that bolded part. I live in Arizona and met a female African American entrepreneur who had recently moved from Atlanta and was happy she left there for Arizona. Surprised by this I delved a little deeper and asked her why she felt that way? The five words she used in her answer caught me off guard, especially in reference to Atlanta which is considered the mecca for African Americans. She said, "Slavery is alive and well!" She then gave me details of numerous incidents her family had living in the suburbs right outside of Atlanta. Atlanta, she said, was still run by the good old boy network in spite of the black faces that are propped up. She reiterated how happy she was to be in Arizona. I am still in shock.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:59 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Funny you mentioned that bolded part. I live in Arizona and met a female African American entrepreneur who had recently moved from Atlanta and was happy she left there for Arizona. Surprised by this I delved a little deeper and asked her why she felt that way? The five words she used in her answer caught me off guard, especially in reference to Atlanta which is considered the mecca for African Americans. She said, "Slavery is alive and well!" She then gave me details of numerous incidents her family had living in the suburbs right outside of Atlanta. Atlanta, she said, was still run by the good old boy network in spite of the black faces that are propped up. She reiterated how happy she was to be in Arizona. I am still in shock.
Atlanta is the " Black Mecca " despite the fact that the income inequality gap between blacks and whites there being the widest in the Nation among major cities. Atlanta is also the " City Too Busy To Hate " despite the fact that it's among the most racially divided major cities in the Nation. Myths vs facts. No wonder why Atlanta is regarded as the most image conscious city in the land.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I wonder which suburb she lived in?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Atlanta is the " Black Mecca " despite the fact that the income inequality gap between blacks and whites there being the widest in the Nation among major cities. Atlanta is also the " City Too Busy To Hate " despite the fact that it's among the most racially divided major cities in the Nation. Myths vs facts. No wonder why Atlanta is regarded as the most image conscious city in the land.
As one who has never lived in Atlanta, but whose view on the city was shaped by friends and strangers who live there, I guess I fell for the myths. Not saying it isn't a nice city, but I am surprised to hear these views about it from African Americans.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:07 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Wherever you see blacks pushing the most benzes: NYC metro.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:11 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
I lived in Huston four years ago and I loved it. I have family in Atlanta, and I loved it when I visited 15 years ago. I also understand that the question is not geared toward men. The question is where is there a place to live and work for black women who desire to excel, thrive and live in peace just like most people do. I would like to know where I want to live, because I am looking to purchase a income property and to finish my Bachelors' degree, in a safe and wonderful environment that doesn't include funny acting people. I myself is originally from Milwaukee, WI. and now live in Minneapolis and it is horrible how we are treated as black people. Yes, I know that there are places that are like this, but not everywhere. Texas is the 4th largest state in the US, and there is somewhere for everyone, and it's just people networking to get a feel of what is available. Whatever information I can help someone with I would happily give it. I am one and half years away from getting my degree in Social Worker. If you are anything like me, you want to enjoy as much of your life as you can, while you are still on this earth. I am working toward giving back, because I know what it is like to faced racism at its' worst. So all I want is to know what is the safest place to live as much as I possibly can as a single black woman who would love to have a social life and one day get married thru it all. And it's not a place you would put yourself in. Would you want someone to give you any kind of information, poor neighborhood, not a good University to finish your education, meet good people like yourself? Yes, I know that it has changed in the last four years since I been there in Houston, but I still miss it and remember a lot of things and places I enjoyed. I just fell ill and now I am reading to start again, which will be in 4 months. So please good info would go a long way in helping me choose the right place to live and go to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.